Parents Best event constantly changing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

My DD's best event is constantly changing. When she started Level 4, bars and vault were her absolute worst. Then bars really caught up and beam was looking pretty awful. She then got really solid and pretty on beam and bars has been a stuggle lately. Vault remained in the very worst position up until this point. Much to my surprise vault is now looking like her strongest event. She has just struggled for so long to vault well and do it consistently. Yesterday I couldn't believe that was actually my child vaulting. I don't know what changed, but she finally just got it.

Did you find your child's best event changed a lot at this age?

definitely. My dd was a good vaulter early on. Now she stands out more on beam.

Trying to think back to Level 4. My dd was 6 and I think her best events, if you judge by the scores, changed meet to meet. She fell off the beam a lot so that was never her best event. Floor improved meet by meet and wound up being her best event at States, but bars varied as did vault. I think when they are 5 and 6 yo, they can be inconsistent. What's good one meet is not the next, but you do see overall improvement as the season goes on.

Now that my dd is 8 yo and training to compete L7 this year, beam is her new best friend and bars are evil!

DD is seven, best and worst event can change every week.

DS is ten, he has always done well on floor since he started gym. He struggled for a long time on pommel, but finished third on it at his last comp.

I hope my dd one day figures the vault out. She too has changed best events - at level 4 she hated beam and bars were her best event, then as a level 6 she struggled last season with bars, but did well on beam. She will repeat level 6 this year - her bars have improved greatly and she trained level 7 bar skills over the summer. But the one consistent has been vault, which is always mediocre - I'm hoping like your daughter it just finally clicks one day and she will be a good vaulter.:)

We've had some event changes, as well. Level 4 season she was pretty well rounded..it fluctuated a bit from meet to meet. Level 5 season started off great on bars and horrible on beam..by the end of the Level 5 season bars started suffering and beam really came along nicely. She's training Level 6 now and bars are more of a struggle, floor and vault are looking good..and to be honest I haven't seen her do her beam routine. I'm anxious to see how things play out this season. Wouldn't it be nice if it all came together for once!;-)

My DD's best event is constantly changing. When she started Level 4, bars and vault were her absolute worst. Then bars really caught up and beam was looking pretty awful. She then got really solid and pretty on beam and bars has been a stuggle lately. Vault remained in the very worst position up until this point. Much to my surprise vault is now looking like her strongest event. She has just struggled for so long to vault well and do it consistently. Yesterday I couldn't believe that was actually my child vaulting. I don't know what changed, but she finally just got it.

Did you find your child's best event changed a lot at this age?

Yes I see that alot in all the girls. Mostly as their body changes their "best events" can change. Also as they become more "fearful" that can change it and as their confidence level improves that can change it too.

Oh yes--both Sami & Beth have had their best events changing each year--sometimes even within a year.

Going by scores Alex's best event would always have to be bars. However, her beam is really coming along nicely these days (according to her) I have not really seen it in a while but she is always excited to tell me about her beam practice. She has her first meet coming up in 1 month so we will see score wise what the Judges think her best event it!
Vault is hit or miss. I never can tell on vault. Floor is her weakest event ususally as she doesn't have alot of dance background so her routines never look really polished! BUt she really likes the Level 5 routine (not so much the music) so that could make a difference!

Grace is level 4 as well and her best/favorite is and has been beam for awhile now. Bars has been her enemy for awhile now as well. She used to be fairly decent at the vault but for some reason she just lost everything she'd learned on there. Luckily she doesn't compete until the spring so she has a while to tighten up on everything. I'm just hoping by then the dang bar fairy will visit her. lol ;)

YES! My younger DD starts out absolutely horrible on bars when she changes levels...and somehow by the end of the level she scores awesome on bars and floor ends up being her worst. Floor usually starts out good for her. Beam is always bad:p (she has a fear of the beam) and vault comes and goes. She is 6 years old.

My older DD (9) started out last year with awesome bars (mid 9's) and a very weak floor routine (low 8's) and ended up with floor being her highest placement at states (3rd with a 9.25). This year her bars are really good too and I think vault is going to be her worst by far. Not sure about beam and floor yet.;)

I think it just comes and goes.

I talked to the owner at my gym when my DD was level 4 about how every meet she seemed to have a different best event. She said that that makes a good all around gymnast.

So far, it has been like this: level 4 bars & floor
level 5 Vault (but not until state)
level 6 beam

We shall see for level 7.

MamaofEnS

Bars is what I noticed to be the biggest change when daughter moved from4 to5. She hated bars at 4 that darn mill circle but when she hit level 5 her bars were great usually one of her top scoring event and she really likes bars now. Beam has always be one of her favorites and she consistently does well in beam. I think vault was always better in level 4 but she got low to mid 8 in 5. She tells me her vault is looking good this year. I just think it is a boring event for them. Floor continues to be her nemisis and last year when she was injured she got pretty low scores. She is really a outgoing and a good dancer so this is surprising. I think she just does not like the compulsary floor routines it she sticks with it until she becomes an optional maybe she will like it better.

Yes, my dd too...
Level 3 and half-way through level 4 she had NEVER had a meet where she stayed on the beam. Beam got better about half-way through level 4 and now, at level 5, it may be her strongest (and favorite) event. At her first level 4 meet, I was the most afraid of her vault, and that got a lot stronger too, and she does fine with her level 5 vault now. Now her downfall is the bars and the dreaded kip. It's good to remember things like "This time last year I was convinced she'd never get her level 4 vault, and look at her now!" Puts her current difficulties in perspective. I think the only event that she's been consistantly strong on is floor.

When my dd walked out for her very first gym class, all she wanted to do was get on that beam! After about 3 months, she detested it! (lol) couldn't stay on it to save her life! But, she found out that she is very good at bars. I think right now her best and fave is floor. Now she is heading into her very first competition season, so we will see what happens. I am predicting that her best scores will be on floor and bars (as long as she can hit that mill circle!) and that vault and beam will not be so great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back