WAG Back Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ah... so front and back refers to the direction of the hands and not the direction of the rotation. That makes some sense, at least.

well, the direction of the hands will go in the same direction as the body. this is why we refer to using the word "grip".

you can actually be in the grip i described and go the opposite way or what we call a "wrong way" giant. some coaches call it "wrong grip" giant.

and you wonder why it can be confusing...lol :)

When DS was explaining the giants he was learning he also used the grip terminology, which made it so much less confusing than the front/back thing!

Do the boys learn reverse grip earlier as a general rule because giants are easier on h bar than on unevens? (Or is it just in my kids' gym that the boys are learning both front/back or reverse/regular at close to the same time in late L5, while the girls tend to hold off on learning reverse/front on the real bar until late L8?)

D uses that terminology as well. But in our gym, they learn the regular grip giants first, then reverse grip. He says he thinks that reverse are easier, so he prefers to teach teh others first. not sure if that is true or not, but it is the philosophy he uses.

Of course, we can throw in those eagle giants too...so many ways around the bar!!!

When DS was explaining the giants he was learning he also used the grip terminology, which made it so much less confusing than the front/back thing!

Do the boys learn reverse grip earlier as a general rule because giants are easier on h bar than on unevens? (Or is it just in my kids' gym that the boys are learning both front/back or reverse/regular at close to the same time in late L5, while the girls tend to hold off on learning reverse/front on the real bar until late L8?)

both giants are easier for boys because of the small diameter of the bar. reverse grips are more difficult for girls because of the larger diameter of the bar.

both giants are easier for boys because of the small diameter of the bar. reverse grips are more difficult for girls because of the larger diameter of the bar.
==
That's for sure! I am still waiting for the powers to change the girls highbar out for metal some day. I know,,,, don't hold my breath....

well, the direction of the hands will go in the same direction as the body. this is why we refer to using the word "grip".

you can actually be in the grip i described and go the opposite way or what we call a "wrong way" giant. some coaches call it "wrong grip" giant.

and you wonder why it can be confusing...lol :)

I have to go lie down now......

Right???? Who names these things?!?!?!? Where is the oversight for those of us who get easily confused? :)
Well perhaps you and MaryA should put together a focus group to guide a blue ribbon panel to form a select committee charged with creating a watchdog group that will report directly to an over site committee that works in concert with a newly created Panel Of Original Protocols. That way, whenever you find yourself flummoxed you can take the first step toward relief with an exclamation of "Oh P.O.O.P."

What level to they typically learn front giants? DD is L7 and has back giants.
Most kids stick to routines formed around back giants, release skills using back giants as the lead in skill, and back fly aways like double backs, and twisting layout fly aways.

There are so many ways to put routines together together that most kids don't need to work the fronts into their repertoire, and a few kids who's physical traits simply scream out to do front work.

Thank you so much for your advices.

She watched her giants on tablet and she saw how arching her body. Also her tap was too early.
Then she corrected her tap timing.
But still arching.

She disappointed she couldn't make it yet.
But I told her 1 step 1 the time.
And I let she read your advices.
After that she said I will change and make it next practice. Hopefully it's happen to her. ;)

So you go frontward for back giants? Huh?
===
Technically you are going backwards in a back giant and frontwards in a front giant. That is why they are named as such. It you watch a giant and mentally remove the bar you will see a gymnast doing back flips in a back giant and front flips in a front giant.

It makes sense to me - it's the direction you're going over the bar. Seeker, our L7 girls are working on front giants on strap bar.

I think about it this way... if you held onto a floor bar and did a front walkover, your feet are going the same way they would in a front giant.

My coach has been teaching to girls who are just learning giants to spot their toes both on the way down before they tap and on the way up after they tap. This helps to avoid the arch after the tap to the best of my knowledge. Thinking of tapping over the top of the bar rather than just to handstand also helps.

If you have direction confusion, think of the way your body goes on a back hip circle and a front hip circle - same direction just no hips on the back and front giants... more people know back and front hip circles confidently.

What level to they typically learn front giants? DD is L7 and has back giants.

DD has been doing front giants on straps all year. Coach said she will likely start them in the pit in shortly. Generally at our gym, front giant work starts at around L8.

She finally did tonight!!!!

We did some drills at home yesterday, and at the practice tonight coach talked to her. Then she did!!!!

I had my class to coaching but her HD coach approach me and let me watch her giants. It was not perfect one but she did.

She had hard time for a while but finally she climbed one of mountains.

Thank you so much who gave advices!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back