Back-walkover help?:((

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So i am gonna be in level 3 Pre-Team soon & i know that you use a back-walkover. i am starting pre-team April 18th so i know i can learn it there, but........im not that patient!:) i wanna try now. i can fall into a backbend and a bridge so either way i start is fine. so i know people say put all the weight in your hands, and i try but it doesn't work. i CAN NOT get my legs over. i only get them not even a foot off the ground then i collapse. i keep my weight in my hands the whole time soo..im not sure. any tips or help? thanks!!:)

For sure find an elevated surface and put your feet up on it and your hands on the ground and practice kicking over, you'll at least get the feel of it. Maybe try it down a wedge mat if you have one at home or at the gym.

Some gymnasts find it's easier to rock back and forth in a bridge and then when they are on a rock when the weight is on there hands they kick. I personally never found this helpful.

Otherwise just keep trying. Mine kinda came naturally and was pretty easy so sorry I can't be of more help!!
It also helped for me to become more flexible because I find it easier to put one leg straight and kick over with straight legs with one leg kinda pulling the other over in a split. Don't know if this is the 'correct' way to do it. But it helped me and it looked prettier because I had straight legs.

Wow. thanks for telling me the 'rocking back & forth' thing. i did that, and it worked! i am a lot closer to going over than i was yesterday, but i only make it like 50% of the time, the other 50% i fail. hahaha. but. gotta keep practicing:)

My DD struggled with this for a while this year. What helped her was practising kick-overs with feet up on a mat. You start with a high mat (say 10 to 12 inches) then work your way down through lower mats until you can do it at floor level. It also helps to work on shoulder flexibility, and to make sure you put your hands as close to your feet as you can. Don't worry about trying to kick 'over', just aim to get up into a handstand split position. Once you can get to there, the rest will follow.

Practice rocking back and forth between your hands and feet, this helps you to get the feel of putting the weight on your hands.

Sorry I'm a little late, but hopefully this will help if you're struggling with your back walkover. It's one of my best, and favorite, skills. The key to any kind of walkover is back flexibility, so the closer to your feet you place your hands while going backwards, the easier getting your legs over will be. Hope this helps :)

Put your good foot, in front of your bad... Then follow your hands down. Make sure that when your hands hit, your shoulders are pressed over your finger tips (May need to work shoulder flexibility) then arch your back a lot, and push off your bad foot! Good luck!! Practice makes perfect!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back