WAG Backwalkovers on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am trying to compete level 6, but I have not scored out of level 5 yet. I have all of my skills except my backwalkover on beam, and I only have two meets left to score out at that are both in a month or less. I can do backwalkovers on low beam consistently, I do them on medium beam every day with spot and sometimes by myself, and I have done them on high beam with spot and by myself only once. I am just so scared that I will miss my hands. All of the coaches say that I will be okay on high beam an that I just need to be confident. I really want to be able to compete level 6 this year, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thats a tough one and my DD has struggled with this as well. You might check out Doc Ali (Alison Arnold)'s website as she has some really good information on creating a tight mind. Good luck!

Confidence is crucial, but I think some gymnasts get scared because they feel they dont have enough control in their back walkovers. I like to do a drill on the floor (and then on the beam), where the gymnast stands in passe and then, on one leg reaches back into a back bend (ending in a bridge on one leg). This seems to build the confidence in control and often helps with fear issues.

Your brain is smart enough to put your hands down— your brain wouldn't let you miss. That's what my coach said. Try counting down from 5 or something like that. Once you get your hands down push yourself into a hallow position and step down like your in a handstand. (After a while your back will get sore so make sure you stretch you back out really good. Just keep telling yourself you know what to do, you can do it! If you tell yourself you aren't afraid you will be able to do it. Goodluck!

I second the mats idea that's one of the things I did way back in the day. I also agree that doing those drills going into the one legged backbends. Backwalkovers on beam became one if my favorites once I got them. Good luck you can do it!!

Confidence is crucial, but I think some gymnasts get scared because they feel they dont have enough control in their back walkovers. I like to do a drill on the floor (and then on the beam), where the gymnast stands in passe and then, on one leg reaches back into a back bend (ending in a bridge on one leg). This seems to build the confidence in control and often helps with fear issues.

i do NOT recommend doing this drill on a high beam. low beam fine.

@dunno I've seen it done on high beam, but have never used it there/have never felt the need. I start on floor with a light spot once they can back bend well. Progress to by themselves, then on a foam floor beam, then on a low beam with a spot and finally by themselves. This isn't an overnight thing, and it's not something I would ever have a gymnast do on the beam first day they tried it.

I can do backwalkovers on low beam consistently......... I do them on medium beam every day with spot and sometimes by myself........... and I have done them on high beam with spot and by myself only once........ I am just so scared that I will miss my hands.

............so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Believe in your common sense to do the same back walkover on the medium and high beam that you do on the floor beam. There's no difference in the width, length, or shape of the beam, and you certainly won't change the way you do a back walkover.

I doubt you could do it wrong unless you purposefully tried to do it wrong. So decide which you want most, fear..... or a back walkover. Do yourself a favor.

Can you start on the high beam with mats all the way up, and then slowly remove the mats one by one?
I think this is a good idea because sometimes you need to be able to do a back walkover on the high beam to feel what it's like, but it's still low enough for you to be able to go for your back walkover confidentially! Start with the mats stacked up all the way on the highest beam, even if you can do a back walkover on a higher beam than that. It will get you comfortable with the high beam :)

One of my best gym friends got hers on Wednesday. She was crying because she was so scared but by the end of the night she ha it! She got spots on high beam and every time the coach spotted a little less. The by the end the coach was just standing next to her. Then the coach took 1 step away and she did it then the coach took 2 steps away etc. if your coach is willing to dedicate the time to this idea I think it would be really beneficial! Hope it helps xo

My back handspring is ok I worked on them for a little bit a few months ago during summer but my backwalkover is closer to being on high beam and I only have a short amount of time to get the skill and backwalkovers will be quicker to get. Thanks everyone for your advice! I will let I know how it goes!

Ok this is a scary point for me to! Infant last night was the only time I have ever attempted a backwalkover on anything other than a line on the floor and my new coach made me do it on the high beam! I was soo scared but I found that if you stand there and think about it then you get more scared so one if my tips is to get up and go! Another one of my tips is to put the beam pad on as it does help alot! My last tip is to have trust in yourself! You can do it and I believe in you! Let me no how you go

Thanks everyone! My backwalkover are going a lot better now. My coaches made a new rule that I have to skip low beam and medium beam and go straight to high beam with spot. I thought that this was a horrible idea, but I ended up liking it because I just get up and go and I spend less time warming up and freakin out and just go for it. Thanks again you all are so helpful!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back