MAG Camera for recording meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I went to two camera shops last week and was told by both to go with a DSLR body and buy a 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto zoom lens. No, it is not inexpensive. I'm also curious if this is the way I have to go. I don't know anything about cameras and was hoping for a $400 camcorder, but I was told that wouldn't work without very grainy video. Any input would be greatly appreciated before I decide to drop a bunch of cash. Thx.

I am not sure your intent for the photos, or how professional exactly you want them, but I thought I would share on the chance you are just looking for normal parent shots of meets to share with family and friends. I can't afford a proper camera for this application either, but I do have a canon sx40 that I bought for a cross country trip. I think it serves the purpose just fine, and the sports setting captures gym well. There is also the ability for manual settings, if you know your way around a camera. I have included a few shots here taken in two different gyms in normal gym lighting, some from farther away than I have been as a spectator. I am not a trained photographer and these aren't my best shots, but I wanted ones that didn't show other kids or my kids faces. Trampolining is especially hard to capture because it all just happens so darn fast! Anyway, it should give you an idea of what a mid level camera can do.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1442853288.114208.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1442853302.202104.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1442853316.375963.jpg

The problem is that if you are doing a video at a competition, chances are that you will need to zoom in from a reasonable distance. Thats why they recommended you use a 70-200mm 2.8. F/2.8 means that it can take in quite a lot of light, even while zoomed in. Most lenses will get darker and darker the more you zoom in because of the aperture. That means they crank up the ISO to handle the low light, and a high ISO normally gives you that terrible grainy image. It does depend on the quality of your camera, but typically when you use an ISO higher than 1600 or 2000, it get bad real fast.

That said, we are talking about video, not photography, so your shutter speeds don't need to be very high, unless you are planning to slow down your video.

I'd say most modern camcorders should do the trick if you just want some record of the event. Good equipment does cost money though. Just make sure you buy something with a good optical zoom. Digital zoom is typically pretty useless. You will want to use a tripod as well.

Best bet though is to find a friend who knows a few things about cameras and take them along to help you.

Thanks for the reply, Art. I did end up going with the 70-200mm 2.8. F/2.8. I went with the Sigma lens because I was able to get the lens with the stabilizer for the price of the Canon lens without the stabilizer. I am hoping the stabilizer will keep me from needing a monopod. I think I'll try it out at a high school football game this weekend.

Thanks for the reply, Art. I did end up going with the 70-200mm 2.8. F/2.8. I went with the Sigma lens because I was able to get the lens with the stabilizer for the price of the Canon lens without the stabilizer. I am hoping the stabilizer will keep me from needing a monopod. I think I'll try it out at a high school football game this weekend.
Your going to need a tripod to get any decent video at that focal length even a monopod won't work.

The more zoomed in you are the more stable you have to have your camera for a good shot.

Besides with a dslr free hand video is an absolute no no.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back