Parents 1st meet report - the good, the bad, the ugly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

DD's team had their first meet this weekend. She didn't compete, but I so wanted to do a meet report for her team. Counting the days until that 6th birthday!

It was the first meet ever for all of these girls and they are level 4's. They started on bars and this is the event where I knew it was going to be pretty rough. We had a few girls that missed both their front hip circle and mill circle, thus a pretty low score. The rest did okay and made it through the routines, but not great scores (mid 7's to 8). The one girl who I expected to do really well, fell, but still had our highest score. 2 basically had never made it through a bar routine in their life and I really think they should have scratched bars, but I'm just a mom what do I know!

Beam I was expecting to go much better. The girls must have been really nervous because they made strange mistakes. Several actually forgot parts of their routine and turned to ask the coach what to do! It was surprising because they do so many beam routines. They just got flustered. One girl actually was so nervous she fell just standing up after her mount. In all we had some really low scores, but a 9.0 from one girl and a few mid 8's.

Floor could only get better right? It did. 2 girls required spots on their ROBHS so they got mid 7's. One girl made all her skills, but totally screwed up other parts. She actually did a tuck jump instead of a split jump at the beginning of the routine. She was one that also forgot her beam. I've seen this girl do floor with no problem. It was really strange. Then she got turned around on some other parts and went the wrong way. She got a mid 7. The rest were mid 8's and 2 low 9's.

Vault went okay. They were all in the 8-9 range.

Some of the girls were obviously really unprepared on bars, but for the most part they just made alot of mistakes because it was the first meet. I have to say that our coach did a very poor job of preparing them to compete. They had never practiced saluting before and after or what to do it they missed a skill. Some girls actually forgot to salute. All week I kept asking if they would have a practice meet during regular practice, but I didn't want to seem pushy. The girls could have really used that. Add that to the fact that their coaches weren't there (family emergency) and the L5/6 coach stayed with them. That had to bother them a little.

I also have to rant just a little and forgive me if you disagree. There were some teams competing that had girls scoring 9.6+ on every event. One team had two 9.95's! A 9.95 on the first meet of the season? What is there left to strive for? These gyms have all their girls do 2 years of L4. The first year they do achievement and the second year they do placement. We just do placement and move on. Our gym doesn't view L4 as a real level. It's an introduction to competition and not a place to spend several years. So in comparison our team looks horrible! Their achievement teams scored today about the same our girls scored. I know this has been discussed before and I'm not saying it's wrong to repeat level 4. I just think if you are scoring that high the first meet of the season it's a little crazy. You have obviously more than mastered level 4. The interesting things about these gyms is that they don't do well as optionals if they have many optionals at all. They will have some level 7's, maybe some 8's and rarely a 9. While DD's gym regularly has 5 L10, 6 L9 etc. I guess DD's gym just has a different philosophy. They have huge teams too. They had 30ish L4's each with their achievement and placement teams combined.

They have 2 weeks until their next meet so hopefully now the girls have some idea of where they need to work. Honestly the girls were all thrilled! They thought they did great. The two girls who really couldn't do bars joined the team in June and they just weren't ready on bars. One moved from another gym and the other moved from a Level 3 class because her mom raised a stink. Why move a girl up that obviously isn't ready in June, the end of June at that, when competition is so soon? She scored so low on bars they didn't even post it and the other got a 5! The others can all do bars, but they are hit or miss on the mill circle.

In all it was interesting. It gave me an idea where DD really needs to work if she ends up doing any L4 meets in the spring. I don't really care that she does. She needs lots of polish. I tried to picture what she would have scored if she had competed. I went in thinking she would have done really well, but then others made such unexpected mistakes I really can't say. Who knows how she'd react under the pressure. She's probably their strongest bar worker, but definitely the weakest vaulter.

Ok, thanks for reading! Can't wait to read other meet reports!

I remember Pickle's first L4 meet. It was a disaster. The girls were not fully prepared, our team leos hadn't come in yet, and our coach got lost and was late. We looked like the Bad News Bears. One girl fell off beam 4 times and got a 6.1. She ended up getting the highest beam score in L4 States that year. Go figure!

Our gym used to be one that automatically kept girls at L4 for two years and just recently stopped the practice. I'm not sure what changed. I agree with you that scoring a 9.95 doesn't give you much to strive for during the rest of the season, but if it was on vault, you will be seeing a lot of those scores in future meets. There was one meet we went to in the middle of the season and I think the lowest vault score was something like a 9.4.

My daughters coaches have always been great about setting personal goals for the girls outside of scoring or placement. A goal could be something like not falling on the beam, keeping arms straight during a back hip circle, or (often in Pickle's case) not slowing down on approaching the vault. Making 5 goals won you something special (like 5 minutes play on the tumble tramp or skipping stairs for a week). This was really great for the kids who didn't make it on the podium. They knew that they had achieved something new, even if they were competing against girls who were second year L4s.

Anyway, good luck with your next meet.

I'm glad they all felt they did well. Hopefully they all enjoyed the experience. Your gym has different goals for level 4 than some other gyms. I guess you place your child at which competition philosophy you agree with! I also can't see anywhere to go for the rest of the season if you score 9.95 at the first meet. Craaaazy.

Some children compete better than they practise and some practise better than they compete. It is quite enfuriating really! My dd competes her floor and bars at her best in competition. Her beam is beautiful in practise but sadly that has never been repeated at a meet. She has a tendency to forget something in her floor routine too.

You won't know how your dd will react until she does it herself. Fingers crossed she is a sparkler on the day. And well done to her friends. They must have looked so cute out there in their competition leos all excited for their first meet.

:)First level 4 meets...especially for young 6 and 7 year olds...are always interesting to watch and full of surprises!:p You will see the team's scores go up as the season goes on and they get used to competing. Competing is oh-so-different from doing routines in practice! Glad they all had fun and were thrilled with their performances!:)

I remember how cute daughter and teamates looked at their 1st level4 meet.. It was an eyeopener to see how good some of the other teams were. I did not know what to expect they only did vault at their first meet and eventually added more events as the season went on. I do not know if I agree with this philosphy but the girls got used to competing and daughter fondly remembers her first couple level 4 meets. The most important thing I think is for them to have fun and show individual improvement. I do not think it means that much to score high in their 1st year at that age. It sounds like your gym has the right idea and if they have a lot of optionals that means that they have gymnasts that are in it for the long haul. It was good that your daughter was able to watch aband I am sure she will be well prepared when she is able to compete.

I really think a mock-meet should be held prior to competing at their first meet, even for the girls that have done it before. It kind of helps get some of the jitters out and also helps the girls learn proper 'meet etiquette', like how to sit quietly, when to salute, what to do if they fall, etc. After a long summer of nothing but practicing, and even into the fall, doing nothing but practicing routines, etc, they need that extra sense of pressure if they're going to have a successful meet. This may not be the case with every competitor but it couldn't hurt, right? I hope our gym does a mock meet this year because it's dd's first year as a level 7. It will be so different from the previous 3 years, not hearing the same music over and over again and seeing different beam routines. That in itself will be nerve wracking enough!

Yes--first Level 4 meets can be very unpredictable!!! When my dd's gym usually has mock meets for the first timers just so they can get the kinks out and have a dry run through. But, believe me, even for older kids, those first meets can be nerve wracking!!! There have been several kids on dd's team that "forgot" elements of the beam routine, and got deductions for picking wedgies, brushing hair out of their face and stopping during a routine to look at the coach for a clue on what's the next move. These things all happen, and it is part of the first meet or so jitters.

Oh yes, those early meets for every level---they are sooooo interesting. For the younger ones, you see them looking around with such big eyes. To them this is the Olympics and many just clutch those ribbons like they were gold. Mock meets do help, but I think when the younger ones get taken out of the gym they have practiced in all year and are in a different place with mom and dad in the stands all the instructions given by the coaches go right out the window.

Thing is they learn and they get better at adapting to different equipment and by the end of the season you don't even recognize them.

NGL, I think you'll see that alot of gyms that mandate kids doing 2 yrs at each compulsory level don't have many optionals because the girls quit or they leave for a gym where they might get to L7 faster. Tough to convince kids and parents to stay at the compulsory level for 6 yrs.

I think that's nice how you keep track of DD's teammates, too :)

We really just have a great set of teammates and parents. I know alot of gym parents can be super competitive and can get nasty, but we have none of that yet! I do see it on our level 5 and 6 team. I hope our group never gets that way.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't feel competitive or the need to compare my DD to anyone else's. I want her to progress, but I don't feel like if someone moves faster or gets something she doesn't have that she has to compete with them. I measure her progress by what she's doing. Of course I do feel proud of her when she's the first to do something. It's natural.

I just feel as excited for other kids as my own!

Awww, there is no such thing as "ugly" in a first meet! Many of the golden oldies here at CB remember my DD's first L4 meet. She was 6 and sort of got rushed into L4 a bit. We missed alot of practice end of Summer due to vacations and Firemans convention so she missed first meet with her team. Her and another teamate went to a local meet to try to qualify for sectionals. Bars was set up right in front of the bleachers, about 2 feet away from us. DD looked at us and cousin and got case of giggles on the bars & fell off twoce. Got a whopper of a 5.8! Wost score ever, but I wouldn't trade that moment for anything! She got a 6 something on floor and beam too! I love that she wasn't upset by it all, had a great time and a good story forever! Came out of that meet all smiles, despite the 28.10 score! By L4 states she vaulted to a 4th place medal!

Don't worry, those little ones will get better & quickly! You have to start them somewhere, and for some of them it is their first time in front of large groups of people. For that reason alone I doubt I could ever do anything like gymnastics! I'm sure they all did a great job & hopefully made memories!

Yes--first Level 4 meets can be very unpredictable!!! But, believe me, even for older kids, those first meets can be nerve wracking!!! There have been several kids on dd's team that "forgot" elements of the beam routine, and got deductions for picking wedgies, brushing hair out of their face and stopping during a routine to look at the coach for a clue on what's the next move. These things all happen, and it is part of the first meet or so jitters.

The first year my dd's competed L4 the entire team got a case of the nerves and all 10 of them forgot most of the beam routine. Each meet got easier and by the end of the season, they had all qualified for states.

Check out the videos of Olivia's first Level 4 meet posted in my signature. She was nowhere prepared to compete bars but she did it. Beam, I think she looked at her coach once or twice. I look at her now and think it's hard to believe she's the same kid, especially now that she's doing Level 7 routines! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back