WAG USAG numbers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PNWMtnDude

Proud Parent
Are there publically available numbers regarding the number of current gymnasts in USAG, grouped by level? The only published statistics I could find are from 2008. It was fascinating looking at the groups and the data trends. Wouldn't mind seeing if those trends are still valid (like the large drop from Level 5 to Level 8).
Thanks!

Reactions: sce
I’d love to see a more current one as well. I wonder why it appears to have been published only in that one specific year- nothing prior, nothing since?

I’d love to see a more current one as well. I wonder why it appears to have been published only in that one specific year- nothing prior, nothing since?

I've seen numbers for at least two different years, don't have time to find them both right now though.

I’m also curious to see the difference comparing the “new” levels with the old- especially how level 6 has affected numbers in 5 and 7 and how Xcel’s growth has affected compulsory numbers.

Oh and that makes me think I’d like to see numbers in the Xcel levels as well (and while they’re at it, gimme numbers on how many optionals did compulsory seasons leading up to optionals and how many competed Xcel seasons instead).

I also wonder what time of year they take this snapshot because many gyms, like ours, compete two levels in the same calendar year sometimes (such as level silver in spring followed by 4 in the fall or 5 the next fall immediately followed by 7 in spring)

Oh well, I believe I’m overthinking :)

I searched a little and found this thesis paper on gymnastics attrition written in 2016 using USAG data.

Some numbers are provided for each JO level for the years of 2013-2016 starting on page 46. On page 48- I think it was- the author states USAG only starting tracking national numbers in 2013 and prior to that it was done on a state level which is why her numbers are limited to those years.

Anyway, this was the most detailed I have found so far other than that USAG publication from 2008.
http://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1117&context=honorstheses

I searched a little and found this thesis paper on gymnastics attrition written in 2016 using USAG data.

Some numbers are provided for each JO level for the years of 2013-2016 starting on page 46. On page 48- I think it was- the author states USAG only starting tracking national numbers in 2013 and prior to that it was done on a state level which is why her numbers are limited to those years.

Anyway, this was the most detailed I have found so far other than that USAG publication from 2008.
http://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1117&context=honorstheses

I looked pretty hard a few months ago for a writing project and that was the best I could find. I didn't have time to put in a formal research request to USAG.

Thanks for that, your search skills are better than mine! It's really interesting to see the magnitude of how the compulsory changes in 2013 affected the L5 roster. It closely resembles the L5-> L6 2008 figures that were out there, which makes sense. There are also 1000 more girls in L10 than in 2008, too!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back