A new this week I accomplished.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Great job everyone!! I'm still working on my kickovers also. I always had horrible shoulder flexibility (couldn't even straighten my arms in a bridge a year ago) and I've been working really hard to improve it! I can kickover off things that are about 4 inches off the ground and I'm so close to being able to do them on the floor!

That's great about the kickovers! I can almost get my arms straight in bridge, I think they're only a tiny bit bent now. I've also been practicing bridge with my feet up on a mat about 12 inches high. It seems to be a good way to improve shoulder flexiblity. I can't kick over from there yet, perhaps eventually I will.

Tonight the coach had us practicing jump-backs and snap-downs, preparation drills for flic-flacs (BHS). I'd love to be able to do a flic-flac, perhaps I'll get there one day. I'm also getting quite close to a front split, with left leg in front.

That's really good! I can't wait until I can do a bhs! And I know you'll get your kickover eventually. I never thought I would be where I am now, and it's definitely a very long process but it'll be so rewarding when we do get it :] My bed is kind of high off the ground, but sometimes when I don't have a lot of time I'll put my feet up there and push into my shoulders just so I can get some kind of stretch without worrying about it being too much of stretch and having to make sure I'm super warmed up.

Great job you guys! It stinks getting older. I used to be able to backbend and nearly put my hands to my feet...now it hurts just to backbend (I'm working on it though). I usually have practice on Sundays, but today before I started coaching, I decided to work on my punch fronts...and to my surprise...they were great!! I also decided in the moment to try my aerial (haven't done that in 10+ years)...I actually landed it! I'm so happy! I feel like I've accomplished something this week :)

I got my millcircle(or stride circle, depending on how you say it!) almost all the way around, I have to stop dropping my chest at the end, which is keeping me from making it all the way over the bar, but my front leg is almost completely over. Those are so much fun! Flexibilty is something I have never had an issue with, I have sublalxation in my ligaments and am way above on the hyperextenstion chart lol. Which is good for something things, not so good for others, I think it actually helped contribute to my knee injury last year. I'm getting into the habit of always landing properly, even if it means my form is a little bad the first couple of times I do something-at least that way I know I'm not going to hurt myself again. And I took my roundoff to floor again for the first time since last year. My rebound is non existent again lol, but that will come back in time. I think the 6 months I had to take off for rehab was actually really good for me, b/c I am noticing a lot of habits I had developed are going away, or have gone away, and it gives me a chance to "start over" if you will

Nicci....millcircle! I haven't tried those since I was a kid! I need to do those....fun, fun! :) I had practice with a new coach today, & I have to say that it was a blast! He kicked my behind, but it was well worth it. I worked bars mostly (yay!!!)....tuck flyaways, kips, long hang pullovers. Man, I have so pretty serious rips! They hurt like crazy, but I should have known better than to go into it with tough hands. I also did a bit of tumbling & some beam work too. I must admit, I'm really enjoying beam. I want to get my back handspring again on it, but I have a ways to go (as of now only doing on floor beam strip).

So today I did A LOT of floor work, tons of handstands(one of those basics that you really can't do too many of!). My leaps are still pretty good, almost full extensionI am currently working on working up to my FHS vault just doing some tramp skills onto a wedgemat and landing, into the pit, but it gives the same concept. Will hopefully be able to start on the vault trainer soon.

Also worked on back extension rolls and finally got it to the lvl 4 requirement today by landing in pushup position, but that was working it on a small wedgemat as well so hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be able to take it to floor, since right now I'm only working out two days a week. Still having a heck of a time putting the concept of the lvl 4 beam dismount into play. I understand the dynamics of it, but when I get into handstand, it's like my body just doesn't want to do it lol. My mill circle is now SO CLOSE. I can get my body up to where it belongs, I just have to give it that last little oomph of a couple of inches and I will have it!. I;m hoping the mill circle will help me with my FHC as well. Pullovers still suck, I can do them when I have a springboard and if I am allowed to jump into it but from a dead hang I can only get up to my mid thighs, and I'm pretty much only allowed to do them from a dead hang now. Overall a good day, and we will see what tomorrow night brings!

I've also been working on a lot of basics with my new coach. Lots of handstands, which are improving, plus cartwheels and round-offs. Also hurdles from standing going into cartwheel or round-off. We've also started doing a little bit of basic vault work, which is really fun.

On Sundays when my coach isn't there I've been practising back extension rolls. I can get to front support on floor although I don't think my arms are straight yet. Have been trying to get to handstand down a wedge, and the other night I tried them rolling down a mat placed over a springboard which makes a lower wedge. When I roll down a wedge or spring board I have been able to get straight arms which is cool.

I'm also trying to do pullovers from two feet instead of stepping into it. I've only managed it once or twice, the rest of the time I just get half way up my thighs like you, nicci! I can't do them from a hang at all. I keep practising in the hope that I'll gradually improve and get there one day. I can remember when I first started it took a while to do it even from stepping into it and I got there eventually. I'm also still practising climbing up onto the low bar and jumping to the high bar. I also tried out a cast to sole circle dismount in straddle, I'm hoping to get to a straddle on eventually.

It's so funny about the pullover Nikki, because I have tried to do them stepping into it like I used to, and I have NO idea how to do it anymore lol! It feels like such a different movement and makes no sense to me anymore :) Keep working on toes to the nose, it DOES continue to get better!

I worked on kips again last Thursday and I'm getting so close!!! Unfortunately I've had to miss a couple practices lately and the inconsistency is probably hurting my kips...hopefully I'll be able to make one next practice though! On floor we worked on lots of handstands and cartwheels, which you can never do too much of. Also tried out a couple simple beam mounts a few weeks ago since I can't do much else on beam with my ankle. Still have almost no skills on everything except bars thanks to my ankle injury...but on the plus side, I almost have all the level 5 bars skills!

Wow, I wish I could do a kip. I love bars! I decided to practise tap swings the other night and succeeded in getting two rips. It was fun doing the swings though, as it was only my second time. I think I started to get the hang of the tap. I now have two big holes in my left palm, hope they heal up quickly. Also practised some more back extension rolls, rolling down a mat on top of a beatboard. I think I'm starting to get closer to handstand position.

That's really good! I really want to learn a back extension roll! They seem like they would be so much fun once you get them. I worked on them at home once a little over a year ago, before I started classes, but I was doing them the cheater way where you push up into a handstand instead of going with straight arms. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post that video on here. And I know what you mean about the rips! I used to get so many from working on tap swings and I got a pretty big on last Thursday from all those kips.

So, I'm really frustrated with myself today! I had my normal Saturday practice & completely flopped on bars today for the most part. :( For some reason, I was afraid of squat on jump to high bar!! Random! On the bright side of bars, I landed my tuck flyaway onto a mat into the pit! Vault was pretty good...working on cleaning up my FHS there. Beam was fun today...worked a few BHS & a few BT on beam!

Man do I wish I could do half the things you guys talk about on here. I think I might be jealous :). Although I have decided to get over a few things and have started to learn a handspring vault and a back tuck. I have issues with going backwards and vault.

it must be the spring weather bringing us older ladies back to gymnastics. i'm enjoying seeing the new people that have been posting, and there have been 3 new people at my gym!
i'm so glad that i have gymnastics to get me through all the drama going on in my life! i've cut back to two days a week because my shoulder is still bothering me enough that i can't do a standing bhs. but i've added in yoga. these groupon and living social deals are amazing.
this weekend is my state meet for power tumbling so i've been working on that a lot more than usual. in artistic, i've really been working on my form.
happy spring

Tonight I did another kick over on floor, well, again down a wedgemat. Only could get one done though, but hey, it's one more to add! So I just did a whole ton off of the high end of the wedgemat, about a foot, 1.5 or so high. I am going to do the fun meet that one of the gyms I go to is hosting this summer! Should be wicked fun, especially because it's not really a competition, but will be a nice way to get used to competing. Everyone gets trophies and ribbons too lol. It's in June, and by them i would like to actually have my kickover on floor, perhaps even a BWO too. BHS not counting on by a LONG shot! Also want to work on my squat on, and would like to have my mill circle by then as well. I think that is pretty realistic. I have a 3/4 handstand on beam, just can't seem to get it up vertical, it's so frustrating! But I am afraid of my shoulder giving out still, even though it has only done it once in about a year. So i guess I will just keep plugging away at that too, it will come, oh yes, it will come! Tonight we also practiced half ons, those were pretty fun! I would love to try one over the vault table, so maybe next time we do vault I will have the chance to do it that way, instead of just onto the fat mat. Overall a good night, and can't wait until Friday when I have more practice!!!

That sounds great! I need a much better bridge before I try a kick over, I don't think I could even 'kick' at the moment. What is a half on?

Last night I had another great training session. Lots more handstands, cartwheels and round-offs. My handstands have improved a lot since beginning the new structured class. My cartwheels are also improving, my round-offs have improved some but are still pretty rough. I tried some straight arm backward rolls but wasn't very successful. They're great down a little slope, but can't quite get there on the flat yet.

Then at the end, the coach got me to try a cartwheel on the beam. Just the floor beam with a little mat over the top. At first I couldn't get my feet on the beam, then I got one on, then finally I got two feet on a few times. So that's a new skill I'm learning and I'm feeling excited.

Good job Nicki on the beam cartwheels, you'll have them on the high beam by masters next year :)

Hearing everyone talking about BWO and kickovers really makes me want to try, but I don't have a lot of back flexibility. Had a good night last night, continued on the handspring vault prep. Then since there weren't very many of us we started working on front layouts, into the pit and from a spring board. I didn't quite get past the front tuck but did manage to get past a block I have: I can do front tucks from a run into the pit, even onto a mat but put a springboard in front of me and I don't do it. I think it started when I bit my tongue trying it when I was a teenager. However, I now have two weeks off with the school holidays so will probably have to work my way back up to handspring vault after then.

My goal for the next school term of gym is to do a back tuck into the pit and the handspring vault. Should be doable. I have 10 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back