Body type for future or current Elite Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most of the time you will see the powerhouse type gymnasts do great on vault and floor, but I've seen some exceptions. At our gym they set the vault table at 110 for all the level 5's and it's just a struggle for my barely over 3 foot mid 30 pounder. She's improving though. There's one other shorty who is about 4 inches taller with a completely different build and she struggles too, but she is a lot better than my dd.

disagree

Look at Shawn.

Now look at Nastia.

Now look at Alicia.

Still think body type is important?

Neither do I.

Those girls may not look the same, but they both fall into similar categories. They are small, lean, strong and flexible. Sure, Nastia may have to work harder at explosive power and Alicia might have less flexibility, but they are both small, lean, quick and powerful. You cannot be a big-boned (tall or heavy) person and be an elite gymnast. You just can't. Gymnasts' bodies certainly vary from athlete to athlete, but within the framework of what the sport will allow. In order to be a successful elite, you must have long enough arms to swing bars successfully, your feet must be proportionate in order to have clean lines. Sure, anyone can do gymnastics. But the question was about making it to the elite level. You must be genetically blessed in addition to all the hard work, mental fortitude, etc.

NGL - I think we have about the same child! My little dd is 39 inches and 34 pounds and will be 7 in late December - she looks so funny compared her peers. She can still wear some 3's and 4T's and she's going in 1st grade! Fortunately for us, she is doing level 4, so the vault table hasn't been an issue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back