WAG Back Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

monkeygymnast

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi, everyone!
I need your help.

My DD is level 7 this season( 10 years old)
She is prepare already level 8 for floor and beam and vault. But uneven bars....

She can do cast handstand and free hip handstand. But back giants...
I think her tap is not too bad.
Her shoulder is all way up to over the bar but her body shape arching. Her coaches told her be hollow position.
I am gymnastics coach but I don't coaching her. So I try not saying anything. When she can do tuck shape giant.
She told me she trying hollow but not happen.

How can I help her?

She has to change from what she's doing to what the coaches are telling her. She should also talk to her coach and describe what anyone learning a giant needs to concentrate on. Her description needs to be what/how she thinks of the skill, rather than simply reciting the steps and corrections she's gone through with her coaches.

Knowing what the coach wants has nothing to do with what the gymnast thinks. If she honestly shares her thought process with her coach, he/she will quickly know if she has one picture in her head, while the coach has a different picture, and that every correction given her is added to her picture because that's all she knows to do.

After that she has to want to make the change and trust the coach's advice. Her next step should be to force small changes while looking for one that feels different to her and works for her and the coach. If she doesn't feel a difference then she is not changing anything, and the skill will be an exact copy of what doesn't work. Really, she's grown familiar with the wrong motion and knows how it feels. That means the correct way is going to feel very different. Maybe she won't like the way it feels because it's a new sensation, and decide that feeling means the correction is totally useless. That's something the coach should decide.

Gymnastics..... It seldom, if ever, makes sense to kids learning skills the first time around.

I agree with "Iwannacoach" - it could just take some time...there is obviously something amiss either in the communication or the interpretation. Doesn't sound like it's anything to get too worried about. I would have her watch some videos and see if she can visualize her position...then tape herself and see where she could improve. Ultimately, trust in her coach is the most important thing to correct anything.

......then tape herself and see where she could improve. Ultimately, trust in her coach is the most important thing to correct anything.

I like the idea of her watching video as long as she does not see her chest and shoulders popping open, after a brief tap, and determines "I know I could make this if I just pop a lot harder." She'll likely do that too, because her mental model includes that angle pop. That's why she needs to work from the beginning and let her coach give her the right mental model.

Are back giants different from "giants"? Sorry, just trying to learn about new skills at higher levels and I know different people call skills different things. IWC, is my kid doing giants or back giants or both?

How does the terminology make sense? It has always confused me.

no kidding...:) when coaching i use regular grip and reverse grip. and although you can do 'wrongway' giants from both grips, the kids will not learn what those are for several years.

How does the terminology make sense? It has always confused me.

also, it's from the old days. when your up on the bar and fall forward (clockwise) from a handstand it's "front" or forward. when your up on the bar and fall backwards (counter clockwise) from a handstand it's "back" or backward.

when you go around the bar 'clockwise' in a front grip (thumb on top) your "back" is going around the bar.

when you go around the bar 'counter clockwise' in a regular grip (thumbs under) your "front" is going around the bar.

this is why i prefer using front grip and regular grip when they're young cause they DO get confused.

and of course, then you have 'wrong way' giants that you can do from both of those grips. also from the old days. how can you really say you're going around the bar the "wrong way" as long as you're going around the bar? bottom line...hold on! :)

Ah... so front and back refers to the direction of the hands and not the direction of the rotation. That makes some sense, at least.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back