WAG BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
DD is having trouble getting both hands on the beam for her BHS. Very often she gets both of her feet, but usually only one hand. One coach has said that when she sets she is not square on the beam and that she is turning one hip. Yet, she has a very nice BWO on beam which she never misses.

She is getting frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips? Thanks!!

Have they tried having her do it with a band around her wrists? My daughter used to have this problem with her BWO. She started doing it with a scrunchie around her wrists (her idea) on her beam at home and that solved the problem.

I thought about the bands around her wrists. However, the way they teach the girls to set thir arms come down at their sides for the power to spring up-back. I would think the band would alter the mechanics of that part of the skill, but I really don't know for sure.

Maybe a coach could weigh in. :)

Please talk to the coaches. This can be a dangerous skill (think head trauma and more) I be very careful in seeking and giving support on it..

I have seen girls use bands at our gym when learning it, which is why I recommended it. But every gym does things differently.. so I would definitely ask first... which she would probably have to do anyway since I am sure she's not working them at home. I have had to teach my daughter how to speak up to her coaches and she has finally learned that it reflects positively on her, not negatively. So saying, "I really want to fix my BHS on beam, what can I do differently to keep my hands together?" may go a long way with showing her commitment to getting it correct. For my daughter having this issue on her BWO, I think it was really just a last minute hesitation/freak out kind of thing. I suspect we will have the same issue when she starts working on BHS on beam, especially since she will be going back with power/force. Also, my daughter's coaches have mentioned her shoulder flexibility potentially being part of the issue with things like this on beam. She'll get past it.. hang in there! :)

I have had to teach my daughter how to speak up to her coaches and she has finally learned that it reflects positively on her, not negatively. So saying, "I really want to fix my BHS on beam, what can I do differently to keep my hands together?" may go a long way with showing her commitment to getting it correct..........5girls1boy

Great thing to send your dd off to gym with....... The ability to initiate a conversation with your coach is important. Just starting a two way discussion can lead to discovering what's missing from corrections, and that goes both ways.

Back walkovers are not really a good lead up to a bhs because the emphasis is on arching and maintaining balance along the length of the beam. A bhs does not do this, so the only carry over is the moment the hands touch the beam.

I don't like bands, but some coaches may like them.

My dd is currently working on this skill and she said that she agrees with the coach. She says that if your feet aren't perfectly square in the perfect position you won't make it. She says she kinda shimmies into her feet to make sure she is square before jumping back.

I also have to encourage dd to discuss things with her coach and ask for clarification. If she isn't understanding the correction, ask for clarification. If I had a dollar... :)

When I was learning my back handspring on beam I had the same problem. I just switched what hand I tried to put in front in my back handspring and that immediately fixed it so I could get both hands on the beam. I start with my right foot in front and put my left hand in front in the handspring part. I think because they are opposite sides it keeps me more square over he beam so I don't jump very side ways and can get both hands on. I hope this helps. Good luck to your daughter!

Thanks, everyone! I am sure she will get it, it was just a hard drive home from practice the other night. But that was partly because one coach wanted her to do it with no mats around the low beam and the other coach kept telling her to move to another beam with the mats. She is pretty good about communicating with the coaches but this conflicting direction was frustrating her. Add to that the fact that without the mats she is afraid she will hit her head if she bends her elbow too much and then was getting self-conscious about standing there too long to take her turn while her teamates were waiting for their turn.

She also does not like the idea of the bands around her wrists becuase her set has her swining her arms by her side.

CameronSasmor, I will ask her about the switching of hands/feet as a way to square better.
Thanks!!

When my DD first learned her BHS on beam she had a similar problem - turned one hip, wasn't square when she jumped. What worked for her was practice and gaining confidence in the skill. If she can do it straight on the floor she can do it straight on the beam. Just give it some time.

I know all gyms do everything differently but dd has her hands in a completely different position for bhs than for bwo. Bwo she has them side by side and grasps the beam. BHS she sort of puts one hand over the top of the other.
I know that because she spent a few weeks working hard on bhs, roundoffs and so on and when she tried to do bwo she could get her hands down right and kept doing them as she would for bhs and getting in a mess.

Well, no real improvement this week, but more frustration. Coaches seem to be less than helpful, based on what DD tells me. I worry that this is going to become mental block (if isn't already).

On the CB, we talk a lot about "letting the coaches coach" and just being the parent. But I am not sure if I should just stay silent. Should I talk to the coaches or stay out of this?

She really needs this skill, as she is supposed to move up to level 6 in a few months and this might be what stands in her way... :-(

Well, no real improvement this week, but more frustration. Coaches seem to be less than helpful, based on what DD tells me. I worry that this is going to become mental block (if isn't already).

On the CB, we talk a lot about "letting the coaches coach" and just being the parent. But I am not sure if I should just stay silent. Should I talk to the coaches or stay out of this?

She really needs this skill, as she is supposed to move up to level 6 in a few months and this might be what stands in her way... :-(

Would a private be possible? This might give both the coach and your DD a chance to slow down, back up, and focus on each other.

Would a private be possible? This might give both the coach and your DD a chance to slow down, back up, and focus on each other.

Our coaches don't really do privates. The really feel that the kids are in the gym enough. Even DD, who loves gymnastics and works hard, treasure her "downtime."

That being said, I guess I can ask the coaches if this would be an option. Thanks.

You should stay out of it because there's nothing to gain by doing anything but reassuring your child that she can do this. Her's two quick thoughts about the futility of chatting this up with the coaches........

They either know how to teach the skill, or don't. If they know how to teach the skill, they'll certainly do what they can for your dear daughter....... so talking to them isn't necessary. If they don't know how to teach the skill there's nothing gained by talking to them, and you run the risk of being *that* mom.

So how do you know which is most true........ do they, or don't they, know how to the skill. You can figure this out for yourself....... if more than a few kids with the same experience as your child are doing a decent bhs, it's reasonable to say the coaches are capable. The same may hold true if the entire group is struggling but are relatively young with little experience, and when the first couple of kids get te skill, the rest may follow.

There's potential for kids to feel this skill is beyond them because it is the first backward and upside down flight skill they encounter. The best way to avoid the block is to surround the kids with the positive expectation that they will learn the skill, that the skill is reasonably safe, and that they'll have it and keep it for the rest of their gym career. Really, it's a skill they've done thousand's of on the floor, on the floor line, and various versions of floor and padded beams, and there comes a time where resolve is more important than correction.

If you trust her coaches, tell her to do herself a favor and trust them as well.

You should stay out of it because there's nothing to gain by doing anything but reassuring your child that she can do this. Her's two quick thoughts about the futility of chatting this up with the coaches........

They either know how to teach the skill, or don't. If they know how to teach the skill, they'll certainly do what they can for your dear daughter....... so talking to them isn't necessary. If they don't know how to teach the skill there's nothing gained by talking to them, and you run the risk of being *that* mom.

So how do you know which is most true........ do they, or don't they, know how to the skill. You can figure this out for yourself....... if more than a few kids with the same experience as your child are doing a decent bhs, it's reasonable to say the coaches are capable. The same may hold true if the entire group is struggling but are relatively young with little experience, and when the first couple of kids get te skill, the rest may follow.

There's potential for kids to feel this skill is beyond them because it is the first backward and upside down flight skill they encounter. The best way to avoid the block is to surround the kids with the positive expectation that they will learn the skill, that the skill is reasonably safe, and that they'll have it and keep it for the rest of their gym career. Really, it's a skill they've done thousand's of on the floor, on the floor line, and various versions of floor and padded beams, and there comes a time where resolve is more important than correction.

If you trust her coaches, tell her to do herself a favor and trust them as well.

When you put it that way it reminds me that she will eventually get the skill. Our coaches have never had any issues teaching the skill, a couple of the girls in the group have it, many do not and there seems to be different issues each of the girls have. So, I guess patience is the key.

I will ask the coaches if she could have 20-30 minutes by herself so at least she doesnt have to feel like she is holding the others up.

Just wanted to follow-up. I spoke with one of the coaches the other night. She said that she doesn't need 20 minutes to herself to work on her BHS on beam. She shouldn't worry about holding the others up (and in fact several of them should not be over there using that beam, but that was another issue she needed to deal with) and there is plenty of time in practice to work on it.

She said that there are no real issues with DD's form or the way she is doing it. She simply needs to think about things a little different which the coaches are trying to get her to do, and DD seems more open to trying. She said it is literally in her mind that she can't get that one hand on, so that is what she makes happen. I find this strange, but I suppose it is like having the yips when putting in golf.

I have not spoken to DD about this skill since then as there isn't much for me to say. But I do think that DD had a positive reaction hearing coach tell her that it isn't anything physically she is doing wrong, all else looks good, and she will get it.

So, time will tell...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back