WAG Bars Question: Is it more about "swing" or strength?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjb123

Proud Parent
Just curious. My DD (new 5) is quite strong. She can cast to HS, Kip cast HS, (both either over the bar (with straight arms) or hold in HS on the bar), press HS etc. BUT bars has never come easily for her. Last season she did "okay" scoring low 9's. Technique (body position) is good according to her coaches, but they said she has very small hands and not a natural "swing" (This is all from my understanding of speaking with them, may have lost a little in translation!;)) It is strange (for me anyway!) because she is SO strong, and can do things that others in her group (who are older, bigger etc) can't do yet, but they do much better than she does at bars. I am sure it will come in time, she is young (7), but I was just wondering, is bars about strength or swing more?

both. but it is not just about the strength required to perform what they do. it is also about the abnormal strength required to handle and physically cope with the rigors and demands that physics places on the body.

Just curious. My DD (new 5) is quite strong. She can cast to HS, Kip cast HS, (both either over the bar (with straight arms) or hold in HS on the bar), press HS etc. BUT bars has never come easily for her. Last season she did "okay" scoring low 9's. Technique (body position) is good according to her coaches, but they said she has very small hands and not a natural "swing" (This is all from my understanding of speaking with them, may have lost a little in translation!;)) It is strange (for me anyway!) because she is SO strong, and can do things that others in her group (who are older, bigger etc) can't do yet, but they do much better than she does at bars. I am sure it will come in time, she is young (7), but I was just wondering, is bars about strength or swing more?
First let me say it sounds like your daughter is way ahead of the curve if she is only 7 and can do all that you say, so good for her. :) And yes, some girls have a 'natural' swing, whiles others have to develop one. Just some time, and lots of tap swings in all grips to help develop shape and technique, and I have no doubt she will be a bar beast! So in closing, she needs a strong swing. ;)

Just 7 years old and she can do kip cast handstand? I think that is very good. No need to worry. Her swing will improve as her body tension and control over her muscles develops.

Having just done bar scoring this weekend and sitting with the judges for 3 days, I can say that about the only comments they said loud enough for me to hear were things like "she has such a nice swing". Especially at compulsary levels, the highest scores were the ones they commented on the "swing".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back