Parents Back Extension Roll - Hairstyle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello!

Hoping someone here can give some advice for an ideal hairstyle that will not affect my DD's back extension roll. Her gym requires a bun, and at a recent meet she caught her bun on the floor while doing a back extension roll in the middle of her routine o_O

Any tips for a bun or ideal bun placement that won't get in the way of a back extension roll would be greatly appreciated!

Hello!

Hoping someone here can give some advice for an ideal hairstyle that will not affect my DD's back extension roll. Her gym requires a bun, and at a recent meet she caught her bun on the floor while doing a back extension roll in the middle of her routine o_O

Any tips for a bun or ideal bun placement that won't get in the way of a back extension roll would be greatly appreciated!
where was the bun?? i always have my hair up in a high messy bun at practice when doing back extension rolls and never have any issues with my hair getting caught.

You have to do a pretty high bun to avoid that. Basically at the top of her head so she doesn’t hit the bun on the back extension roll.

We always did a low bun for L3 and had no problems. I would suggest trying it in various places for practices and seeing what works best.

Thanks all for the advice! She had a massive bun right in the center of her head, I will have her try either super high or low and see how it goes during practice.

High bun!

A large low bun might get in the way, but ultimately if the technique is good - it really shouldn't matter - they should be rolling on their arms not their head.

This is mostly correct. Although some girls just have a lot of hair to manage, and other girls just don't have the correct technique yet. A fool proof strategy is to try different hairstyles at practice, see what works, then use the same hairstyle in competition. (A common mistake is to compete in a different hairstyle than at practice.)

Thanks all for the advice! She had a massive bun right in the center of her head, I will have her try either super high or low and see how it goes during practice.
It really has to be on the top of their head. I do my daughter’s hair and then have her do a candlestick roll to make sure it’s high enough. She is an oddball and loves the back extension roll and still has it in her level 7 routine so I’ve done this hair for years. She can do “college messy bun” or the standard ballet style as long as it’s high enough.

I asked a few of my kids (hair is not exactly my forte!) they said braids are the most foolproof way to avoid hair conflicts on back extension and dive rolls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back