Back from Camp Woodward

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
Well, Emma and I are back from Camp Woodward. it was pretty fun. I had 16 girls in my cabin, ages 7-10. I had 1 really homesick girl, but for the most part I had a great group. As I feared the food was definitely an issue. Emma is allergic to dairy and eggs and had 2 reactions while I was there to stuff that was supposedly safe for her to eat. Ugh!

Emma loved every minute of it and learned a ton. She was tapped to come back in August and now we don't know what to do. The food is definitely an issue. They don't have openings for me to work and I don't know if I should send her by herself or not. She is 9. I don't know if it is worth it for her to go another week or not?

Another option is would that money be better spent on privates? It sure seemed to me that almost everyone there takes privates several times a week (holy cow!) and some gyms even make it mandatory. I had never thought of privates before except for maybe to concur a specific skill that she might really be struggling with. Thoughts anyone?

Jennifer

I wouldn't waste my money on privates unless it is for something very specific...to me, they are in the gym enough that they should be able to be coached on what they need...if not, then it's a coaching issue, not a "you need to do a private and that's the only way you'll get it " issue.

We have been at Woodward for the TAP weeks and it's actually quite fun...much more low key but they get a lot done and a lot out of it. As far as the food, my daughter has a nut allergy and we've never had an issue there but I suppose you could basically go over with her what she can and absolutely cannot eat. Do she have anaphylaxis to the food or is it a rash?

Last edited:
Glad she had fun! But, I wouldn't send her for another week without you, especially with the allergy problem. I'd be afraid that she'd have a severe reaction and it would be heightened by the fact that you aren't there. That's just MHO. My dd only had privates when she was struggling with something. If she can't get what she needs in practice then that's a coaching issue. The cost of privates will really add up and when does it end?

Glad she had a good time. Sorry the food was an issue. What does it mean to be 'tapped' for another week? Is there a reduced fee or a special program or something???

bookworm and nettyinpa - that was my feelings on privates. Only if it is a specific skill that she can't seem to get. It seems at my gym though, that everyone does privates on a regular basis. We don't have the money for that.

We are still on the fence about whether to send her back to camp or not. Their "tap" program is where they pick the kids that stood out to them during the week and invite them back, at a discount, for a week at the end of the summer. So all the kids that were tapped throughout the summer come at the same time. It sounds fun, but it is expensive even with the discount and we already paid for her to go once this summer. Not sure what we will do. Thanks for the input!
Jennifer

IM so GLAD you guys had fun at woodward! did you guys go to woodward west? thats where i wanna go! im kinda scared of getting home sick though! if you have pictures of woodward UPLOAD them!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back