Coaches Blind Change vs. In Turn

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So...

Got a new one on me today.. I was asked to teach an "in turn" to which I said "a what?" After explanation, I said "Oh! A Blind Change!" to which I was told "no..."

So.. is there really a difference between the two? Valuation difference? Other than the technical, which seems to be the point of pivot (BC is pre handstand, In Turn appears post handstand).. is there a difference in teaching methodology? Apparent strenght to teaching one and not the other? Should only be one be adhered to throughout a gymnast's career? Or am I just over-reacting to a weird verbage disagreement?

Not sure what you mean? Like a late blind change (not good technique, deductions applicable) or a higgins? (which isn't the same turn as a blind, but either giant 1/2 is a C in the JO code)

Higgins is probably easier if the shoulder flex is there (can hang on in eagle). That's just my opinion. But if you want to do a full front giant or a jaeger out, then the blind change (finishing in HS) is probably better for most girls.

See.. you're having the same issue I did..

Basically, it was described as a handstand, reverse pirouette. Quite different than a blind change which happens in turn.

they're actually the same. but the 2nd is much more difficult. if you can't 'see' that they are the same, take a spoon and turn it towards yourself, 1st early or on the way up and near the top, and then 'in' a handstand.

you'll see that you will 'see' the same side of the spoon both ways as both are turning the same direction just at different angles.

it's usually referred to as an 'inward' blind. but some do call it a reverse piro. still all the same in the final skill.

they're actually the same. but the 2nd is much more difficult. if you can't 'see' that they are the same, take a spoon and turn it towards yourself, 1st early or on the way up and near the top, and then 'in' a handstand.

you'll see that you will 'see' the same side of the spoon both ways as both are turning the same direction just at different angles.

it's usually referred to as an 'inward' blind. but some do call it a reverse piro. still all the same in the final skill.

I get it :p It was, quite basically, a language barrier.. no biggie.. just making sure I wasn't going a bit on the insane side in my.. uhh.. age...

I've seen some girls do this just because they're afraid to turn before handstand (don't know why since it's a lot harder to catch until you're waiting to fall down) but I guess I assumed it would be a deduction for some reason. Do you have to finish within 10 degrees of handstand or something? I don't know what the benefits of teaching it would be. A higgins seems easier to me if they can hold on in that grip.

yes, there is a degree deduction. but as you know, sometimes just learning what you have to is the goal. deductions are limitless, yes? who cares really, but the judges. you know what you see every day and none of this stuff is degree flawless.

and again you are right. higgins is much easier than inward blind if they can just conform to the grip that is required.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back