Any experience with spondylolisthesis?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
B

bribri514

Just some super quick background. I went to a DI college to train on their gym team (not on a scholarship, had to get some other scholarships, but I was hoping to earn an athletic one after the first season!) Alas an old back injury acted up and before I could compete I was diagnosed with severe spondylolisthesis (between grade 3 and 4 with about 75% slippage). At the time surgery was discussed but I'm borderline on absolutely needing it (and I have some risk factors that make the surgery they were talking about a so so option apparently) so the doctors I saw and the school training department told me I wouldn't be able to do gym again.

But I'm a very hopeful person who loves loves loves gym. Starting coaching and "parenting" are great but it's nothing like actually doing gym (no offense to anyone). I miss feeling like i can fly! I've been out for about a yearish and it's driving me crazy!

I know we're not doctors here, I'm currently looking around my new area (there's a lot more doctors in DC than Utah who would have thought!) for medical advice. But does anyone have experience with gymnasts returning to advanced level skills L 10/college type gym after a severe spondylolisthesis requiring surgery? Even if I couldn't return to my old skills I'd still be happy to do some toned down stuff.

Any experiences you could share about gymnasts with spondylolisthesis (particular severe and needing surgery) would be great!

unfortunately, you will be done. time to start coaching. don't rush on the parenting thing, though.:)

Hahaha thanks dunno!! I meant by parenting being the fill in gym mom. I have loads of stuff to do (finishing college for starters!), starting to have kids at my age is not in the cards!! I have many many years to do that.

I am trying to start a Deaf club gym team at Gallaudet (the Deaf university) where I would be able to coach with no problem. I could hopefully get USAG certified also. That way I could get some coaching under my belt without worrying about the communication issue and then work my way into coaching other gymnasts with experience under my belt. It'll be hard fighting the anti-gym bias in the Deaf community and many with be first timers, but that's a great place to start. (I was helped with the L 4-6 at my old gym, good to get back to basics... though some of the people who come out with probably have another physical disability as well, it'll be hard but so worth it if it works out!)

I kind of had a feeling I couldn't go back, but I was hoping that maybe good old modern medicine and a lot of PT and effort had created a way for me to get back in the gym. The other day I was feeling bad for myself (which I never never do) and read a story about Elena Mukhina and I snapped out of it pretty quick. (That poor poor girl, so tragic, I just cried).

I'm still pretty lucky I can walk and live normal (minus the no talking thing but it's not the biggest impediment in the world). I just really really miss doing gym. Chalk on my hands for bars, doing all sorts of flips through the air and training new ones over and over. I even miss landing on my face, butt, back, knees and every other body part (including my ear once, that was a beam thing). I even miss the beam my least fav apparatus. I love coaching and being involved with gym and I want to get more legitimately involved in it I just think I'm going through the 7 stages of grief of not being able to do gym anymore.

I don't know anyone who has "seriously" come back from that, if that makes sense. I know people who have had surgery and can occasionally do some gymnastics. So some club gymnastics might be a possibility. But not a lot. I don't even think that's advisable but they seem to do all right. I know it's rough.

(BTW I tried to respond to your PM but it said your inbox was full).

^^^ the spondy procedure is a bit different. you can't do anything gymnastics after the surgery.

Bri, I would like nothing more than for you to say you were able to get back in a gym and train. You say exactly the same thing as my gymmie---the love of flying. When I've asked her what she likes most about gymnastics she says, "feeling free--just flying."

Your diagnosis is not one that lends itself to gymnastics and as you say you can walk and have a normal life---I'm afraid trying to return to gymnastics with or without the surgery wouldn't leave you a normal pain free life.

Sounds like you have some great options to pursue with coaching and I know you will be successful. I'm sure its tough to be in a gym and not be able to practice, but your love of the sport will continue, just in a different way.

I don't know anyone who has "seriously" come back from that, if that makes sense. I know people who have had surgery and can occasionally do some gymnastics. So some club gymnastics might be a possibility. But not a lot. I don't even think that's advisable but they seem to do all right. I know it's rough.

(BTW I tried to respond to your PM but it said your inbox was full).

That has a bad habit of happening, I just let them build up. I cleared out the folder so you should be able to PM now!

I was hoping to do some sort of club gymnastics at least. When I was training in college is when the back problems flared up (I had minor back issues that kept me out before). I toned down my routines. I wasn't able to compete but I kept training and doing PT with some breaks to rest it. Then sophomore year (that I just finished) at the beginning of the season is when it got really bad and the team trainers and coaches and all the doctors I saw in the area said I had to quit. It was really hard at first so I just studied really hard. I even avoided the CB (and I love you all!) I went to the meets to support the team but sometimes would go home and cry. I try not to feel sorry for myself, ever, but I wasn't sad for me, I just felt like I'd lost something, almost like a good friend had died, a part of my life.

I was just hoping someone had heard of some procedure that worked or some way to continue doing gym or there were doctors who might have another opinion. Even if it's at the club level. I mean I'd love to train DI college level again but I understand that'll never happen. Just something. I'm just incredibly hopeful that way! But I do trust you guys (and listen to my doctors, I haven't done any gym since then) I'll still probably end up having a minor version of the surgery in the next few years because of the seriousness of it. I wear a back brace from time to time but I've noticed myself needing it a bit more. They were going to do the full thing but I have some other physical problems that made them decide it wasn't the best route for not.

Thanks for everyone's answers and support! Gymnastics has been my entire life pretty much as long as I can remember so it's hard not being able to go out and flip and swing and fly around anymore. But if I can inspire some other girls to love it as much as I do I guess that's an okay compromise :)

^^^ the spondy procedure is a bit different. you can't do anything gymnastics after the surgery.

Oh okay. I thought that was what a couple people I know had, but I mean like they do conditioning, not really like training gymnastics elements (certainly not high level training like described). It could be something different though, I'm not 100% sure.

I was also diagnosed with this, I was out for about two years and decided to get back into the sport. Currently I am into my 7th month back and training level 9 which is where I left off before I had to stop gymnastics becasue of my back. I was braced and it seemed to help me out a little. Still though I have pain with my back but this is my last shot at gymnastics and all so Im just pushing through. Good luck to you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

NEW COMBO for Suni Lee? 🥇

Back