WAG Age for Level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for all your responses. It seems like right after earl February states dds team will have about two weeks to learn the level 5 routine and have a meet to see who will score out. I'm glad to read that this is a feasible plan. Is

Te team is so young.....6-8 years old so not sure what the rush is all about. Unfortunately it seems like this is the trend.

I still feel like the lvl 4 bar routine looks much more difficult then 5, am I wrong on this observation?

Wow, that is really young and quick. I think you said on another thread that your gym doesn't compete level 3 and that your dd and her whole team just had their first level 4 meet a couple of weeks ago? And they plan on trying to score out of level 5 and go to 6 next month? They must do an amazing amount of uptraining to be able to do that! I wonder what the hurry is to get to optionals though? Is your gym focused on producing elite gymnasts? I'm honestly just curious as that is so much different and faster than where I live.

Wow, that is really young and quick. I think you said on another thread that your gym doesn't compete level 3 and that your dd and her whole team just had their first level 4 meet a couple of weeks ago? And they plan on trying to score out of level 5 and go to 6 next month? They must do an amazing amount of uptraining to be able to do that! I wonder what the hurry is to get to optionals though? Is your gym focused on producing elite gymnasts? I'm honestly just curious as that is so much different and faster than where I live.

The girls are uptraining, dd already works on tucks on the floor and back walk overs on beam. The girls will have their third level 4 meet this weekend. And correct, they did not compete level 3.

As far as dd so far she loves it, she's having fun and enjoys everything about gym. As far as us, we agree it is a lot of time for one sport. Especially since we realized at an early age she was athletic and intense, we were hoping for a multi-sport girl.

I have heard hc likes optionals however I am not sure why.

The girls are uptraining, dd already works on tucks on the floor and back walk overs on beam. The girls will have their third level 4 meet this weekend. And correct, they did not compete level 3.

As far as dd so far she loves it, she's having fun and enjoys everything about gym. As far as us, we agree it is a lot of time for one sport. Especially since we realized at an early age she was athletic and intense, we were hoping for a multi-sport girl.

I have heard hc likes optionals however I am not sure why.

Thanks for replying. Like I said I was just curious how it worked since it's very different here. My dd is around the same age as yours I think (she just turned 8 3 days ago). She just competed level 3 and will do level 4 in the fall. Her gym also competes level 5 for most girls. They don't do a ton of uptraining in compulsories so they really focus on getting very solid on basics and conditioning. They do train fairly high hours (12 as a level 3, 15 as a level 4). But dd's gym is focused on producing college bound level 10's with scholarships and does not participate in any elite training. I was just wondering if your gym has a different focus that accounts for the accelerated timelines? Regardless, it sounds like your dd and her group are very talented to be where they are so young! Congratulations to her!

Mom2newgymnasts.....Happy Birthday to your little gymmie. Mine turned 8 this month too:)

DD gym does focus on college scholarships but has never had an elite gymnast.

As far as training DD goes to the gym 17 hours a week. I'm not sure how talented the group is compared to other level 4 teams, they are definitely hard working girls. They have placed 2nd and 3rd in the last two meets. I noticed many of the other girls on different teams seem older.

We are region 6, what region are you?

Wonder why there are such differences between regions.
The differences are actually gym to gym. Each gym has its own philosophy. Some coaches can't stand compulsory music, so they want the kids out of compulsories ASAP.
Sometimes it is that the state has a compulsory season and an optional season… If you can get a gymnast through L5 during the compulsory season, they can compete L6 during the optional season.
Other states have 2 compulsory seasons and an optional season (that is the same as the second compulsory season).
In those states, L4 in the fall, L5 score out or half a season after Fall State and then onto L6 for Spring State.

Every gym has a reason for doing it the way they do.

We have rarely moved girls up mid-season (this is the first season the girls actually wanted to move up). We had a girl that scored well in L3 and was training for L4 and a couple of girls that scored well in L4 that were training for L5. Then HC was told that the deadline for paying for Y Nationals had moved up and she could not guarantee that they would qualify at their new levels, so they decided to compete at the lower level to assure qualifying - Then they would be allowed to move up. The L3/4 moved up in December and qualified immediately. The 2 L4/5s wanted a little more time to train, so they were to move up for our meet last weekend. One was sick and the other is injured. The sick one is better and will be competing L5 tomorrow. The other one has decided to finish the season at L4 when she comes back… Of course, next year, she is hoping to score out of L5 by December and go to L6 in January.
We also have 3 girls that competed on the Jr High team and were L5. They were told they had to score out 2x to move to L6. One of those girls is competing L6 tomorrow and the other 2 (one missed some meets) are hoping to move up in February.

Raenndrop.....Thank you, it makes sense that decisions vary from gym to gym. I guess HC doesn't like the compulsory music. ;)

Does a gymnast only need to have one meet to score out of level 5?

Raenndrop.....Thank you, it makes sense that decisions vary from gym to gym. I guess the hc doesn't like the compulsory music. ;)

Does a gymnast only need to have one meet to score out of level 5?
USAG requires only one score out meet with a score of 31 or better. Anything above and beyond that is up to the gym. Our "Zone" (think like state, but a little bigger almost a regional thing) requires gymnasts to make the score 2x ... and the individual YMCA can make the requirements higher. With L3 and L4, we required a higher score than we do for L5.

Definitely varies gym to gym. I'm fairly certain I know what gym MomIdidit! is speaking of, and if i'm correct, they have one of the best optional programs in their state and have several athletes on track to be elite athletes in the future (attending developmental camps and such). However, that gym's philosophy is far from the norm in the region!

Thank you chalkbowl and yes there are a number of athletes on track to be elite. DD does have an amazing HC and all of the coaches that coach DD are superb. They definitely know what they are doing but I truly appreciate the clarification on chalk bucket since there is just so much to learn about in gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back