WAG Buckeye Classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Fliptwisttumble

Anyone been, or possibly going? This is our travel meet this year.

Any suggested other activities in Columbus? During February?

Thx.

Ha! Lately in Columbus, it seems that we freeze and shiver our way throughout without any fun snow to show for it! You might find some icicles but snowballs have been few and far between the past few winters. (And now I've probably jinxed us to a month-long blizzard...lol)

Can't help with the meet info though....it's our first year competing, so even though I'm local I don't know much about it! We will be there though. :)

Being from Ontario, Canada, I'm used to cold and snow, snowballs, thrown by DH and DD, and even icicles (as long as they aren't forming on me :)

You could always go visit COSI. It is less than 4 miles from the meet venue. It's great, especially if you or your gymmie like science... and it is open weekends :)

Also, you will be close to the Ohio State University. Maybe they will have a home hockey match or basketball game or gymnastics meet or something.

There will be a lot of choices since Columbus has just about everything - concerts, theater, sports, etc.

Good luck.

You could always go visit COSI. It is less than 4 miles from the meet venue. It's great, especially if you or your gymmie like science... and it is open weekends :)

Also, you will be close to the Ohio State University. Maybe they will have a home hockey match or basketball game or gymnastics meet or something.

There will be a lot of choices since Columbus has just about everything - concerts, theater, sports, etc.

Good luck.

uh oh, you better fix that...it's THE Ohio State University...:) you don't want someone sending you buckeyes for Thanksgiving.

uh oh, you better fix that...it's THE Ohio State University...:) you don't want someone sending you buckeyes for Thanksgiving.
I meant to capitalize it, lol. I am a proud graduate of The Ohio State University (twice even). And if anyone wants to send me buckeyes, I can make more necklaces ;).

If you like hockey, you could catch a Blue Jackets game - the arena is awesome (even if the hockey played there often is NOT!) Lots of good restaurants in the arena district too.
I was going to suggest the Blue Jackets... but I was afraid of offending people who actually LIKE hockey by suggesting that that's what the Blue Jackets play. :rolleyes:

This is our travel meet this year, too! We are going back after skipping last year.

Our girls LOVE the march in on Sat night, they turn out the lights, then everyone marches in with costumes. There is a costume/spirit costume.
There was a band when we went 2 years ago, which the kids loved.

I have to admit, between team breakfasts, dinners, Sat eve march in, going to other sessions to cheer on team mates, and competing, we did absolutely nothing touristy. But it was a great experience.

There is an American Girl store there now! We have been to the meet a few times and you have to sit rather far away (up and back aways from the floor) but you make it work. I like that meet.

Yes, I agree that there won't be tons of time for extra curricular.... But COSI will totally fit the bill for this family. I needed one non-gym thing for DH ;).... three days of straight m is likely too much for him.

I am glad to hear others like the meet as well.... It'll be a potentially crappy 7 hour drive, but the promo video I saw looked really good. Our HC said the Sat night march is in fun, and it will be nice for my daughter to see the Nastia Liukin qualifier also.

Being close to Columbus we did Buckeye every year and I would rate it as one of the better meets we did. Nice venue, well organized and nice awards. As for Columbus in winter - well that's another story but there are good restaurants and hotels here and Easton and City Center are good malls as well as the sports already mentioned above. By the way, I too am an OSU grad - Go Bucks!

We competed at Buckeye every year. It was one of our team traditions, and being from Pittsburgh, it wasn't a far drive. I think it's has some high caliber gymnastics competition and the march in and balloon drop is always fun.

I am partial to the meet as the Buckeye Classic is hosted by my DD's gym but this is a great meet to attend. There are a number of things to do in Columbus: shopping at Easton Town Center, Polaris Mall or Tuttle Crossing Mall; lots of great restaurants that suit any taste; tourist stuff at COSI or the Columbus Zoo; and the Americheer Winter Open Nationals are at the Columbus Convention Center on Saturday Feb. 15th if you want to see something similar to gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back