Brag! My 5 year old got her layout step-out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First time no spot![video=youtube;qnwAxjTG_Jo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnwAxjTG_Jo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
She's adorable! I didn't think it was safe for little ones to be doing skills like that, but I see in your user name you are a coach so I guess you know what you are doing.

bad idea....the degradation begins once ballistic elements are introduced to a hard surface. this includes those forces that reverberate back in to the body from the spring floor.

and if you're a coach, you know that is not a lay out step out. or you should know. it's a 2 foot landing. landing 1 foot at her age would be catastrophic if a mistake were made.

i don't consider how cute it is. i'm speechless now...

b
and if you're a coach, you know that is not a lay out step out. or you should know. it's a 2 foot landing. landing 1 foot at her age would be catastrophic if a mistake were made.

i don't consider how cute it is. i'm speechless now...

Thank you Dunno...I kept replaying the video above saying to myself "where is the layout step out?" ...and then I read further and saw your post! Mystery solved!

bad idea....the degradation begins once ballistic elements are introduced to a hard surface. this includes those forces that reverberate back in to the body from the spring floor.

Yes but in order to have her double twist* by age seven children should be doing these skills before they hit age six. Gymnastics is not about long term development it is more important to be able to do as many tricks as soon as possible!

*1 1/4 plus 3/4 on the mat (do you remember that one?)

She seems like a fearless gymnast!

Just curious - Would this be considered a layout (regardless of the step-out)? She drops right where she flips. I thought in layouts, you had to travel beyond the the initial point of the flip. To me - it looks more like an open back tuck. not trying to offend - just trying to learn.

She seems like a fearless gymnast!

Just curious - Would this be considered a layout (regardless of the step-out)? She drops right where she flips. I thought in layouts, you had to travel beyond the the initial point of the flip. To me - it looks more like an open back tuck. not trying to offend - just trying to learn.

This is more what I would call a "backyard trampoline flippy, head whippy, thing". ;) No. It is not correct layout technique.

What she said /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ and everyone else.

Fearless kids can hoy themselves over in all manner of ways.

But as a gymnastics coach or mother why would you want them to?

Appreciate your concern for her safety. And I do understand that it is not technically perfect, and has a way to go before it is identifiable as a step-out. This was just her first time trying it on the floor. She started them on the tumble trak a couple weeks ago after watching ops on beam. Cam is a talented tumbler, and extremely strong and well-conditioned. I, or any other coach around her, would never allow her to try anything that we felt was unsafe.

Her time in the gym is spent perfecting basics- her RO (from hurdle to rebound) is much better than the one in the video and her back handsprings are gorgeous. We work nothing but shaping and body position with her on much simpler skills. She has had a layout on floor since the summer and asked at the end of practice to try the step-out. It was kind of a fluke thing.

Obviously as both a parent and a coach, we would like to see her in the sport for the long haul. And yes, since she is 5, it'll be a looooooong haul. Safety and preservation is of utmost concern to all her coaches.

Thank you for posting! I always appreciate your posts, Dunno!

---

Yes but in order to have her double twist* by age seven children should be doing these skills before they hit age six. Gymnastics is not about long term development it is more important to be able to do as many tricks as soon as possible!

*1 1/4 plus 3/4 on the mat (do you remember that one?)

And this is just rude. I definitely don't appreciate your sarcasm. As I said in the previous post, Cameron works all Level 4, some 5 skills. She will be 6 in January. We are not looking to create a sloppy, choppy gymnast that can just throw ugly big skills. Our focus is primarily on solid technique. She might work these with her coach on the side a few spare minutes a week after now, in order to ensure that she does the skill technically correct, but her training is not focused on "chucking" skills.

Hi Coachandmom, okay on your above post. you want to avoid "step outs" from a running round off or from a round off flip flop until about age 8.

step outs should be 1st learned from a stand coming from a round off or flip flop step out. from a stand...no run in front of it. and standing layouts should be repetitiously performed on that tumbl trak or a 4 inch mat on a resi. step outs from a running anything at your daughter's age could cause an ankle or foot injury that would compromise her long term. when the ankle becomes injured in this scenario the knee also becomes exposed. there are reported ACL ruptures in 6 and 7 year old children doing precisely what you have shown. these repairs can not be made until they are near finished growing. that's a long time.

and don't be so hard on Pineapple Lump. She's a coach and was being tongue in cheek [facetious, but not intended to be inappropriate] based on a previous video that was posted where yours comes nowhere close to that one.:)

And this is just rude. I definitely don't appreciate your sarcasm. As I said in the previous post, Cameron works all Level 4, some 5 skills. She will be 6 in January. We are not looking to create a sloppy, choppy gymnast that can just throw ugly big skills. Our focus is primarily on solid technique. She might work these with her coach on the side a few spare minutes a week after now, in order to ensure that she does the skill technically correct, but her training is not focused on "chucking" skills.

Idk. This just rubs me the wrong way and while I should be quiet, I can't. Bog, delete if you feel necessary...

Your title said 5yr old got layout stepout. Well she is 1 month from being 6 and she's not doing a layout or stepout (at least from what others have said). Seems to me you put the video up for shock value and then got defensive when others called you on it. It would be one thing for an inexperienced parent to put up a video, brag about such a big skill and unknowingly misrepresent the skill. It's another issue altogether to have this video put up by a coach on a forum where parents of young gymnasts might think this is totally ok and may even encourage it in open gym or at home.

I am not doubting the talent of your little girl and you should be proud of her accomplishments. I just question the wisdom behind a coach posting this type of video on a gymnastics forum, "bragging" about incorrectly performed skills.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Since this is a public forum, we have to take the stuff we are happy to hear as well as the stuff that makes us cringe. I am sorry this rubs you the wrong way. I am happy that you expressed your feelings though. I do not feel like I am being defensive, excpet that I did take a bit of offense to Pineapple's comments as I am not pushing my kid to overload and quit at 8.

So I have a question... if my daughter had just gotten her first round-off BH and I posted it proudly would it be under attack? If she was doing basically a flop onto her head with bent arms and cowboying it the whole way, as so many people post, would it bother you? I did not say she mastered the skill. I did not intend to falsely advertise a layout step-out by a 5 year old. Until 1/21 she will be five. And she had already done three when I had a chance to video. You can see from her run and hurdle she was getting tired, as this was at the end of a three hour practice.

I appreciate this forum for what it is. An amazing place for all in the sport to connect. I love it. And I will take my licks as far as being a braggart, because I totally was/am. I understand your point. Really. But the kid is 5, trying out a new skill. I was very excited for her. She has mastered this on tuumble trak from a standing position,and from a BH-SO entry (thank you Dunno, by the way--I have not heard about younger gymmies rupturing their ACL's tumbling in. I will definitely curtail and I appreciate the info.).

This weekend at an upper level state meet, she showed it to several coaches from the top gyms in our state and they were FLOORED. She showed a few of her skills - her FH, her leap pass, and her RO-BH's and RO-BH-BT. It is shocking to see someone so tiny tumble with such power. I really did not intend for this to start any drama, but I am glad to get the feedback. Again Dunno, thank you, and I will rethink before I post any vids in the future. Or at least wait until the skill has been perfected.
Thanks!

[

QUOTE=gymgal;182469]Idk. This just rubs me the wrong way and while I should be quiet, I can't. Bog, delete if you feel necessary...

Your title said 5yr old got layout stepout. Well she is 1 month from being 6 and she's not doing a layout or stepout (at least from what others have said). Seems to me you put the video up for shock value and then got defensive when others called you on it. It would be one thing for an inexperienced parent to put up a video, brag about such a big skill and unknowingly misrepresent the skill. It's another issue altogether to have this video put up by a coach on a forum where parents of young gymnasts might think this is totally ok and may even encourage it in open gym or at home.

I am not doubting the talent of your little girl and you should be proud of her accomplishments. I just question the wisdom behind a coach posting this type of video on a gymnastics forum, "bragging" about incorrectly performed skills.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

ok, I have to pipe in here. No one is attacking you because your DD is amazing. Indeed, she is exceptionally talented. I think there is a general concern over having a 5 year old doing these skills. While you may not be "pushing" her to burn out by the time she's 8, no reputable coaching staff would have a 5 year old doing this kind of tumbling, period. Why the rush? If she is that talented, she will have plenty of time to let her little body grow and get stronger so that she can handle all that great tumbling at the appropriate age. Both you, as a coach, and her own coaches, if they have a clue, should know that :) Just MHO!!!!

I shall have to ask DD's HC if she got to see her tumble. we were there for L5/6 State Meet this weekend. What session

I agree with everyone else... she is powerful and she's darned cute... BUT why is a 5 year old practicing for three hours at a time? This sport is so hard on their little bodies and all of these high impact tumbling skills at such a young, vulnerable age are sure to wear her down. Maybe I'm so sensitive to this now because in the past year, quite a few of my own DD's friends have had to give up the sport due to back stress fractures (2 of them), repetitive ankle injuries, one requiring surgery (2 others); and one girl gave it up because she was "tired of hurting all the time." Oh yeah, throw my own DD in there as well... she's now just doing high school gym. Anyway, she's clearly talented, and that's not going to go away.. she's so young.

So I have a question... if my daughter had just gotten her first round-off BH and I posted it proudly would it be under attack? If she was doing basically a flop onto her head with bent arms and cowboying it the whole way, as so many people post, would it bother you? I did not say she mastered the skill. I did not intend to falsely advertise a layout step-out by a 5 year old. Until 1/21 she will be five. And she had already done three when I had a chance to video. You can see from her run and hurdle she was getting tired, as this was at the end of a three hour practice.
[/QUOTE]

Personally? Yes, I would cringe if it were a coach posting the video - which is essentially a statement that it is condoned in their gym. If it's a parent - I would cringe because I know how unsafe it is and I would be thinking "OMG the coach actually allows her to do that?!" But the parent doesn't usually know any better. They don't realize the danger. They are just excited about the skill being checked off the list (BTDT, thankfully not with anything dangerous).

Look, you are a mom and were excited for your little girl! that's what moms and dads do! And a simple post without a video probably would have gone through without any problems, with lots of congrats! But on this forum, parents tend to hold "coach" members to a higher standard - trusting their information more. Using a more realistic title of "working on her layout" and a brief description in the post of what she has been doing would have been more appropriate and helpful to future parents using this forum for information.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back