WAG BHS fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi. I am training to do back handsprings. I can do them with a spot. But once I try by myself, I am scared that my hands won't hold me up and I'll fall. Any tips?

If you are fully physically capable of doing them by yourself and just have a mental block, it is definitely possible to have one by July. Do you have your coach's approval to try them on your own? I know that personally, I have coached many kids who are nowhere near ready to try it on their own but will get it into their heads to do it themselves one day. They will just stand there on a trampoline (or on the floor... even worse) at practice thinking about it until I catch them and tell them that they do NOT need to be trying it on their own yet. The plus side of that is that kids who are that far away rarely will actually attempt it, and when they do they just end up doing a backdrop (which is fine on trampoline but a whole different ballgame on floor).

If you are fully physically capable of doing them by yourself and just have a mental block, it is definitely possible to have one by July. Do you have your coach's approval to try them on your own? I know that personally, I have coached many kids who are nowhere near ready to try it on their own but will get it into their heads to do it themselves one day. They will just stand there on a trampoline (or on the floor... even worse) at practice thinking about it until I catch them and tell them that they do NOT need to be trying it on their own yet. The plus side of that is that kids who are that far away rarely will actually attempt it, and when they do they just end up doing a backdrop (which is fine on trampoline but a whole different ballgame on floor).

I am physically capable. I will ask him to try bhs by myself. My mental block is most definitely the issue here. I sadly do not have a personal trampoline, so I can't do extra practice. This sounds dangerous, but how can I go about having a spot like my mom and trying it on grass?

I am physically capable. I will ask him to try bhs by myself. My mental block is most definitely the issue here. I sadly do not have a personal trampoline, so I can't do extra practice. This sounds dangerous, but how can I go about having a spot like my mom and trying it on grass?
Don't. You, your back handspring, and your mother may all suffer and come out worse than at the start of your idea.

The best advice is to work with your coach and do what the coach suggests. If there's any doubt or you find yourself trying to make sense by comparing corrections to what you think makes the skill work..... forget your way and do it the coaches way. Very often the hardest part of learning a skill is leaving your version of the skill at the door so it doesn't conflict with the coach's ideas and corrections.

Don't. You, your back handspring, and your mother may all suffer and come out worse than at the start of your idea.

The best advice is to work with your coach and do what the coach suggests. If there's any doubt or you find yourself trying to make sense by comparing corrections to what you think makes the skill work..... forget your way and do it the coaches way. Very often the hardest part of learning a skill is leaving your version of the skill at the door so it doesn't conflict with the coach's ideas and corrections.

Good point there. I don't really have my own "version" of the skill but I see what you're thinking. Mental blocks are hard to get over for me.

You may not have your own version of the skill, but just to test the waters....... Is getting upside down something you let happen as a result of everything you do before that point, and trying to be upside down isn't a consideration because it just happens?

You may not have your own version of the skill, but just to test the waters....... Is getting upside down something you let happen as a result of everything you do before that point, and trying to be upside down isn't a consideration because it just happens?

I always wind up doing backdrops on the tramp, so yeah...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back