WAG Atlanta Crown Weather trouble?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
We'll be headed to the Gala in Asheville. They are at least used to snow and I imagine Asheville will be fine (and they are only getting 4" at most). However, I am traveling from further east where they are not prepared and are scheduled to get more snow. Originally I was planning on driving up and back tomorrow but now I am driving late this afternoon before it really gets started and since we won't be able to get back before sundown - staying over Saturday night too. Ice down here is no joke and I don't want to hit it in the dark.
They have been pre-treating roads with brine since yesterday but since it is supposed to start as rain- I don't know how much good it will do. Rain typically washes away the brine. I wish they had salt like when I lived in Pittsburgh and Omaha but no luck. They do plan to put sand down after it is done. I am hoping it is only a few inches and not the up to 8" that has been mentioned.
Virginia Beach has a big meet this weekend too. I think they are supposed to get 10" and they are definitely not prepared.
How did everything turn out with your dd and her tibial growth-plate injury? If she is competing in Ashville this weekend, that's a good sign!

How did everything turn out with your dd and her tibial growth-plate injury? If she is competing in Ashville this weekend, that's a good sign!
Sadly it is only my younger DD competing. The doctor said he thought the tibia would be the easiest to heal and the quad tendon tear would be the hardest. Unfortunately she still has pain at the point of the tibia fracture when trying squat jumps at PT so she can't do any tumbling or landings. I think this may be the end for her but she needs to come to that conclusion herself and right now she is struggling mightily with her heart wanting to continue but her body failing her. It hurts me as a mom to see this as she LOVES this sport more than anyone I know and having a body that just cannot hold up to the intense pressures of upper level gymnastics even though you still want it is so, so hard. She is only 14, so too young to begin coaching at her gym yet. I wish there was a way to keep her in this sport.

My DD only had a buckle fracture there; but two years later she continues to have pain where she broke it. They did an MRI and it is healed, so she has decided to deal with it. She regularly goes back into PT, she can't fully straighten that leg to gymnastics standards, and she backs off when the pain really increases; but she has gone back.

Sadly it is only my younger DD competing. The doctor said he thought the tibia would be the easiest to heal and the quad tendon tear would be the hardest. Unfortunately she still has pain at the point of the tibia fracture when trying squat jumps at PT so she can't do any tumbling or landings. I think this may be the end for her but she needs to come to that conclusion herself and right now she is struggling mightily with her heart wanting to continue but her body failing her. It hurts me as a mom to see this as she LOVES this sport more than anyone I know and having a body that just cannot hold up to the intense pressures of upper level gymnastics even though you still want it is so, so hard. She is only 14, so too young to begin coaching at her gym yet. I wish there was a way to keep her in this sport.

So sorry to hear this. My dd's injury was in May and it wasn't until Dec that she was pain free with all PT exercises. She is slowly getting back to floor and vt. Will likely only compete bars/beam this season. Non-weight-bearing for such a long time causes a lot of atrophy that take a lot of time to build back up and affects stabilization of the bones and joints. Dd's pt said the pain was coming from the surrounding area, which is stressed due to weakness, not from the bone injury itself. Week by week, dd could do a little more pain free.

Don't write off your dd's recovery just yet. I had my doubts with my dd too especially after coming off the crutches with her in pain and losing all that muscle and flexibility, but am amazed by how her recovery has gone. The last 2 months of PT is where we saw the big improvement in terms of returning to gymnastics skills. Give yours another 3 months of PT, then decide.

Last edited:

I understand where you are coming from. My oldest DD had a series of injuries that were going to impact her long term. She spent her childhood in this sport which she wanted to do more than anything. I struggled with the knowledge that she likely would have to leave gymnastics. I didn't know how it was going to go once she stopped practicing but she discovered diving. She's actually happier now than I've seen her in ages. Her former injuries, which would likely impact her in any high impact sport, are a thing of the past. She's using her gymnastics skills every practice as she tumbles in her dives. In only six weeks of diving for her high school team, she's already qualified for sectionals and is halfway to qualifying for States, probably the first person from her high school to do that in twenty years. Her coach is convinced it's because of her gymnastics background. She has absolutely no regrets about leaving gymnastics and is hoping to be able to dive in college. So you may want to introduce your daughter to the sport. Try a few lessons with a club. You never know, she may find a new passion that's a lot easier on her body but gives her the same sense of fulfillment.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I wanted to tell you I'm so sorry. I think a lot of gymnasts run into this during higher level optionals. We have a friend that competed up to L8 and then had to quit b/c of an injury. They thought her gymnastics career was pretty much over. But then a couple of years later she was able to come back as a high school senior. She petitioned into Xcel gold, which was much less strenuous on her body and finished off her gymnastics career on a high note with huge scores and won her state championship. She is now on a rowing team at a D1 college on scholarship. Even though her path didn't work out quite they expected, she still got to come back and finish up what she started and even started a new adventure. Tell your dd to keep her head held high. Even if she is unable to come back to optional level gymnastics, she may still be able to find a way to stay in the sport or even find a new sport she loves just as much. Sending lots of healing vibes her way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back