Parents Advice - North Texas (DFW)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TexChuck

Proud Parent
Hi all !

I've been a very appreciative consumer of information on this site for a long time. I'm looking for gym advice.

My 9yo daughter is entering her second compulsory season at one of the 'big' gyms in the area, and while she loves the girls/coaches, the jump to 15+ hrs/week is just too much. I don't think we're on the elite track.

She's doing fine skill wise, she's just starting to burn out, and on daily practices it seems to happen around hour 3.

They have a rec/TAAF team program, but she doesn't want to do that -- wouldn't feel comfortable around her previous teammates. I get that.

I certainly don't want her burning out, and want her to have FUN @ gym (otherwise what's the point?), so we're looking to make a move.

(And yes I know we're about to enter USAG competition season so our timing couldn't be more awkward, but 2 months in to the extended hours she's hurting)

Thanks in advance -

Chuck

I forgot to ask my question.... Any suggestions for less hardcore gyms in the north dallas/north texas area that don't require 15+ hours for compulsory USAG? Thank you !!!!

Hi all !

I've been a very appreciative consumer of information on this site for a long time. I'm looking for gym advice.

My 9yo daughter is entering her second compulsory season at one of the 'big' gyms in the area, and while she loves the girls/coaches, the jump to 15+ hrs/week is just too much. I don't think we're on the elite track.

She's doing fine skill wise, she's just starting to burn out, and on daily practices it seems to happen around hour 3.

They have a rec/TAAF team program, but she doesn't want to do that -- wouldn't feel comfortable around her previous teammates. I get that.

I certainly don't want her burning out, and want her to have FUN @ gym (otherwise what's the point?), so we're looking to make a move.

(And yes I know we're about to enter USAG competition season so our timing couldn't be more awkward, but 2 months in to the extended hours she's hurting)

Thanks in advance -

Chuck
I have no gym advice for you but more curious whether you have noticed whether you are seeing your daughter finding any improvement or adjustment in acclimating to the extra hours? I say that because your daughter is not alone in having difficulty in transitioning to higher hours and each girl is different in how quickly they do (or don't) acclimate. If you are seeing signs of improvement, albeit it small, perhaps you may want to wait it out and see if your daughter can work through it. I realize you run the risk of being "trapped" in your gym, but being this close to competition season the idea of switching gyms may end up having unintended negative consequences of their own.

I have a friend whose daughter is very happy at Southlake. She chose that program after relocating to the DFW area and evaluating several gyms. Her dd wanted something less intense than the "all-in" type programs. PM me for more details.

I have no gym advice for you but more curious whether you have noticed whether you are seeing your daughter finding any improvement or adjustment in acclimating to the extra hours? I say that because your daughter is not alone in having difficulty in transitioning to higher hours and each girl is different in how quickly they do (or don't) acclimate. If you are seeing signs of improvement, albeit it small, perhaps you may want to wait it out and see if your daughter can work through it. I realize you run the risk of being "trapped" in your gym, but being this close to competition season the idea of switching gyms may end up having unintended negative consequences of their own.

She's picking up the skills more quickly, and physically she seems to be handling it fine (conditioning was never a problem), but she's losing the interest mentally. Completely understand the unintended consequences and recognize this would have been a much better realization to come to at the beginning of summer...

I second the Southlake Gymnastics idea. I'm not sure where in the Metroplex you are, but you may also want to try ASI, US Gold, Gym Plus. I'm sure there are other options depending on your location.

I've heard good things about Richardson gymnastics as well. Good program not as intense. We are in DFW West of the metroplex but compete all over

Before you leave a gym you're otherwise happy with, I wonder if you've tried to chat with your DD's coaches? If not, it may be worth a talk with coaches to see if there's anything they can do for your DD. May not be possible, but perhaps there's some middle ground?

Edit (his post too quickly!) If you've already tried and no luck, then I hope you find a great middle of the road place for her. :)

Not sure what level she is, but have you also looked into Xcel programs? It is also within USAG, and is lower hours than JO, while still offering a competitive experience and opportunity to train up to fairly high levels with opportunities for mobility into JO optionals later on (gym dependent). It is designed for athletes who want to grow in their gymnastics, be competitive, but also balance other sports/hobbies/time.

Hope you find just the right fit for your daughter.

Thanks so much for the good advice all. I've read a bit about Xcel and appreciate you bringing that back up; I'll see if that's a possibility. It's interesting that the jump from 12 to 15 hours has made such a difference for her, but I get it -- I'm not sure I could have handled 15 hours of gymnastics at 9 myself :)

Her coaches are great, the gym is great, and I'm going to be talking to them this evening / over the weekend.

I'm not from the area, in Texas, but not DFW, but I have a friend that's daughter is very happy at Olympo. You will have to google it though, lol. With TAAF, I think Xcel teams may be limited.

I would try TAAF teams in the area. They really do a great job with high level gymnastics that look like USA gymnasts from other states.

ASI teams so well. United Elite has a TAAF team that does well. Plano does well. Texas Best in McKinney does well. Kurt Thomas....

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions! A TAAF team might be just the ticket, since they don't compete until the spring...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back