WAG A newbie with a lot of questions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ErinEclectic

Proud Parent
Hi, I'm new here! I have a few questions about a situation I've found myself in. My gymmie (age 6) loves gym and wants to be on team really badly. She's been doing gymnastics since 2 ½ and we've been at this gym for 2 years now. She was in preschool rec classes until this last fall when she was moved up to beginner rec. The last two years she has also done their rec league, which means an extra day of gym, learning routines (this year's routine she learned was the old level 2) and performing at several in house practice meets where they get ribbons just for participating. Last week she was moved up to advanced rec and invited to be on what they call Super Girls II that would start in a few weeks. Basically, I was given a letter inviting her and saying that she will be moved to practicing 2 days a week, 2 ½ hours total (right now she's at that because I have her coming to 2 rec classes a week) and she will participate in rec league again. However, if she has the skills in time, she can choose to compete in Xcel. I also would put her in an additional tumbling class for the summer.

Here's the tricky part. We've just found out that we're moving this summer to a city 2 hours away. This move could be at the end of June, it could be in August, we don't know yet. I don't want to screw up my little gymmie's progress though and she would be heartbroken if we went to a gym that wasn't letting her work towards team. She loves competing and being in the spotlight. She doesn't stop bouncing and prancing the whole meet!

So, here are my questions:

1. What skills would she need to compete Xcel Bronze? Can she compete Xcel Bronze and then move to JO 4 when she's ready?
2. How soon should I tell the gym we're at that we're moving? I don't want her to get shunted aside and lose the skills she just picked up.
3. What do I need to ask the gyms in our new town to make sure it's a good fit for my daughter and what she wants to do? It will be the first time we've had a choice in what gym to go to.
4. Should I talk to gyms in the new town now or should I wait for her to get a few more skills and polish from the advanced class/ Super Girls/ tumbling classes first? How much "warning" should I give the new gyms that I want to transfer her into their program?
5. I also want to join a social group here on Chalkbucket, but where do I fit? Pre-team?

Thanks a ton!
ErinEclectic

Welcome ericeclectic!

1. I don't know anything about xcel skills but I googled it and below are the skill requirements for the program. I do know you are able to switch from xcel to JO. I am more familiar with the JO program.

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/2013SkillsChartVaultValues.pdf

2. I would hope your gym would not sideline your daughter just because you are leaving; after all, you are still paying tuition. But I know some gyms could do this and if this is a concern, you don't need to tell them until the very end. If your daughter was in team, that is a different story. Team members abide by different rules and commitments. I think rec is very lax in their commitments unless you signed a contract and/or are required to give notice by a certain time.

3. Many gyms allow incoming gymnasts to attend a practice for free. So, I would do this to see how your daughter likes the coach, her teammates etc. I think one of the most important criteria is if you and your daughter feel comfortable and like the gym. There are a lot of questions you could ask, but I'd start out with asking them questions about what you think is important to you. Check practice hours if they work with your schedule, how they conduct practice, move ups, tuition, etc., If you think your daughter will stick it out for the long haul, I'd get information on their upper levels' success.

4. I would check gyms sooner than later. At the level your daughter is in, skills are probably not as important as ability. Good gyms will be able to see a child's natural ability. You'll see many parents wonder why a child who seems to not have all the skill requirements for their current level still get moved up. That is because the coaches see something parents don't see.

5. I'm not in a preteam group, but I am certain someone will direct you.

I remember when my daughter started gymnastics, it was so exciting. Good luck to you and your daughter in finding a suitable gym and to her success in this sport.

1. What skills would she need to compete Xcel Bronze? Can she compete Xcel Bronze and then move to JO 4 when she's ready?
Every gym is different in their requirements. Some gyms want their gymnasts to be competing MAXIMUM routines while others will allow gymnasts to compete as long as they meet the MINIMUM requirements.
Examples of MINIMUM Routines:
Bronze Bars: Pullover, Cast (hips just have to leave the bar), Back Hip Circle, Cast push away Dismount.
Bronze Beam: Mount, 1/2 turn on one or 2 feet, straight jump, lever (hands down on beam, one foot comes up like a Handstand), straight jump dismount.
Bronze Floor: 1/2 turn on one foot, Round off- rebound-back roll, Cartwheel, leap-step-jump, and cutesy fill-in stuff.
Bronze Vault: Straight jump onto a 16" mat, then kick up to handstand and fall to flatback.

2. How soon should I tell the gym we're at that we're moving? I don't want her to get shunted aside and lose the skills she just picked up.
I would let them know sooner rather than later, but make it clear that you aren't sure when, exactly, it will be.
3. What do I need to ask the gyms in our new town to make sure it's a good fit for my daughter and what she wants to do?
Ask about their Xcel program. Some gyms will not allow a gymnast to transition into JO from Xcel (which I think is a BIG mistake). Tactfully ask if Xcel is treated like a red-headed stepchild or if they RESPECT Xcel like they do JO.
Ask about practice hours at the various levels. Ask about costs and if they have a booster club. Ask about how many meets they compete in each season. Do they host meets too? How far do they typically travel for meets? Do they have a team website? If so, is the Xcel team on the website too? Ask about practice viewing rules.
4. Should I talk to gyms in the new town now or should I wait for her to get a few more skills and polish from the advanced class/ Super Girls/ tumbling classes first? How much "warning" should I give the new gyms that I want to transfer her into their program?
I would talk to the gyms in the area starting now... explain that you will be moving to the area and you are looking for a new gym. Ask your questions. You should be able to narrow down your search based on your questions. After that, you need to call the ones that make the cut back and ask if you can bring your daughter in for an evaluation. See where they would place your daughter. (Try to schedule 2-3 evaluations the same day.) Just make sure to allot enough time for the eval, a conversation, and the drive to the next gym. I don't know how many gyms you have to choose from, but if it is only a few, it COULD work... depending on the gyms' schedules too. If you agree with a gym's eval, the next step is to have a trial practice there. If you like what they have to say at more than one gym, then have her try them all. See which one she likes best. After the eval and after the practices (both times), follow up with each gym. Thank them for their time (wouldn't want to burn any bridges). When you decide on a gym, let the other gyms know that RIGHT NOW, you are not going to be able to use their services - thank them - and wish them luck. Let the gym you choose know as soon as you do that your daughter LOVED it there and you would like her to start in the track they suggested in the eval... and when you will be moving there.
5. I also want to join a social group here on Chalkbucket, but where do I fit? Pre-team?
Pre-team sounds right (for now) ;)

Thanks a ton!
ErinEclectic[/QUOTE]

Good luck.

Thanks for the answers. Sorry it took me so long to get back, trying to get everything ready for the move. I guess I was just expecting the gyms in the new town to be as disorganized and as difficult to figure out what's going on as the gym we are currently at.

We recently moved and let me say gyms are so great most will let you try for 2-4 practices for free... They usually also do an individual evaluation just your child and the coach... But my best advice, even if you love love love the first gym, check out the others, sometimes it's just to prove that the first gym was the one, but sometimes there is a coach connection that if you find it you will see it in your child's eyes..

Good luck...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back