WAG Bad metal block on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

GymnastGirlypop

Gymnast
Reaction score
So I had my back walkover on beam about a year ago and then I fell and got a mental block on it from that point on. From then up to now I have mostly been working my bhs on beam, which I will only do with a light spot. Anyway I started working on my bwos again just in case I don’t get my bhs in time to compete level 6. So I got to the point where I was able to do it on a padded low beam, that was last Wednesday. I decided to go for it on a normal low beam. I bailed halfway, went to my back, and sprained 2 fingers. My next practice is either Monday or Tuesday and I am super worried that I will have such a terrible mental block, (even worse than before) that I will back where I started with getting my bwo back. This will also probably mess me up on my bhs. I have been known to bail on things (beam mostly) and I can’t control it because it is in the millisecond when I am upside down over the beam. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It’s honestly to the extent where I have a second where I feel like I might bail when I do it on the ground. I have thought about just giving it up, but I don’t want to do that because I kind of need for if I go 7 next year or any year and I want to do a bwo bhs.

Your brain has probably gone into a feeling of "danger", so you will need to put it back in safe mode. I'd start with the easier progression possible. I'd go just going back to laying back onto a wall, I'd do that a lot of times, when you feel absolutely comfortable with that, the go to the walkover on floor, only if you never felt the doubt o balking in the middle, then try the next step. If you feel the slightest doubt, go back to the previous progression. Don't try to go fast, even if you really want to. Try to recognize the real feeling of your "instinct" mind. Even if you want to try the harder progression, if your instinct mind is in danger mode, you'll balk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back