WAG Am I crazy? Would it be possible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

aileenmaryf

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
Okay. I started out 'coaching' the summer before I was in 8th grade (this summer it will be 8 years that I have been doing this). I put it in quotes because really what I started out doing was just helping out my Head Coach with a class twice a week. My sisters were in it and all the kids were about 5 years old, but it was a pre-team class for little ones who learned fast. So what I was really doing that summer was learning how to spot from a VERY GOOD spotter. Eventually I started getting paid to coach and was helping out with anything from kindergarten aged rec classes to beginner classes all the way up to team. I loved this and it is why I thought I wanted to be a teacher. However, I had always ruled out becoming a coach. Now I am a junior in college, and not really sure what I want to do with my life. For the last couple of years I have had this nagging thought in the back of my head that I should start a gym.... I think I am crazy..... I keep trying to be realistic. From what I can tell, opening a gym is expensive, time consuming, a TON of work, and not necessarily possible for practical reasons. But the more I try to get the idea out of my head, the more I want to do it.

Of course I have no idea how I would even get started on such a monstrous task. I don't really know the least about businesses or how one would go about starting one. Not to mention I am 21 and don't have a lot of money. If I wanted to do this, would I need to get a business degree? A degree in some sports related field (I am taking some classes in exercise science right now, but not making a major/minor out of it)?

I think that if I could somehow get it started, it would have the potential to be successful. The place I would want to open a gym (lets call it X) has one other gym in town, but I have heard many concerns from parents that it isn't safe or the coaches aren't very helpful. The club I work at right now(Lets call this place Y) is 20 minutes from X. The problem with Y is that its impossible to be able to coach the upper levels. I want to coach team or at least pre team but there are too many 'politics' (that could be a whole new post longer than this one!).Also, I know that one bonus would be that the high school team I coach for in the town X doesn't have a good feeder program or a place to put their equipment so it could be a good potential partnership. Anyways, what my rambling is try to get to is that I think that if I managed to get started up, I could succeed. But how do I do it?

Is there any way I can toy with even just the idea more before I go to talk to more official people about it happening? What steps should I take?

Have you ever heard of a song titled:
'Mama don't let your babies grow up to be gym owners' (something like that) ;)

'From what I can tell, opening a gym is expensive, time consuming, a TON of work, and not necessarily possible for practical reasons.'
And that's the upside of it!!! ;)

I love the attitude and desire, and know it will take you far. BUT, (you knew that was coming) you want to make sure you are properly prepared before you embark on your journey. Sounds like you are great with the rec kids and that makes for a solid foundation. The best school you can go to for gymnastics is the same one the girls go to.....The College of Hard Knocks! ;) So, I would recommend that you go to your current gym and let them know that your goals have evolved and you want to move into a more competitive coaching position. Let them know you want to learn how to coach upper level kids. Good coaches love people with your attitude and desire, and will bend over backwards to help you. If it is a 'no go', then you may be forced to talk with the other club and see if they are willing to take you under their wings and help you.
You really need to have that help and experience so you don't end up like one of those coaches we all have seen or heard about! ;) When I first started out, I was told I couldn't consider myself a coach for three years. I thought that seems like a bit of a steep learning curve. Working 6 days a week with elite coaches willing to show me anything and everything, I thought I could do better than that......I was wrong. I remember as plain as day, it was three years to the day that I finally thought to myself 'hey, I feel like a coach!' Did that mean I knew everything? No. Did it mean I still don't learn everyday? No. It just meant that I finally got 'it.' How little minds and bodies work, progressions, drills, push but don't be pushy, strict doesn't equal mean, and thousands of other important lessons. I felt like I had a pair of wings, and it was up to me as to where they would take me.
So never give up on that, or any, dream. Just make sure you are prepared for the journey. Best of luck to you. :)

Have you ever heard of a song titled:
'Mama don't let your babies grow up to be gym owners' (something like that) ;)

'From what I can tell, opening a gym is expensive, time consuming, a TON of work, and not necessarily possible for practical reasons.'
And that's the upside of it!!! ;)

I love the attitude and desire, and know it will take you far.......... BUT, (you knew that was coming) you want to make sure you are properly prepared before you embark on your journey. Sounds like you are great with the rec kids and that makes for a solid foundation. The best school you can go to for gymnastics is the same one the girls go to.....The College of Hard Knocks! ;) So, I would recommend that you go to your current gym and let them know that your goals have evolved and you want to move into a more competitive coaching position. Let them know you want to learn how to coach upper level kids. Good coaches love people with your attitude and desire, and will bend over backwards to help you. If it is a 'no go', then you may be forced to talk with the other club and see if they are willing to take you under their wings and help you.
You really need to have that help and experience so you don't end up like one of those coaches we all have seen or heard about! ;) When I first started out, I was told I couldn't consider myself a coach for three years. I thought that seems like a bit of a steep learning curve. Working 6 days a week with elite coaches willing to show me anything and everything, I thought I could do better than that......I was wrong. I remember as plain as day, it was three years to the day that I finally thought to myself 'hey, I feel like a coach!' Did that mean I knew everything? No. Did it mean I still don't learn everyday? No. It just meant that I finally got 'it.' How little minds and bodies work, progressions, drills, push but don't be pushy, strict doesn't equal mean, and thousands of other important lessons. I felt like I had a pair of wings, and it was up to me as to where they would take me.
So never give up on that, or any, dream. Just make sure you are prepared for the journey. Best of luck to you. :)

Thanks gymsanity! You just saved me about 1000 words. The only thing I'd add is once you've gotten all trained up, look around for opportunities like a partnership with a high school or an entire school district. City and county recreation departments make pretty good partners as well. If you can put together a program, with either of these partners, that grows and is appreciated by the community, you'll be able to make it happen again when you go into it privately. Maybe even with some eq

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back