WAG Baby in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't have a problem with nursing in public. But this isn't about nursing in public, it is really about nursing in your place of employment. I know there are laws in some States that protect a mothers right to nurse, or pump, at work. I know Mariposa, the mod, is pretty up on that stuff.

i don't think there is any need for this thread to turn into a breast feeding debate, more about time management and childcare. Especially as the OP is more than happy to work with her gym to make things work, including bottle feeding if necessary.

i really think a chat with the owner/head coach will answer most of her questions.

Last edited:
I didnt mean to start a breast feeding debate either and I wasnt questioning whether it woul be allowed. I was mostly wondering if there might be some parents uncomfortable with having their children see nursing in public or having to explain what i was doing. But no discussion needed. I will work it out. Thanks again for everyone's help.

I wanted to tell about my experience. Our coach brought her baby in at a very young age (like 4 wks) and it has worked well. I would watch her baby during my son's practice for her and sometimes other parents/teenager would also help. When her baby was very young she would sometimes nurse when needed and as he got a little older I would bottle feed him. She actually coaches the boys team --think 20 boys on the floor with her and 2 other male coaches, and none, nor the parents had a problem with her nursing. Parents actually thought it was a good thing for the boys to become future supportive dads of nursing and see it as normal. (She was covered.) And this was the midwest where sometime people can be uptight ;-) The baby would simply sleep a lot of the time in the stroller or be held in my arms. It has worked out great and I am glad I am able to help her. The baby is now crawling and we simply stay in her office with some toys and snacks during practice time. But there is a big window and I can still watch my son practice :) She is able to handle it all well. She knows what she needs to be focusing on when she is on the floor with the boys. We even as a team parent group would help out during the away meets since sometimes her husband was not able to attend all the meets. We seemed to all pull together as a team to make it happen and help her and I am glad we have been like that. I think doing this has been a huge plus for both her baby needing to be close to mom and for our children to see that kids are a benefit and that we can help others and not just think of ourselves. I think it would be great if you could ask any parents/siblings if they would be willing to help out. I hope it works out for you and your baby.

I don't see why discreetly nursing in the gym is an issue, if kids have questions, answer them honestly. Babies get milk from breasts, end of story. I can't see why any parents would have an issue, but as MaryA says, it's what you feel comfortable with.

At this point I am glad I live in the UK, and got 9 months paid (although only part pay for 6 months) maternity leave. I had to be allowed breaks to pump and/or breastfeed by law.

At our gym there's a few coaches with young children, and they seem to take it in turns to babysit on their nights off when partners can't look after youngsters, working schedules so they work together as little as possible.

It sound like you need to chat with your employers and see what their policies are, if they have a maternity policy at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back