Parents Brag alert--Not what you think!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Glad your DD had a great attitude about it! As far as I know, my DD hasn't split the beam yet, though she is still on the floor beam with her cartwheel attempts, I believe. I don't think she will be very thrilled, though! Regardless of the "you're a real gymnast now" moment... It was total drama and tears over her first rip. :)
One thing DD hasn't gotten yet is a rip, she didn't use grips her whole first year of competition and just started using them this summer.

One thing DD hasn't gotten yet is a rip, she didn't use grips her whole first year of competition and just started using them this summer.

Yeah, my DD just started using grips about a month ago. Her first season she didn't, as well. One day when she was working really hard on her back hip circles.. She got a rip. She got her back hip circle that night and then did like 15 more and ripped. Kinda bittersweet! Ever since then, she's been timid on circling skills. She feels more confident with her grips and goes for things more now.

It is my 6 year old's mission in life to have a real rip. She is very jealous of her older sister's calloused hands. After every class I have to inspect her hands for rips.....

Why do gymnasts seem so pleased with themselves when they leave a hunk of flesh behind them on the equipment?
It's a badge of honor in many sports, usually because you get torn up when you're really going for it, not when you're holding back and being timid.

(Actually, many of the sports that involve contact can wind up with you getting more hurt if you're timid because the other person went hard and you didn't.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back