WAG Any guesses about "new 8"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Ok, maybe a dumb question, but what are "salto" skills? Dd is level 7 now does she do salto skills in her routines? Thanks!

Ok, maybe a dumb question, but what are "salto" skills? Dd is level 7 now does she do salto skills in her routines? Thanks!
Salto = tumbling, right? Like a summersault? Of course, this is coming from someone who spent an entire year calling a mill circle a middle circle, so I am not, perhaps, the best person to be answering this question...

DD came home from practice last night saying that the HC had been telling them that "new 8" was going to be closer to 9 than to "current 8". If that's the case, I don't see DD being ready to compete "new 8" for quite some time.

I thought all the changes were from Level 7 and down. I was not aware of a new Level 8!

I'm so happy for Kathy! That is incredible! We still have not heard anything about where Alex may be next season. We may anywhere from New L5 to New L7. I am incredibly frustrated that we still know nothing but at least we have gotten the dreaded L6 meet out of the way!!

Yes, a Salto is any forward or backward tuck, pike, or layout, including those with twists.

I thought all the changes were from Level 7 and down. I was not aware of a new Level 8!

I'm so happy for Kathy! That is incredible! We still have not heard anything about where Alex may be next season. We may anywhere from New L5 to New L7. I am incredibly frustrated that we still know nothing but at least we have gotten the dreaded L6 meet out of the way!!

I would imagine that until the coaches know the special requirements for new L6, L7, and L8 it would be difficult for them to say, and those aren't going to be out until May. But in the meantime they will know what skills they need to train for progressions as that doesn't change. The good thing is that with that L6 meet out of the the way your daughter has lots of options and the coaches can just put her at whatever level will fit her best.

I believe salto is like a back tuck or front tuck (I think)

That's just about right. The best way I can explain it is to say a salto is a backward or forward 360 degree revolution, and can be done in tucked, piked, and stretched (layout) positions.

It's the international standard description you use when chatting with folks outside the country.

DD came home from practice last night saying that the HC had been telling them that "new 8" was going to be closer to 9 than to "current 8". If that's the case, I don't see DD being ready to compete "new 8" for quite some time.

If I understand correctly, it's going to provide a chance for a kid to have some growing room within new8. The problem with old8 can best be seen on bars where the restrictions, and C=B, kick in shortly after the minimum requirements are met, so you get a bunch of kids doing the "old8 compulsory" bar routine of something on the low bar, hop to the high bar, kip cast handstand, giant-giant-strectched flyaway. While that routine provides an opportunity to learn how to kip, cast, and swing, it does little to ease a child in the direction of L9 and 10.

The new8 looks like it would allow individualized growth, and provide a sense of accomplishment for a child who's desire, ability, or training opportunity isn't suited to advancing past the basic staples in old8. As long as "They" don't beef up the minimums by a whole lot, it should make for a very interesting level for a wider variety of kids, and that could be a good thing unless the "franken coaches" go crazy with it.

While we are on the subject of saltos, what is the deference between these and aerials?

While we are on the subject of saltos, what is the deference between these and aerials?

Front and side aerials on floor and beam, and side somies as they're commonly performed on beam use a one foot push-off to give the height for the skill while the kicking leg, for most of us, provides rotation.

Salto skills are done from a two foot, or in the case of a front vault, a two hand push-off, and then there's bar dismounts that use swing.... hopefully from two hands :eek:. There are a few exceptions, but that's the difference in "two paragraphs or less"...... which while rare, is something I'm still capable of.

From what I've seen on USAG, Levels 7 - 10 are not changing beyond the usual tweeks, so a current 8 would go to 9 granted she has the skills... Here is a link... oh, the optional "rules" won't be officially out until end of April...

Link Removed

the new 8's will be able to do "C's". :)
Can you give specific examples of what a "C" is? What skills? I basically know what my daughter can do but don't know what letters these are! Just curious! She's currently a Level 8 and I know is training skills that she doesn't currently compete.

From what I've seen on USAG, Levels 7 - 10 are not changing beyond the usual tweeks, so a current 8 would go to 9 granted she has the skills... Here is a link... oh, the optional "rules" won't be officially out until end of April...

Link Removed

Yes, a current 8 will go to 9 granted she has the skills, but since 1 C skill will now be allowed (in addition to the C's already allowed on bars and dance on floor and beam) I think more girls will stay at 8 that may have otherwise tried to go 9. The jump from current 8 to 9 is BIG. Unless they have multiple C skills or D skills that they want to compete, it would make more sense to do new 8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back