2010 TOPs results

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our daughter did make it to National Tops Testing as a Level 5 9yo (she is still 8, :)). She is doing the up training thing and probably just doing it for the experience, as we have discoverd that many girls gymnastics training is built specifically for this program.

As a family, we have no experience in gymnastics and thought TOPs would be a great opportunity to assess her raw talent. It is a little disappointing to read that the intent of TOPs is to discover gymnast who have a natural aptitude or inherent qualities for high level gymnastics, yet they may be under trained or not necessarily coached optimally to develop this talent at this time: Looks like in the end, it just comes down to who has been taught and prepared to pass a skills test. While my viewpoint may be biased, seems safe to say that gymnast with more natural talent are overlooked in this process because they may not currently have the best training.

It looked at first like TOPs was a system to discover gymnast who have a gift for the sport that could be developed with training. Looks like this isn't really the case. However, there is still a side of me that wouldn't be shocked if she made the team, dillusional as I may be, lol.

Notapsycho- the thing with TOPS is they have to be specifically trained for the TOPS test to succeed at it...and you're right, girls with natural talent but lousy coaching will be overlooked by this program but it's usually because the gym doesn't have a TOPS program. TOPS doesn't guarantee success in gymnastics per se but gives the girls extra conditioning and training if done right.

Notapsycho- TOPs falls under the elite umbrella and it has a stated purpose to find talented gymnasts and get them into the elite system. Coaching has a huge part in this, and one reason TOPs was established was coaches education. A kid may be the most talented athlete in the world, but without a qualified, experienced coach- it is highly unlikely that the athlete will reach her potential. You also have to have gym that is willing to participate-its very expensive to hire such coaches and send them out monthly or every other month with one or 2 kids. You will see that at Tops National Testing every kid is physically talented-the purpose of the testing is to find the best and get them into the camps (aka :"the system") The camps are great for the kids but awesome for the coaches- we learn so much form the BEST coaches out there. (I sat through Luikins lecture last year looking at him as I would if George Clooney-he is our gymnastics "movie star".)

Its ok to do TOPs just to make the kids stronger and better gymnasts.

Yes, there are gyms that train the TOPs skills in addition to the physical abilities, but truly, the skills are the basics for elite gymnastics and if you have an athlete on that path (or even a higher level optional path) the skills would be taught anyway. The purpose of TOPs is not just to train the physical abilities, but to build a foundation of basic skills & physical preparation to build on later. There are also yery young Level 8, 9's and 10''s who will be there who will test skills that they compete or do on a daily basis.

I wish your daughter the best of luck.

Our daughter did make it to National Tops Testing as a Level 5 9yo (she is still 8, :)). She is doing the up training thing and probably just doing it for the experience, as we have discoverd that many girls gymnastics training is built specifically for this program.

As a family, we have no experience in gymnastics and thought TOPs would be a great opportunity to assess her raw talent. It is a little disappointing to read that the intent of TOPs is to discover gymnast who have a natural aptitude or inherent qualities for high level gymnastics, yet they may be under trained or not necessarily coached optimally to develop this talent at this time: Looks like in the end, it just comes down to who has been taught and prepared to pass a skills test. While my viewpoint may be biased, seems safe to say that gymnast with more natural talent are overlooked in this process because they may not currently have the best training.

It looked at first like TOPs was a system to discover gymnast who have a gift for the sport that could be developed with training. Looks like this isn't really the case. However, there is still a side of me that wouldn't be shocked if she made the team, dillusional as I may be, lol.

I can relate to this post. Although my DD's gym no longer does TOPS, I have wished that they would restart the program. My little one is a toughie and a strong one, so naturally I thought she would gain a lot from it. I was told by an older parent at DD's gym that the owner/HC no longer participates because he thinks it contributes to burnout. As an educator myself, I can also relate to that idea as well. Although in the past, I had wanted DD to do TOPS ( If she was chosen/ and even suited for it) I can see that it isn't the end all for gymnasts wishing to go elite.
Talent can't be determined by just testing itself. It does have to progress naturally. The gymnast that is a natural and talented will come out regardless of TOPS. Good coaching is a must, and I see that at DD's gym. It seems like every year, their level 10's are awarded college scholarships at 95-100% of the girls. They have also produced a multitude of elites. If DD is suited for gymnastics and is talented, it will be noted by her coaches. Thus far, she is much father gymnastically than I would ever have imagined. Her coaches/gym must be doing something right and doing it without TOPS.

I also agree with the post that TOPS isn't a guarantee.

Talent can't be determined by just testing itself. It does have to progress naturally. The gymnast that is a natural and talented will come out regardless of TOPS. Good coaching is a must, and I see that at DD's gym. It seems like every year, their level 10's are awarded college scholarships at 95-100% of the girls. They have also produced a multitude of elites. If DD is suited for gymnastics and is talented, it will be noted by her coaches. Thus far, she is much father gymnastically than I would ever have imagined. Her coaches/gym must be doing something right and doing it without TOPS.

You are in a lovely position. Your gym has a system of successful college and elite gymnasts. Your dd has good progressive coaching and like you see if she is suited she is in the right place to make it all the way. Your gym does not need TOPS.

I think TOPs was set in place to help other gyms onto the 'ladder' so to speak. Give them a framework of physical abilities and skills that would provide a sound basis for elite gymnastics. Support and advice for the coaches when they bring gymnasts to national testing and TOps camps.

I understand the above posts for sure and understand. My concern is that this is what TOPs has become (or has always been), not what it states it was intended for on the USAG website. But hey, a lot of things in life are like that. I truly think our daughter is an elite athlete and has the correct mental makeup to perform at a high level. I would say that our gym is the best in our area and has some very good coaches, they just don't have the resources of the best in the world.

Like I said earlier, the Talent Opportunity Program portrays itself as trying to discover diamonds in the rough so to speak.

I think we are starting to lean towards the route of getting an assessment of her from an elite gym and decide if we want to make a sacrifice for her gymnastics if she has elite ability.

Seasoned parents and new parents

Thank you, thank you, thank you to bookworm and gymcoach34 for sharing your knowledge and experience with TOPS. You both certainly have been around the block a lot of times. Notapsycho and I are in the same boat. Being very new to gymnastics, we, or at least my family feel priviledged that our daughter was even singled out as a talented gymnast. And as much wisdom and truth gymcoach34 and bookworm have tried to instill on us, we newbies tend to still throw all caution to the wind.

My 9 year old is clearly just learning the skills necessary to make it to the TOPS camp. I can honestly say she probably learned 30% of the skills over the past two months, maybe learning another 40% right now and has still to be introduced to 30%. Going against the best gymnasts in her age group across the nation who have been training for a year or two compared to her measely 1 month puts her in grave disadvantage. And even two months ago when they started earnest (maybe 20 minutes a day) abilities training, I did not see the benefit of training them if they would never qualify. But the expense was neglible then. Now with the added NEW skills necessary and certainly no longer negligble expense, I am again seriously questioning if we should undergo the process. Yet as a parent who wants to give her daughter every chance, we will go through the process and hopefully learn from it. I however have my eyes opened thanks to providing me with some background on the difficulty of TOPS. I have spoken with my 9 year old as well and have assured her we'd be proud of whatever she attains and that she should too. We'll just have to do our best and who knows . . . .

NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL FIRST WE DREAM!

Good luck to all the DDs testing for TOPS, regionally and Nationally! To have made it this far is proof they each have what it takes!

Here is a lovely video of girls getting ready to go for national TOPs testing which I thought you might find interesting.

The older girl is 11 (mostly in the red leotard) the other 2 are 10

The older girl has nice form. They are working on the skills needed for national testing.

YouTube - TOPs Nationals 2010

Here is a lovely video of girls getting ready to go for national TOPs testing which I thought you might find interesting.

The older girl is 11 (mostly in the red leotard) the other 2 are 10

The older girl has nice form. They are working on the skills needed for national testing.

YouTube - TOPs Nationals 2010

Wow! I am assuming (or hoping) those skills are not all required for the 9YO because I don't think my daughter even knows how to do a back tuck on beam. These gymnasts are pretty amazing. Gymnastics is such a difficult sport. I still cannot comprehend these little people's tenacity, talent and dedication. When I look at my daughter I am in awe because of what she is willing to go through for the love of this sport. Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed it.

Don't worry dancengym! That's a 10 yo skill! No doubt your dd will get it some time this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back