Parents Advice - Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My youngest dd did 1 hour (instead of her usual 2 1/2 hours), she came out as usual at the end of conditioning and warm ups and said she had a head ache, I gave her some medicine and said she could sit out with me and I would tell the coach that she has a head ache and we would see how she would go before going back in. I gave dd a hug and asked if everything was ok, she that she was pushed down in her box splits and she cried a little and she said tha beam was too hard, while I was hugging her I noticed she had a temperature even though she said she felt cold so I told the coach dd wasnt coming back in.

I asked dd is she still liked the group she was in and she said that she did but somethings were a bit hard, I tried to explain that this group would be hard but she will find that things get easier over time and I asked her if she was still enjoying gym and she said yes (no hesitation), I said if she felt that things were too hard that she could move back to rec and she said she didn't want to go back to rec. As far as I now dd hasn't refused to do anything and the coaches are happy with her otherwise they would have said something.

Is it worth talking to the coaches about how dd feels or is this something that all girls go through when in a new group, or is this something not to talk to them about until dd refuses to do something on the beam or anything else in class?

how old is she, 8 ? And probably coming down with something ? I would just chalk it up to what hubbie calls the "Can't Want To's - (Can't do it, don't want to !)

By next lesson she will be right as rain and rearing to go !

If she really had a headache and temperature I would wait until she is better and then see what happens. What I mean is, if she was physically unwell, that would explain it and wouldn't be an ongoing problem.

I agree with the others. When my children aren't feeling well - especially my DD - they're just more "dramatic" about everything. I would wait till she feels better and talk about it.

Thanks for the advice, dd just turned 7 recently, I was proud of her for even getting through conditioning when she was feeling unwell, she didn't tell anyone, not even her coach that she felt ill, she must really love gym to go through conditioning feeling like that.

I wouldn't sweat it. Get her well and give her time to adjust to the new group…then see how it goes from there.

What others said feels right to me, too. I wouldn't worry. I know my DD, though known as 'mature' for 7 in many ways, and isn't a complainer or crier generally, will sometimes start to dramatize every little thing when something triggered her to get upset. So there will be that out of the blue moment that was a trigger - starting to feel sick, or got scared, or a little hurt, or feelings hurt - and then a whole bunch of other things that she never complained about before start gushing out like the world is falling down! lol. I'd describe it as "having a moment' and it's a cascade effect with her. As soon as she calms herself down and feels better, the world is right again. So that's another data point for 'normal' 7 year old girl :)

I would chalk it up to not feeling well. Nothing feels right when you don't feel right.

My dd never looks or acts quite the same at gym on nights when she's really exhausted or not feeling up that well. Sometimes just spacey, other times she is frustrated or not trying very hard. Some rest and relaxation, and she's back to her old self again. I wouldn't worry.

Ah, bless her. Gym must be so tough when you're feeling off colour. And they've just gone back to school so tiredness is always an issue for us for a couple of weeks too.

It does sound as though she was just finding the going a bit tough because she was under the weather and that she wasn't able to separate out things feeling 'difficult' as against things being hard to do when you're not well. Also if coming out and being unwell gets lots of lovely mummy hugs, then surely letting mummy know how painful the splits were and how difficult the beam was will result in even more lovely mummy hugs...

I agree with everything the others have said. Get her well and get the first couple of weeks of term over with and see how she's feeling then, but try not to worry - they are allowed off days even when they're not poorly.

What others said feels right to me, too. I wouldn't worry. I know my DD, though known as 'mature' for 7 in many ways, and isn't a complainer or crier generally, will sometimes start to dramatize every little thing when something triggered her to get upset. So there will be that out of the blue moment that was a trigger - starting to feel sick, or got scared, or a little hurt, or feelings hurt - and then a whole bunch of other things that she never complained about before start gushing out like the world is falling down! lol. I'd describe it as "having a moment' and it's a cascade effect with her. As soon as she calms herself down and feels better, the world is right again. So that's another data point for 'normal' 7 year old girl :)

You have just described my 7-year-old precisely!

Thanks for your support

Dd is very grown up in some ways, more like 7 going on 17 lol and in some ways is still immature. I think dd showed great strenth of character and love of gym by even getting through conditioning feeling ill and tired as conditioning is not most gymnasts favourite things but she knows it is necessary.

Dd is off school today as she still has her temperature and is on the sofa watching Disney Movies,she normally has so much energy its horrible seeing her like this, she is due to go back dancing tomorrow but will see how she is.

She's sick--of course she's going to whine a little bit about gymnastics. I wouldn't say anything to the coaches--unless she continues complaining once she's feeling better. Hope she feeling better soon!

Thanks dd is much better now, she ate all her tea and has even been doing a couple of cat leaps on the floor, when she is her normal self she is always leaping or doing cartwheels or dancing. I haven't spoke to dd about what she said at gymnastics and she said she still likes doing gymnastics ( and she said then when she said like it means loves) so we will see what happens next week all being well.

Going back to the beam issue a couple of coaches told me when she was in rec that she was ggod on the beam and she moves gracefully on it, one of those coaches is now her development coach, if only dd would fall in love with the beam ( her favourite is bars) than all will be well lol. I wish dd had more confidence on the beam but I guess that will come with time.

Thanks dd is much better now, she ate all her tea and has even been doing a couple of cat leaps on the floor, when she is her normal self she is always leaping or doing cartwheels or dancing.

I check back to see if my ideas could help. Maybe not this time, but maybe you could go to the gymnastics store and browse the mom section for a worry buffer. You can purchase them with a variety of sensitivity settings including "give it another day" and "she just needs a few more practices."

lol if only it was that easy then I'm sure a lot of moms would shop there.

On a serious not Im not sure why I worry over my youngest dd's gymnastics as I never worry about my oldest dd's gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back