At Home Training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

marylouretton

Hey guys! I am 15 years old and just starting gymnastics again after three long years of having scoliosis :( My back is fine now, however, the fear of trying new things in gymnastics has come back! As many of you know it is extremely difficult to master a skill when fear is holding you back so i was wondering if all of you could give me some tips to train/ practice the skills below at home so i wont have to be afraid, and know that i am strong enough to face the challenges ahead!

Beam: learning handstand (then later on handstand forward roll), straddle split, roundoff and front tuck dismount

Floor: back handsprings, backwards extension rolls, aerials (sideways for now), tips for making a smoother front and back walkover, front and back tucks, tips on making all jumps higher

Bars: front hip circles, kip

Vault: my biggest fear!! still trying to perfect the arm circle before jumping onto springboard, front handspring

Even if you cant assist with all the skills i would appreciate any advice! my school is starting a team this year so im trying to get prepared in time. Im trying to learn these skills by end of September, and am willing to train as hard as i need to accomplish this goal. thank you!!

You shouldn't be doing gymnastics at home. If you want to practice these skills go to a gym, book a private lesson, join a second class or do open gym. Most coaches don't want their gymnasts doing skills at home, so don't do them unless your coach asked you to. However most coaches encourage, or don't mind their gymnasts doing conditioning and flexibility work at home.
Some stuff you would do for flexibility and conditioning (for these skills) are:
-bridges
-shoulder stretching (with partner)
-splits
-handstand holds on wall
-boat rocks and holds
-V snaps
-gorella jumps
-leg lifts
-hand stand pushups
To make your jumps higher practice them with ankle weights.
Talk to you coach for more help.

Thanks for the suggestions! I dont have a coach, I'm just looking for tips and excersizes like you suggested.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back