Parents Bad cut. Will it affect the performance?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

IreneKa

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hi,

DD cut her point fingure last night with a knife. Pretty deap cut, took us a while to stop the bleeding. :(
Her next meet is this weekend, and I'm worried it will affect her performance, especially the bars. I was really hoping she'd do better this time, she's been practicing so hard. Is 4 days enough for the cut to heal? If it still hurts on Saturday, would wearing some type of a finger protector help?

There are two things I find skeevy in gymnastics: pits and chalk buckets. I'm terrified of MRSA and have heard that chalk buckets can be a harbor for that bacterium. Please consider wearing protection over the finger until the wound has healed over.

Good point. I'll stop by CVS and buy something before the practice tonight.

I know your dd will hate to do it, but it might be best to skip bars tonight. If the cut reopens it could be very messy and the risk of infection is greater - plus it will slow down healing. Good luck! I imagine it will hurt with everything she does in practice unfortunately.

If the cut is on the "grip side" of her finger it will probably get stretched enough to open back up, but unless she *should have* had stitches, it'll eventually heal as long as there's no infection.

My Dd slammed her finger in the car door 5 days before a meet. (this season, 1st weekend in March)) The darn thing bled for 4 days. (obviously she should have had a stictch or two.) I ended up putting a buttlerfly bandange on it and then she wrapped it up. To be Frank, she has a horrible meet. The worst one of the her season. She fell off bars twice!! (Level 9) She just couldn't grip the bar. (again, I probably should have had her scratch the meet)

I was more concerned with the keeping the wound clean and infection free.

She lost the finger nail from this accident the day she competed in regionals.(2 weeks ago) Ack! It was super sore but she did a great bar routine that day :)

Good luck to your Dd and I hope her finger heals quickly.

Thanks, guys.
Yes, I'm planning to tell the coach that DD should skip bars tonight. Hopefully she'll be able to do the other stuff. I wouldn't want her to miss the entire practice this close to the meet, and the state meet is the following weekend.

Good point. I'll stop by CVS and buy something before the practice tonight.

tape it up and put a finger "rubber" over it. they sell them at drugstores. just like regular "rubbers"...but...well...smaller. :)

Should have skipped the practice yesterday. It opened up and was bleeding again after the practice, even though she skipped bars. :(
Oh well, two gymnastics-free days, then we'll see if we should skip the Friday practice to let it heal properly by Saturday.

Poor thing. Hope it heals up so that she can enjoy the meet and do well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back