Age limit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter's gym hosted a prep-op state meet over the weekend. Everything went smoothly the meet turned out really well. I was amazed at how great the floor routines were. The one thing that I found shocking was there was a 40ty something women competing in the novice prep op. Anyway she got injured during the bar warmup and was able unable to finish the meet.(this was the only injury I saw all weekend). Apparently the judges were saying what a contraversy this has been causing. Although I think it is great on one hand that she wants to do gymnastics but on the other hand does she really need to compete with young girls. I know the alot of the girls were making fun of her along with the shocked parents. I kind of felt sorry that at her age she would feel compelled to compete obviously at the level she was doing she has not been in the sport long. Couldn't she just take a class? I was very surprised when the judges told me that there is no offical age limit since I thought there was apparently all the other gyms in the area train only till 18yo because of insurance but this one gym has adults. I personally think the risk of injury is much to great even if you are in great shape which she did not appear to be I missed her vault but was told it was scary. I think there should be a rule againest this would it seem silly to see a grown man in the baseball game or soccor game where the majority of kids are 10-14!

I don't understand where this (and similar) points of view come from. I've tried. I don't grok.

If someone wants to compete and has the skills, good for them. I'd be pretty embarrassed if the kids I coach were making fun of another competitor. That's just not acceptable or the lesson I want to teach.

Also, faulty comparison is faulty: it's reasonable to expect a grown man to be better at baseball than prepubescent boys. All the arguments about adult women doing gymnastics are because we are 'too old' to be any good, that we have a lower strength to weight ratio than kids, aren't as flexible, et cetera. Those are disadvantages.

It's not hurting anyone to let adults compete. What's wrong with it?

I am a 40-something woman who took up gym less than 2 years ago, and I would love to be able to compete in a novice comp, although perhaps not if everyone was laughing at me. When you say 'why does she feel compelled to compete, why not just take a class' - for the same reasons that the kids compete and don't just take a class. It gives people something to work towards and a sense of pride and achievement, whether they are kids or adults. I can understand it might look a bit weird having just one adult competing against a bunch of kids, but if there aren't enough adults to make their own category, I guess she has no other choice.

There are no club competitions here for my age group but once a year there is a big sports meet for adults called 'Masters Games', including many different sports. I competed at that last year and this year and there were only a handful of us in the 40s age group at the gymnastics comp. I think it would be great if there were more like her, then perhaps they could compete in their own adults competition, but I guess there are not many brave enough. I think it takes courage to be an adult gymnast, especially if you are a novice, not an ex-competitive gymnast.

As for the risk of injury, at the moment my 8 year old who trains 3 times a week has an ankle injury, and I'm training twice a week and currently don't have an injury. It is true I do have to be more careful about the way I train because certain moves can aggravate certain parts of the body.

I think it is weird the way gymnastics is seen only as a young person's sport, when so many other sports are seen as okay to take up as an adult. Some people say it is because it is 'hard on the body', but adults take up other sports such as martial arts, which can also be quite hard on the body. I think it is kind of self-perpetuating - adults are not encouraged to take up gymnastics and there are not opportunities for them to compete so no adults take it up so there are only ever children competing so it is seen as a children's sport...

I know the alot of the girls were making fun of her along with the shocked parents.

How disgraceful. I hope your gym was embarrassed and disgusted by this behaviour. Would they also laugh at a fat girl doing gym, a disabled girl, a learning disabled girl? I hope the girls were punished and the parents reminded by the coaches how unacceptable that is.

I kind of felt sorry that at her age she would feel compelled to compete obviously at the level she was doing she has not been in the sport long. Couldn't she just take a class?

Maybe she always longed to do gymnastics as a child and compete and didn't get the chance? Who cares why. Good for her! Competing is fun. I hope she continues. I am sure she would prefer to compete with other grown ups but until that is available in her area she is stuck with your petty minded meet.

I was very surprised when the judges told me that there is no offical age limit since I thought there was apparently all the other gyms in the area train only till 18yo because of insurance but this one gym has adults. I personally think the risk of injury is much to great even if you are in great shape which she did not appear to be I missed her vault but was told it was scary. I think there should be a rule againest this would it seem silly to see a grown man in the baseball game or soccor game where the majority of kids are 10-14!

Get over it. Adults compete in lots of sports. Lifelong fitness is a great thing. She is a pioneer. I wish I was brave enough to put on a leotard and do a few cartwheels!!

I am sorry but your post really offended me. Alot of adult gymnasts post on this and other forums and I would hate your words to get back to her. Everyone should have cheered her on and your club should have publically recognised her efforts at the end of the meet in someway. We want more of this not less.

Oh boy a few harsh words in the comments but I agree with the concepts by the other post.

Although not common in any meet i've seen. I really don't have an issue with it. You have to have minimal skills to compete and her gym though she could do it. As far as competing against other kids well since there area age groups in the awards area I think the only ones she would be "Competing" against are those in her age group. My DD is a L8 not a prep op so I don't know how the age is divided in prepop but at L8 my 13yo is at a meet usually with girls from 6yo - 18yo but only really competes against other 13 and 14 year olds as that is her age division. Not exactly the same as competing with a youth soccer team or baseball team - since there are Adult teams that adults can compete on. Don't know what your PrepOp program is like where you are but I've seen a few in my area and a good majority of the gymnasts are scary when they do their "skills" - lots of bad form, scary tumbling, etc.

What other option does she have for her skill level if she wants to compete but to be at the meets where the majority of the gymnasts at her level are young? I agree with everyone else - good for her and If I could lift my leg over my waist wasn't afraid of hights, and could even do a forward roll across the floor I might give it a try too and I am over the 40 mark. I know If I wanted to compete at something I wouldn't be happy just practicing at the gym as an alternative in a rec class.

Why should there be an age limit on gymnastics competition?

The sport is called "women's artistic gymnastics", not girls artistic gymnastics yet people get the idea that the sport if for kids. Gymnastics is a sport for everyone and it should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. And everyone should have the chance to compete if thats what they want to do.

If she competes she does need to compete with the young girls because adult meets are rare or non existent. Unless they are going to offer enough meets for adults to get a proper chance at competition then they need to allow them to compete with the kids. There should not be an age limit because gymnastics ability has nothing to do with age. A lot is when she started. If she started a year or two ago then its fair for her to compete against others who started a year or two ago.

The issue of safety has nothing to do with her age, it is a separate issue. It is not fair to say, adults shouldn't compete because they might get hurt, when in reality they are no more likely to get hurt than kids unless they are out of shape, and a kid can just as often be out of shape. The issue would be the way she was doing the skills were dangerous. A judge should have the right (in australia they do) to tell an athlete not to compete a certain skill if they feel it is dangerous. This should be based on the person and what they do and have nothing to do with age.

I also don't understand why it is sad that she would want to compete. Why should the kids compete? Why can't they be satisfied with just taking classes? The same applies for adults. Competing gives them the chance to work towards a goal which improves their gymnastics. It gives them a chance to have themselves evaluated against a set of standards to see how they are progressing and then try and beat their own personal best. So they can develop to be the best gymnast they can possibly be. Why is it OK for a kid to be able to reach their full potential, but an adult should be satisfied with less than that.

Gymnastics is very different to a baseball or soccer game. In those sports they are on the field as a team, chasing each other and so on. But in gymnastics everyone competes individually so there is no unfair advantage.

Also good on the lady for not caring what anyone thinks of her. Maybe people where criticizing or laughing (which demonstrates a very poor attitude), but why should this woman care. She is a gymnast, and she is doing what she wants to do. More power to her.

Hey if I was in shape I'd do it- it looks like fun. I am sorry she was made fun of and called scary- whooo hoo to her, I wish I could have seen it I would have cheered her on!

well...i'm old and now do most of my gymnastics in my dreams. it's nice to wake up and nothing hurts.:)

This is a very common practice at the diving meets that my dd participates in. Most of the invitationals that she goes to (for diving) have adults participating. The kids and adults think that it is great! Everyone watches, applauds their skill and their bravery for getting up there and going for it! Most of the kids are competing higher level dives, but who cares?

The nice thing about it is that the kids can see a variety of people can get enjoyment out of the same activity that they do. It shows that there is longevity in the sport at a recreational level. It shows that you are never too old to try something new and take a risk. Even if you aren't the best, participation is the reward!!

If that lady is brave enough to put on a leo and show off her skills all power to her. My then 6 year old once competed against 18 year olds and she did just fine and I had no issues as the skills level was spot on.

Gymnastics is a sport, sports are for life.

I did not mean to sound offensive or insulting. I actually was feeling a lot like most of you before the competition started. I even said to a couple people that if she can do it good for her. But when I was sitting there and she got injured do a simple bar warmup it was downright scary. My daughter knows better to say anything negative about another gymnast the girls and parents were discussing it amongest themselves and they were not only gymnasts from my daughters gym. Believe me if they were making fun of her or another gymnasts and their coaches were aware they would be reprimanded. It is sad that there are no adult competitions.

The US is an ageist society. Adults of all ages, shapes, and sizes all over the world participate in athletics for fun and for exercise.

This mentality drives a lot of adolescents and teens out of this sport too. When you see athletes that are older than the norm for their level whether children or adults you should thank their coaches for giving them a chance to do what they love. Kudos to the clubs and coaches that serve these athletes.

I bet this lady was not embarrassed in the least. Why should she be? If she were in the stands rooting on the team we would say she is living vicariously through the kids! She is participating in her life, what a nice thing for children to learn.

I personally would love to see this sport become more adult friendly, it was great watching the latest elite meet and seeing some ladies in their mid 20s. I am working towards prep op intermediate, and was with prep op novice with a bunch of kids who were young enough to be my children, and not once did I feel like an "old lady" (except for when they mentioned how young they were lol!). Granted, I'm not even 30 yet, but when I have the skills fully in hand, see no reason why I should not be allowed to compete either, and honestly, probably get my butt whopped by a 13 yr old! Anyone can get injured doing a simple bar warm up, all you have to do is miss your hand and forward and off you go. Good for her for competing, and I hope what happened at that meet doesn't deter her from trying again

I went to watch YMCA nationals a few years ago and there was a woman in her late 20s or somewhere around there competing as a level 10. She had been a gymnast growing up, could do the skills, and wanted to continue even after getting married, having a child, and moving into her adult life. Some of the parents were upset that she was still allowed to compete with much younger kids, saying if there was no "Masters" division, she didn't need to compete. It was absolutely ridiculous. She only competed, so far as awards, with the older teen group- all who were at a comparable level. She did very well, but she also earned it. And shared a good lesson for the younger girls that gymnastics could continue throughout life along the way.
Good for this woman to get up, active, and compete- I don't think I would have the guts to do that anymore. She knows the risks associated with the sport and her coaches feel she is at an acceptable level, so I don't see a problem. I sincerely hope the adults and children making fun of this woman were reprimanded for their behavior.

The US is an ageist society. Adults of all ages, shapes, and sizes all over the world participate in athletics for fun and for exercise.

This mentality drives a lot of adolescents and teens out of this sport too. When you see athletes that are older than the norm for their level whether children or adults you should thank their coaches for giving them a chance to do what they love. Kudos to the clubs and coaches that serve these athletes.

I bet this lady was not embarrassed in the least. Why should she be? If she were in the stands rooting on the team we would say she is living vicariously through the kids! She is participating in her life, what a nice thing for children to learn

I couldn't have said it better!!!

I secretly wish there were an adult class at my DD's gym. I would totally sign up! I don't know if I have the nerve to get out in front of alot of people and compete but I would love to take a gymnastics class again! I have to say I am kindof jealous of this adult gymnast! She is doing what I bet alot of us moms WISH we could do! Get out there and not worry about what other people say!! Kudos to her! Hopefully she can pave the way for other adults!!

I say more power to her and I wish there were more outlets for adult gymnasts. It's unfortunate that an adult who want to compete has to make do with what is available. Most gyms don't even offer classes for adults so that leaves them without a safe place to practice a sport they love.

Since this was a state meet, she had to have a high enough all-around score at a previous meet in order to qualify. Normally that would be a 33 AA at sectionals but since PA didn't have a Prep Op sectionals this year, it may have been a 31 AA. While that's not a huge score, it's not a walk in the park either.

As far as the injury goes, if you tweak the body just the right way even simple skills can cause injuries no matter what your age is. It's also possible she had a previous injury that that simple bar movement made worse.

I completely agree with all of you who think that she should have been applauded for doing gymnastics as her age. What concerns me about this topic is the line from the post that says:
"I know the alot of the girls were making fun of her along with the shocked parents"
I hope somebody let them know that their behavior was rude and unacceptable. Shame on them!

I am in the US and in my area we are really blessed. A lot of gyms here compete AAU as well as USAG and AAU has a "Ladies" division, the skills you need are 5/6 ish and they also have ladies 8 which goes under the level 8 rules. Ladies if for adults as well as highschoolers who want to compete but don't have the time to commit to hours and hours of training.

This year we are starting a new program for older kids and teen beginner/intermediate that want to compete, it is going to be awesome they get their AAU number, a competition leotard and 2 meets all for $100. They will do the skills they can do, the floor music will be optional and the passes will be what they can do and the dance will basically be the same for everyone so there is no cost to make the routines. We also have a lot of trampoline and tumbling gyms around that allow adults to compete into the elite level.

I am sad this is not the norm. I feel bad for that lady, it was totally uncalled for for anyone to make fun of her and I feel joyful as well that she was getting out there and doing it. As far as injuries they happen all the time to kids and adults alike, the difference is she knows full well she could get hurt and consents to this possibility while a childs parents are the ones who consent to their kids possibly getting hurt.

I say more power to her and I wish there were more outlets for adult gymnasts. It's unfortunate that an adult who want to compete has to make do with what is available. Most gyms don't even offer classes for adults so that leaves them without a safe place to practice a sport they love.

Since this was a state meet, she had to have a high enough all-around score at a previous meet in order to qualify. Normally that would be a 33 AA at sectionals but since PA didn't have a Prep Op sectionals this year, it may have been a 31 AA. While that's not a huge score, it's not a walk in the park either.

As far as the injury goes, if you tweak the body just the right way even simple skills can cause injuries no matter what your age is. It's also possible she had a previous injury that that simple bar movement made worse.

I was too late to edit my post. It was level 6 that didn't have a sectional this year. In PA, Prep Optional Novice/Intermediate have to score a 31.00 AA to make it to Sectionals and a 33.00 AA at Sectionals to make it to States.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back