Bad falls?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SuperGirlmlm

Gymnast
I have two questions for you guys!

1. What are some of your bad falls?

2. Do you tell your parents?

I miss catching the bar a lot because my hands are so small (5 inches from wrist to fingertips I'm 13!) But, my muscles are somewhat immune to those falls. It's always on a mat or over the pit, so I've never gotten seriously hurt, only a bruise occasionally on my leg or something.
On beam, it's a different story. I have at least one bad fall every practice! Though, I'm fine.
On floor, I just fall over after my feet hit the ground, though I broke my wrist 2 years ago doing a back hand spring. Though, one time I landed square on my face. Luckily, I stayed tight and made it look like a shushinova:)
On vault, I don't have that many bad falls, just one time, I went sideways from the table-I got a bruise and was fine:)

I wouldn't even know where to start, most are stupid fluke type ones though.. I am known for crashing, falling, face planting, anything but staying on my feet :)

One time I was apparently (according to my coach) thisclose to breaking both of my arms!
The sad part is I was doing one of the easiest things ever. I was jumping up to the high bar. Not from the low bar. From the FLOOR. To do pullups. Ugh.
So, I was about 10, so I was one of the shortest in the class. The high bar was a bit too high for me to reach by jumping, so my coach told me to put a panel mat under it to jump from. I did, but when I jumped, it slid in front of me a bit. I almost grabbed the bar, but I was a tiny bit too far down, so I fell back down. Normally, you would just land back on your feet. But since the mat had slid, my feet were in front of me, so I crashed onto my back.
This part is according to my coach. She was watching me. I had no idea this stuff happened, but:
I guess when I was falling, I had my arms behind me. About half a second before I hit the ground, I pulled them in. Unfortunately, not quite soon enough, so my elbows hit the ground first and I got a nice whiplash. But at least I pulled them in!
It would have actually been a bit funny to see my coach, because I guess she turned around right as I started falling, so her face must have been hilarious. Imagine seeing one of your girls come flying out of the sky! So then everyone ran over and were like OHMYGOSH ARE YOU OKAY???? And my coach told me what happened and got me ice. After class she went out and talked to my mom.

Most of my really bad falls are on beam. Lol.

One time, I was in a handstand on beam, I went past vertical, so, when tried to turn my hand, and come down, (sort of like in the Level 6 dismount) I guess I didn't turn my hand quite right, because I slammed my back on the beam, then my ankle on the beam, and fell flat on my back on the floor.

I usually trip over mats two or three times every practice, too. :)

I have had some pretty crazy falls, yet I've never broken anything other than toes (knock on wood). I guess I just fall so hard and fast that I never have any time to try and catch myself or tense up.

One time I split the beam three days in a row. On a switch leap, a back handspring, then a switch leap again! It was pretty hard to come back from that one psychologically, but that was a while ago.

For floor, I was at my very first level 8 meet, and my first tumbling pass was a front handspring front layout front tuck. I was VERY nervous, so I ran into it much faster than I usually do. I guess the floor was bouncier than I thought, because I ended up doing a front handspring front layout, missing my feet, faceplanting on the floor, then bouncing and rolling over onto my butt. That one was pretty brutal, not only because it pretty much scared 5 years off my life, but also because of the 1.00 taken off my score.

And finally, the one fall that my teammates will NEVER let me live down. We were warming up on our first event, which was vault. I still wasn't completely used to landing my tsuk onto hard mats, so again, I ran faster than I intended to. I ran so fast that I literally ran myself into the ground until I tripped and rolled off the run way! Other than a little rug burn on my foot and a bruised ego, I was okay, so vault went pretty uneventful after that. Unfortunately, my teammates frequently watch replays of my fall, never letting me forget that I don't know how to run :)

My parents hear about everything I do at gym, even the falls. In fact, my dad was the one that filmed me tripping on vault!

OMG, I trip everywhere. Though, I'm not doing any skills, I'll just be walking somewhere in the gym, and I'll trip over something. It only happens in the gym, crazy!
Last night at practice, I was doing a front double full beam dismount into the pit, there were mats stacked 2 feet above the pit surface next to me. I went a little off direction and I was still twisting and my face slammed on the mat. My teammate, who was on the beam behind me, "Oh my gosh! Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm good, what just happened?"
"You were still twisting and your face slammed into the mat, it looked like it hurt a lot!"
"It happened so fast, it didn't hurt. It happened so fast I don't know what happened."

I took my DD, she was 3 or 4 at the time, to an open gym. They had a rope swing over the pit, that she was swinging on. Well, some genius put a board in there, off to the side, so the kids could climb out easier. You can probably guess what happened next....as kids jumped the board would move. So when it's DD's turn, she lets go, cracks into the board with her face, and loosens one of her teeth. There was blood pouring out of her mouth, she's screaming (whether from pain or just being freaked out I don't know). She's never done that rope swing again. I was so mad at myself too. I saw the board off to the side, but there was a coach supervising the swing. I figured it was always there, so I didn't say anything. :mad:

My worst falls have been on beam. ON THE SAME DAY, I once landed on my face on the mat AND I ended up dangling from my knees on the beam after doing cartwheels...

Also, even if I'm spotted in a handstand, I always end up having a bad fall. The coach who always spots handstands is a poor spotter at them. She grabs you weird so, in your handstand, you are LEANING OVER TO THE SIDE. And that always freaks me out and I try to come down and wiggle out and end up smacking the beam with an arm or a leg and I plop off to the side. And, if I don't do that in the actual HANDSTAND part, I ALWAYS split the beam while coming down. I TRY to put my feet on the beam, but I can't.

And let's not forget when I sprained my ankle...doing a roundoff!!! I landed on the SIDE of my foot, then began stumbling backwards and fell off the edge of the floor, tumbling onto the ground. Funny thing is, my ankle pain didn't cause that! Just the fact that I landed on the side of my foot threw me off balance. {My ankle didn't start hurting too much until AFTER gymnastics.}

But, since all of these are SAD bad falls, why not tell a HAPPY one? Well, this was a few years ago, and the coach was yelling and saying that if I didn't do a front tuck from the trampoline onto this HUGE, squishy mat, then I would get TONS of strength. And I was crying {I don't cry that much at regular gym--as in, non-camp gym--now, but this was my 5TH DAY at this new gym xD} So, finally, I ran down the trampoline {it's one of those long ones that aren't very bouncy}, and when I went to jump for my front tuck, I disappeared!

Okay, okay, not really. BUT there was a small space at the end of the trampoline that is between the trampoline and the mat. I HAD FALLEN INTO IT!!! But that's not all--there was a SPOTTING BLOCK on the side of the trampoline that I was frantically grabbing on to to prevent myself from falling under the trampoline!!! So, if you blinked for a second, all you saw was a girl running down the trampoline, and then a big red block right above the hole between the trampoline and the mat. xD

Everybody was laughing so hard--even me! I pushed that block out of the way and, with the help of some people, got pulled out of that tiny space and then I did a REAL front tuck onto the mat--WITHOUT falling into the space. xD

THE END! :D

Working on tap swings not too long ago I had a lovely peel. For some reason I regripped going forward, and on the way back just peeled off, caught my feet on the low bar and went down face first. No idea how I didn't break my nose on that one, I was pretty convinced when it happened it would be. Then another time I was doing cartwheels on high beam for the first time and bailed, misses my foot and whacked my shins and fell flat on my back(I think that's what I did lol).

So, I tend to fall off the beam, a lot...So, I have a permanent lump on my right thigh from coming down hard on my leg after missing my feet on my series (back handspring two-foot, back tuck). I've had people ask me about my lump before and I just tell them that series happened. Once when I had a sub coach on beam and she saw me fall like I described (I was laying on the floor at the time too 'cause that's always where I end up) she kept insisting that I get ice, but I didn't, and then when she asked the other coaches and my teammate's opinions on whether I should get ice or not they were all like, "Oh, that's just Cameron, she does that a lot," and were completely unfazed by my fall. I thought it was incredibly amusing.

Another weird crash I've had is one where I've also stopped at the end of my run for my vault because a small child had run onto the landing mat and if I kept going I would've ended up landing on them. So, I slowed down my run and didn't do the back handspring part of my yurchenko and ended up bouncing off the table on my back and landing on the concrete (it was covered by a mat) next to the vault, and then bouncing into the pit. Super weird, but I was up vaulting on the next turn, so no biggy.

However, my worst crash would be the one(s) where I've landed in between our ski floor (like a rod floor) and the mats at the end of the floor that we were landing on. I was doing double backs off of the ski floor onto the mats and they were going great, but then I didn't set very well on one and landed in between the two pieces of equipment. I jammed my ankle really bad and couldn't walk for a week. It also bruised purple and swelled up to the size of a soft ball. I started doing normal gymnastics again about a month and a half after crashing. Unfortunately, I did that last October and consequently didn't get to compete my double back. This story continues though, after season this spring I started working doubles again and they were pretty good; but then I did the same crash about two months ago. This time though, I just bruised my knees horribly and got a rub burn on my face 'cause I was even further forward on the ski floor. Since then, my knees have been a little sore when I have to lean on them to climb out of the pit and such, but they're pretty much fine. But wait, there's more. Three weeks ago I was at a regional gymnastics clinic and working on doubles into the gym's pit, and on the first double I flipped I hit the bottom of their pit and jammed the same ankle as I jammed the first time I crashed (let it be known that it still hadn't gone back to its normal size). This jam isn't anywhere near as bad and I only used my crutches for one day. Good news though, yesterday was the first day that I tried tumbling and vaulting in the past month and it wasn't too bad. My left ankle is still 1.5 times the size of my other one though. One other thing, my coach and I have this joke now that I just shouldn't do double backs anymore 'cause I keep getting injured, but that isn't stopping me, I'm gonna keep trying and one day I will hopefully get to compete it safely. :)

So yeah, I'm a dangerous gymnast, I should have a caution sign taped to my back...Oh wait, I have a taped ankle, wrist guards, and a lump on my right leg, I think everyone call tell just fine. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back