Parents Boys

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
My dd is 15, and has never had time for boys and crushes and all that the dating world entails, since she has gym 6 days a week. She liked gym more than boys anyway. Then we switched to a gym with a large MAG team. Suddenly, there is a boy at the gym who has caught her eye, and she gets to see him 6 days a week. He seems to have caught notice of her, too.

I know crushes and puppy love are normal and a fun part of growing up. But I hope this doesn't lead to drama or broken hearts. Entering new phase of parenting here.

Let me just say ouch. Followed by saying maybe have a talk with her about how hard it will be should they get close then have it not work out. Give her the facts, not much else you can do.

My DD (16) went through that exact scenario- it wasn’t the first time she’d been on a team with boys around, but it was the first time someone caught her eye. At her age I allowed it to play out. It took about a month for her to decide that boyfriend type relationships are too much time and effort and she wants gym to be just about gymnastics and friends. They both went back to normal with no drama. My DD is a no-drama girl in general, but it’s certainly possible!

Honestly I have no idea. I saw the picture online and saved it ages ago because it was just so cute. My dd loves dogs but has a terrible allergy, so we text each other cut puppy pictures instead of having cute puppies. I changed it to my avatar when dd was having so much drama with the last gym, because I wanted something about gymnastics to make me smile.

Male gymnasts are not a bad choice as boyfriends for girls. They've chosen to put a lot of time and energy into a sport where the girls are the popular stars, and most of them have a great deal of healthy respect for girls' strength and work ethic. They'll also be understanding of the time spent in the gym and the ups and downs of competition season. The relationships I've seen in my kids' gym have all seemed good and best of all, everyone seems to have handled it pretty well when they ended.

My DD didn't even know boys really did gymnastics until she saw some at the same meet she was competing at this year. They definitely caught her eye! She used to say she didn't have time for boys. Now she says she'll only have time for a boy if he's a gymnast. LOL!!!

I used to joke that I wanted my kid to stay in gymnastics throughout high school so she would spend all her free time in the gym where there are no boys. Then the gym started a boys' team. Sigh.

One of my kid's 11-year-old teammates had a crush on one of the boys at the gym this season. So you are probably lucky yours waited until she was 15. I would agree with others that the fact he's a gymnast is a good sign--at least you know he's goal-oriented, and he will understand why she's always busy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back