Parents Bone density and elite gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jessikazaar

Proud Parent
My 6 year old has no fat on her but has what her coach said 'high bone density' which could work as a disadvantage for her because she has to be proportionally stronger.

Is it the be all and end all? Her coach didn't really say but my dd works so hard and if her body shape means she will never even have a chance of reaching the top then I will try and get other hobbies for her so she won't be so heartbroken if it doesn't work out. Thanks for reading [emoji846]

At six it hardly matters. There is SO much stuff between six years old and elite that none of it matters very much. If your kid has fun in gym then they should do gym. Body type will not stop her in the beginning and by the time she's upper level (if they stay that long) she'll have gotten massively stronger than you ever thought possible. There's no sorting hat for gymnastics.

I know where you are coming from, but don't about elite at 6. Think about whether she is happy doing what she is doing presently. Gymnastics is not just for those who will make it all the way. It is good for everyone. It helps to develop well rounded athletes, regardless of the sport they eventually choose. Middle school coaches love to get former gymnasts on their teams because of their strength and determination. If she is really determined, she will overcome what she needs to reach "her potential". That's all you can count on.

So, the high impact of gymnastics is well documented to increase bone density and at least according to health researchers this is seen as a good thing. Coaches may view it differently. I just googled bone density and gymnastics and lots of stuff came up I saw several articles that actually recommend gymnastics as a pre puberty activity for girls as a way to increase bone density to assist later in life. Also, is there really any way to tell someone's bone density by looking at them? Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about but I seriously doubt that you can. You can see their frame and general body shape, but the use of the term bone density seems an odd thing to point out. I would think maybe they are referring to her frame or shape rather than her bone density and just trying to be more sensitive, but I guess you never know. What do I know, really.

The point is this.

Good or bad, many many coaches and programs look at body shape, frame size, strength to size/weight ratio when choosing gymnasts for their team and certain body types may have easier or earlier success. Almost all programs have some sort of criteria they use when selecting JO team kids, some more strict than others and what those things are will vary program to program. It is also the harsh reality of this sport that not every kid is cut out for the most competitive tracks of this sport for many different reasons. With that said, there are all types and body shapes at all levels of gymnastics, including elite gymnastics. Being smaller and light and super strong for your size, makes gymnastics easier, but that doesn't mean it isn't accessible to those outside that pseudo ideal. Some of the best gymnasts on my dd's team are not of the tiny and light variety.

Different programs approach selecting team members differently. If one doesn't work, then look for another as the experience at different gyms is most certainly different is all kinds of different ways.

But, please don't put the pursuit of elite gymnastics as your bar as to whether it is worthwhile to do gymnastics or not. There are so few elite gymnasts and so so many wonderful things about gymnastics and what it teaches these kids at every different level.

If she enjoys gymnastics and wants to pursue it, then find a program that embraces her and wants her and let her enjoy it. If high level gymnastics is in her future, it will take care of itself, assuming she is in a program that can support that. And if a few years down the road, she doesn't want to do it any more she will have all the lessons and strength and body awareness and coachability that will make her excellent at whatever she wishes to pursue after that.

And at six, it isn't about looking that far down the road. At the point when there is a large group of six year olds in a group, you just have no idea which of these kids will be there when they get to level 8 9 or 10. Of the 20 kids my dd started with, three of them are still with her. You may be able to see the ones that could get there easily under the perfect circumstances, but in my years of experience, the ones you think are a shoe in often aren't and many more just surprise the pants off you. Take this time to pursue lots of her interests and allow her to love whatever it is she loves doing.

Good luck!

Just curious, in what context did the coach make this comment? I can't think of a good reason for telling the parent of a 6yo that ANYTHING about their body might hold them back. At 6yo, it's should be about having fun, while learning proper technique and shaping, and having fun! (yes, I said fun twice) There is nothing "fun" about being told something you can't change might hold you back at some unknown point in the future.

Love @thefellowsmom reply

At 6 gymnastics should be all about fun!
Both my gymnasts are elite track- but this is actually incidental as our motto has always been " have fun, work hard".

The moment fun is gone we will finish the season and transfer to other activities...in saying this it doesn't appear to be going to happen any time soon lol.
I believe that it actually enables our kids to ' succeed ' as we place absolutely no pressure on them ( my unsporty self is just gob smacked by any & all gym skills) :)

Love @thefellowsmom reply

At 6 gymnastics should be all about fun!
Both my gymnasts are elite track- but this is actually incidental as our motto has always been " have fun, work hard".

The moment fun is gone we will finish the season and transfer to other activities...in saying this it doesn't appear to be going to happen any time soon lol.
I believe that it actually enables our kids to ' succeed ' as we place absolutely no pressure on them ( my unsporty self is just gob smacked by any & all gym skills) :)

This is so funny. Every day since my dd was three years old before practice she has gotten a hug , a kiss, and I say "have fun, work hard" and off she goes. :)

Her coaches are amazing! I pay hundreds every five years for my bone density tests, and here they can tell just by looking!! Perhaps next time I can just pay them a visit!

I am assuming they meant to say bone structure. And to that I still say they're nuts! There are all shapes in this sport... Look at Nastia vs Shawn at the elite level, etc.

In fact, my son is fairly wide for a gymmie... While there no consideration of elite potential for him (cause, LOL!), he's doing pretty well! And one of the best up-and-comers at DD's gym (she's seriously amazing) isn't your stereotypical super-fine boned narrow kid, either. I mean, she's clearly in shape and super muscular, but teeny tiny she isn't!

And for your DD, the strength will come, I promise!

Yep, my kid is 10. In gym since, well forever.

Its, Have fun, do your best. Love you.

Sorry there is no one who can predict which 6 yr olds will be top of the sport at 16-22

I took high bone density as big boned and would wonder if this coach has ideal body types he/she likes. High bone density wouldn't be a bad thing. I would look at upper level team and see if many are teeny tiny. If so, might be that they only pick tiny kids for team.

I still ask my 13 year old L8 (likely going 9 this year) "did you have fun?" after almost every practice. It should be fun, especially at 6!

I would think that the coach is using it as a euphemism for body type. You cannot tell bone density by looking at someone. Elite is cut throat, but great gymnastics doesn't have to mean elite. Are you at an HPC ? You may want to look at some of the UK threads about the system.

It came up because my DD has been part of a competition assessment team. I think perhaps bone density was the wrong phrase but what she means is big boned. My dd is very strong and muscular but is definitely not skinny or light. So I assume she was implying that it may at some point be a limitation for her. They are making decisions as to whether to put her onto the elite pathway and it came up as a concern. I am not overly worried - my Dd's whole world is gymnastics and all she wants to do is represent gb one day. So I just wanted to check if her body shape meant that it can never happen [emoji4]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back