WAG Beam Complex

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

BarCoach

Coach
Reaction score
States is a little under 2 months away so we're focused on that for now, but I'm beginning to think about our workouts after it's over. I want my girls to feel more comfortable on beam than they did this year so I'd like to put together a beam complex/warm-up/conditioning circuit that gets them feeling ok in any position or scenario on beam, especially upside down on their hands. They will all be level 4s next year (a couple might move up to 5).
Coaches- What is your beam complex? Do you do it every time you do beam? Which drills do you like the best? Why?
Gymnasts- Which drills/warm-up do you find the most helpful?
Parents- Feel free to chime in with what your daughters do or your impressions on what has helped them the most.
Thanks everyone!

Yes...on their hands...Russian style...

I recommend the following...I purchased it...it is great...

Link Removed

EDIT: Sorry...forgot to answer the question...lots and lots and lots of spotted vertical handstands...or do them on the end of the beam so they can tip over and not get hurt. Lots of pressing...jump to support...press to pike stand and hopefully handstand.

Last edited:
Great thread! I had a beam complex I used a bit last season, but I think it's likely for a lower skill level than what you are working with. Lots of work on their toes and jumps if I'm remembering correctly, but I can't seem to find it. Walks, kicks, jumps, leaps, turns (pivot, 1/2, and 1/1), different balances can all be beneficial in my experiences, but then again those are what my girls seem to need the most help with.
JBS- How long should the spotted handstands be held?

JBS- How long should the spotted handstands be held?

At that level it's more just to make sure they are feeling vertical.

EDIT: Keep a record chart for handstand hold time...have contests.

Our basic complex for our development squad is this:

1 length walking with good posture - high releve, straight legs, shoulders down, chin up etc - pivot turn at the end of the beam
1 length swoop steps/dip steps with good posture as above but on flat feet - pivot turn at end
1 length rebound jumps along beam, hands on hips - 1/2 spin at end of beam
1 length needle scales 1/2 spin at end of beam

As they get better at it we might introduce a couple of skills in the centre of the beam such as split jumps or handstands depending on what the gymnasts need. The more advanced girls also do kicks and sideways walking.

In general we do quite a lot of mid-body conditioning before getting on the beams and if a gymnast falls they start the length again, they don't do conditioning on the floor - we'd rather have them get back up and try again to increase the time spent on the beam!

Okay, this is one of the parts of gym I especially love coaching! sounds weird but I love doing beam complex! I will give you two that I do/have done as a gymnast (level 7, was used for level 5+ as well) and the one I do with my prep level 1 and 2s

The one we do now:
10 rows running on the beam
4 rows hopping on the beam on each leg (8 rows total)
walking on releve arms in Y (presentation) x 2
walking backwards on releve arms Y x 2
step kick point rows (flat feet) forwards side and backwards all x 2
10 standing kicks each way
1 x 1min handstand hold with partner
5 handstands each way (normal handstand hands facing the end of the beam and the other side - entry like cartwheel)
then 10 of each skill stuck (walkovers 5 stuck but no more than 10 attempts)

the one we used to do (better IMHO) (lots of counting and clapping for the coach) - quite lengthy
standing in releve for 10 arms Y
10 releves where our coach claps 'down up' if you know what i mean arms Y
half turn with arms down/up whatever you prefer (other foots in front now)
standing in releve for 10 arms Y
10 releves like before
10 half turns
*stretch calfs*
10 kicks each way - foward sidewards and backwards

Next steps we do take a bit more explaining and I kind wish i could video myself doing it
count in 8 for this
Turn preps type 1 x 3
standing toe on knee knee pointing out arms in Y for 1,2,3,4
bring knee to point forward and arms by ear for 5,6,7,8

Turn preps type 2 x 3
don't count for these ones
basically doing the start of the turn doing a ronde de jambe to high releve on one foot step to finish - don't turn hard to explain

5 stuck full turns

jump preps x 3
okay this you don't count rhythmically if you know what I mean
count 1: arms in front chest in
count 2: arms swing back
count 3: arms swing up and you go to releve (NO JUMP)
count 4: landing position
count 5: standing on the beam in Y

do the same thing but on count 3 replace releve with straight jump, then split, then tuck and then wolf - or what ever jump you want

1 min handstand hold with partner with handstand hands
1 min handstand hold with flic hands

10 handstands held for at least 2 seconds stuck

The one I do with my level 1s and 2s
releve section is the same as above but for the releves they have their arms down
at the end of this I have them stand on the beam flat footed making sure they are tight and give them a slight nudge and if they stay on without too much trouble they are tight enough
turn preps type 1 x 5
jump preps like above - only go to straight jump x 5 not jumping, x 5 jumping
at the end remind them of the landing position and go around nudging them again
10 kicks each way

How often do we do it:
level 1s and 2s - every beam session
the other one - all of it once or twice a week and parts of it on other days

as for drills we generally don't have a huge amount of drills just progressions from the line, small beam, middle beam, high beam. For the level 1s and 2s a lot of the skills are drills like leap lead ups etc

I try to include a variety of handstands in my beam program, and have a few different ways of structuring it.

Handstands
I Would not get through all of this in a rotation so the more advanced stuff is switched in and out. I spend a long time spotting the scared kids with the side handstand teaching them how to twist off and fall safely. Once they can do this the other handstands come very quickly. If they are fearful off any other variations I get in and spot them, making them fall the way they are not comfortable with till they gain the confidence to fall on their own. Kids will not hit handstand if they don't know how to fall safely in all directions.
*Tuck handstands with knees on block by low beam for shape
*Side handstand
*Forward handstand
*Forward split handstand
*Side handstand with forward split (really easy to balance!!!)
*Forward split handstand (hold) to join feet (hold) to split handstand (hold)
*Side handstand, step down opposite leg of cartwheel (this is a progression for squaring the cartwheel)
*Fwd handstand hold, turn to side handstand hold
*Cartwheel

Press work
this is often done as part of a separate dedicated rotation for a handstand program (shaping/strength)
*Straddle hold press to straddle stand - stand press down to straddle hold
*Handstand (hold) straddle down counting to 4/8 slowly
*Press to handstand

Walkover progression
*Bridge hold
*Bridge hold with leg held up -work both legs at being up
*Bridge walk -for those with the flexibility
*Bridge leg hold, push to split handstand
*Tic toc holding both need scales and the split handstand position
*Backward walkover to split handstand off beam onto level block or on a wide beam

Circuit
staying at a station until coach calls rotate
Each beam has a set activity, this is how I add my mat stack stations for the side and forward handstand confidence.

Pass 'game'
3+ beams, girls make two lines at each end of one beam, always starting with side handstand they have one turn at a time. they can only move on when they have got a 'yes' twice from the coach. They then move to the next beam and can only move on when they give themselves yes twice, repeat on every beam then return to coach for next handstand variation. To get a yes the handstand must show balance as the kids get better increase the expectation on time and/or shape.

I find this works well for a larger group as you are able to enforce a basic level of quality, they won't get past the coaches beam without doing two really good handstands. It is slower but quality trumps quantity. You get a really good idea of which kids in the group have the maturity/understanding/self discipline because they usually pass the coach station within three turns but somehow end up back to the coach after the kid who took ten tries to pass the coaches station :rolleyes:

For complex work I have found it is not so much what activities you do with the kids but the expectations for how you want it done. You need to be constantly correct their posture/alignment asking them to stretch taller and make their arms longer while pushing their legs down to the beam. You also need to develop the strength and balance in their feet/ankles for obvious reasons.

Whatever complex you put together, the most important element is attention to detail and making every movement look exactly as it was intended. In other words, you gotta nail warm-ups if you want to nail the skill work that follows it. Make a big deal out of even the most basic skill done well, like kick steps with absolutely no bobbles for the entire length of the beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back