WAG aerial cartwheel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, I have been able to do an aerial cartwheel on the floor for over a year now but recently decided that I would like to be able to do it on the grass - i know you guys don't appreciate gym outside the gym but I know my limits and have already done several successfully on the grass. I am not, however, as high as i would like to be and my success rate is about 65% off 35% on at the moment and its mainly because i don't get enough height most of the time. Are there any tricks to getting more height in my aerial?

Simply put, get stronger.

Make legs stronger, especially when tumbling on non sprung surfaces.

While part of feels very awkward being called on to do gymnastics outside of a proper gymnastics gym, I do like the idea of having portable "show-off" skills. Recently I was working on stupid human tricks ala gymnastics in the summer but aerial was one I forgot.

Might have to practice some today.

Doing aerials in the grass is how I managed to break my talus last November, not a fun experience. Though I also am older, very much out of practice, and never had a particularly strong aerial to begin with. Regardless, proceed with caution.

regardless of age...tumbling in grass along with skills that twist= BAD IDEA.

While part of feels very awkward being called on to do gymnastics outside of a proper gymnastics gym, I do like the idea of having portable "show-off" skills. Recently I was working on stupid human tricks ala gymnastics in the summer but aerial was one I forgot.

Might have to practice some today.

This is exactly why i decided to learn it - it looks impressive and isn't too hard and not to mention I needed to one up my mum who used to desperately want to do an aerial cartwheel. At least now i have bragging rights :p

Oh i was a little inspired by dance moms :p

You're better off by improving the skill in the gym until it's to the point you could do one on a concrete floor covered in marbles......

Here's a few tips:

Start from the back foot by building as much forward energy as possible.

Kick the back leg while facing forward. It will give you a stronger kick that creates more rotation and make the turn happen without having to wast time and energy on it.

Stay high and finish that way. No matter how strong you think your front leg is, there's little chance of pushing yourself back up from a deep lunge. It's better to use a slight lunge and to establish a higher starting point for the skill.

I don't aerial often, but when I do I prefer technique....stay flexible my friend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back