Back Tumbling Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So i never liked tumbling from the very beginning. I thought it involved wayyy too much energy, but i was willing to put up with it because i dreamed of being a college gymnast. Well, over the summer, we started doing all these drills for tumbling (we got a new coach) and i found out that i have been tumbling wrong. So it was hard to change a habit. Then, we started training for level 7 and i started doing back layouts. At first, they were super easy, but slowly, over the summer, i started getting scared of them. It got worse and worse and i would absolutely dread coming to gym because i didn't want to do floor. Then i started bailing the back flips every once in a while, and that freaks me out.
The other day, we were going over our floor routines and when i bailed my layout, i just snapped. I told my coach i needed to tell her something in private, so when we were alone, i just started bawling and i admitted that i was scared to death of back tumbling. She was really surprised because i never said anything before, so i told her how i thought i could handle and overcome my fears, but then i couldn't.
Now we are in competetion season and i had to go down to mod op because i need my layout for 7. After the 1st mod op meet, we realized it wasn't for me and my coach moved me back to 7.
Now i don't know what to do! I am freaked out by the thought of even going to floor, and iv'e tried so many things to get over my fears. I would tell myself that i have done it tons of times before and that i could do it, and it worked for a while, but then i got another mental block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's only round-off backhandspring into something that scares me. I can still front tumble and do round off flips, but i really need to back tumble with a layout! If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, pleaseeeee comment! I really love gymnastics and i don't want to give it up because of some fear. Please help if possible, and thanks so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back