Age limit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter's gym hosted a prep-op state meet over the weekend. Everything went smoothly the meet turned out really well. I was amazed at how great the floor routines were. The one thing that I found shocking was there was a 40ty something women competing in the novice prep op. Anyway she got injured during the bar warmup and was able unable to finish the meet.(this was the only injury I saw all weekend). Apparently the judges were saying what a contraversy this has been causing. Although I think it is great on one hand that she wants to do gymnastics but on the other hand does she really need to compete with young girls. I know the alot of the girls were making fun of her along with the shocked parents. I kind of felt sorry that at her age she would feel compelled to compete obviously at the level she was doing she has not been in the sport long. Couldn't she just take a class? I was very surprised when the judges told me that there is no offical age limit since I thought there was apparently all the other gyms in the area train only till 18yo because of insurance but this one gym has adults. I personally think the risk of injury is much to great even if you are in great shape which she did not appear to be I missed her vault but was told it was scary. I think there should be a rule againest this would it seem silly to see a grown man in the baseball game or soccor game where the majority of kids are 10-14!

I agree with most of these responses but wanted to add...

I approached her after one of her meets to congratulate her. I would NEVER have the guts to do what she does and I wanted to tell her so. At that time, she told me that she had only been doing gymnastics for 4 years~ and that she has 5 children!!! She took up the sport as an adult and I find it not only impressive but inspiring to all of the girls in her age group (16+). Maybe those girls will now know that it is okay to continue the sport even though many consider them to be too "old" for their level.

I have seen her compete at several meets (usually there is another lady that competes from this same gym as well.) As far as her fitness level, it is tough as a mature adult (with 5 children!) to appear as fit as a 16 year old when you are side by side in leos. As far as competing that day, she earned her spot at states by qualifying at sectionals for her level. Good for her!

It is nice to here how everybody is so supportive of her. I did not get that feeling at all during the meet including the from the judges. I was aware that she did have to qualify via sectionals. Again sorry if I offended anybody I agree she has a lot courage to get out there and I am sorry she was not able to compete in the rest of the meet.

Man...think of the great shape I would be in if I could devote 24+ hours to a sport that I was passionate about! Imagine getting exercise and staying fit and loving how you do it.

I would think that the attitudes of the judges and other parents have a little bit to do with the time factor. I would think that very few adults with jobs, family, and other adult responsiblities have the time to do the sport justice. We joke all the time that gymnastics is like a job for my dd...She spends more time doing it than most 16 year olds do at their part time jobs!

My DD's coach is in her 20's and returned to competition this year as a L9. Not sure when she quit or why, but I have to say she has become an inspiration to the team girls. My DD showed my her floor routine once on FB and I was blown away, she is obviously very passionate about her sport. Not sure when it turned into a young girls sport only, Nadia's Olympics maybe? I have to agree with others, it takes alot of cahoonies to go out there, especially in a leo (I have a hard enough time swimsuit shopping after 3 kids, wish they would invent industrial strength spandex!), against chuckling children and snickering adults..good for her!

I also think this woman should have been cheered on by ALL in attendance! She is a wonderful role model for OUR children in this sport!!! Think of how much your DD loves this sport. Wouldn't it be wonderful if she felt like she had the chance to continue in it later in life if she wanted too??? This woman showed something to every girl at that meet...that they CAN continue later in life if the want too:)! Knowing how much my DD loves this sport & how much joy & personal satisfaction it brings her, if she wants to do it later in life, I want her to KNOW it is an option for her. More power too this lady!!! I wish I could have been there to cheer her on!!! I hope her injury was minor & that she can continue her training...you go girl friend:D!!!

I must say that I'm reading this and biting my tongue! I'm an adult gymnast & am completely shocked at this negative mind-set. I was a competitive gymnast as a child, and although a bit more challenging as an adult, I don't feel the risk is any greater. I was also a soccer player into college and still play the sport. As an adult, I have absolutely NO problem finding indoor & outdoor soccer teams to join, but it was a year long process finding a gymnastics coach to work with me. My goal is to compete this summer for the 1st time in about 14 years, & I know it would be so discouraging to know that other people were sitting there making fun of me after I've worked so hard to accomplish that goal. It's truly sad that people view the sport as a sport JUST for kids.

I must say that I'm reading this and biting my tongue! I'm an adult gymnast & am completely shocked at this negative mind-set. I was a competitive gymnast as a child, and although a bit more challenging as an adult, I don't feel the risk is any greater. I was also a soccer player into college and still play the sport. As an adult, I have absolutely NO problem finding indoor & outdoor soccer teams to join, but it was a year long process finding a gymnastics coach to work with me. My goal is to compete this summer for the 1st time in about 14 years, & I know it would be so discouraging to know that other people were sitting there making fun of me after I've worked so hard to accomplish that goal. It's truly sad that people view the sport as a sport JUST for kids.
Please notice that the majority(if not all) of the replies to this thread are in SUPPORT of the adult gymnast:)! I think adult gymnast are WONDERFUL role models:)! Good luck with your training & please keep us updated when you get to compete:D!!! Good luck!!!:D

I'm sorry. I must clarify what I meant in my response post. I was trying to say that I'm shocked at the negative mind-set of the people at that particular meet...not at what other responses where on here. Thanks for the good luck wishes too. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back