MAG Boys training in a small town

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi all! I just joined this forum, to try to find some answers for my son.

My son just turned six years old. He has been taking gymnastics for three years. He honestly loves it and begs to go more.

The problem lies in the fact that we live in a city where there isn't a boys program for gymnastics. There are bunches of boys tumbling programs, but he does not seem to enjoy tumbling as much.

We loved the instruction of the gym we were at, but there were no immediate plans to do anything with the boys program. There was a once a week boys artistic class, with work on the pommel horse, p bars, and some floor work. They did not have all of the events for boys, but he seemed to be challenged.

This week, we tried a brand new gym that claimed they would be starting a boys program soon. He was put into a boys 5-7 age group class. They did work quite a bit on the high bar and p bars, but did not even have a pommel horse, mushroom, or rings.

My son has repeatedly said that he would like to be on a gymnastics team. I am unsure of how to get him there at this point.

What sorts of skills do boys need for pre team? And how in the world is a parent with no gymnastics background supposed to find a gym, and be an advocate for her son?

Thanks for listening!

You may find gyms in big towns near you that have a boys program. It may come down to a decision on how far away you are willing to drive. Our gym is 1/2 hr. away from us. I know there are families on the CB who drive twice that. All depends on your flexibility and what your family is comfortable with. Good luck.

One option is to talk to the gym you are at now and try to get a feel for when they plan to get the team up and running. Most states also have a website for their men's gymnastics, and you can go there to try to find the closest men's program to you. We also drive about 20-30 minutes to gym for our son, and we have some gymnasts that drive further. Just depends on waht you want to do!

I would ask your current gym for a timeframe of when they will be starting a boys team and more importantly getting the proper equipment. Getting those answers will probably help you decide whether to stick it out and wait or look for something else. Even if you decide to stay I would recommend going to another gym to do a trial class so you can see what an established boys team looks like so you can know if your current gym is really doing it correctly once they get the equipment and start a program. It takes 1 hr to get to our gym but it is so worth it when you know your child is in the correct place to help them reach their potential and good coaching. Good luck with you decision. I know it was a huge decision for us to drive so far but we have no regrets and only wished we changed sooner.

I was also going to ask how far you are fromma gym with an established boys program-we live in a big town and we still drive 30 minutes to our gym because boys programs in our area are few and far between-there are two gyms with boys competitive programs around, butthey are each about 30 minutes away (in opposite directions.) In each direction, we drive by at least 3-4 gyms that have boys rec classes but no boys team. For us, the drive to a serious gym with team prospects was important enough that the drive was worth it even before we knew if ds would be interested in team. Now, we are lucky to live in an area where we don't have to drive an hour for a gym with a boys program because that would have meant making some harder decisions-I am not going to drive an hour each way for preschool or rec gymnastics but might for team depending on how much my son wanted to pursue it-I would definitely have to plan errands around that trip though, because there wouldn't be any driving back to home while he was training.

How far are you prepared to drive?

I drove a 90 minute round trip for gym for 10 years for my two girls on team who trained different days. SO sometimes 10 90 minute trips a week. Now I drive a two hour round trip twice a week for cheer. Small towns are a big challenge.

How far are you prepared to drive?

I drove a 90 minute round trip for gym for 10 years for my two girls on team who trained different days. SO sometimes 10 90 minute trips a week. Now I drive a two hour round trip twice a week for cheer. Small towns are a big challenge.

wow, Bog. what's gas costing up there these days?

whew at the gas bill being higher than the mortgage. we're at US$4.50 per gallon. if i figured it right off the top of my head, your is approx US$4.00 per gallon?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back