Camp Woodward questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, my daughter and I are headed to Camp Woodward in PA in a couple of weeks and I had some questions. My daughter is only 9 and has food allergies, so I am going to be a cabin mom. I am excited about it, but holy moley, I don't think I am going to get much sleep. Has anyone else done the cabin mom thing? It looks exhausting! I am worried to say the least.

Being with they younger girls, the stuff they sent me made it sound like I have to be with my group all day long. But I don't see how that would work because they will be headed in different directions themselves, if that makes sense. Also, we have never been to an overnight camp before so any tips on what to bring? Also, we are going unaffiliated from a gym because we just switched gyms. Is this going to have an impact on any of the training or classes my daughter takes? I'm not sure if anyone can answer my questions but I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks!
Jennifer

I've never been a camp mom, but my DD went to Woodward last year when she was 9. She absolutely loved it there. It seemed like the girls were pretty busy in the morning with classes, but her cabin mom organized the girls for trips to the pool, crafts, etc. in the afternoon. There was a mix of both cheer and gymnastics girls in the cabin. Team affiliation should have absolutely no impact.

Her camp mom emailed us pictures of the girls which I really appreciated. Good luck - it seems exhausting but a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Bring your fly swatter!!

My daughter and I went to Woodward (PA) for several years for 2-3 weeks a summer and we really loved it...I was the nurse and she was old enough to stay in the cabin by herself. She also has a peanut allergy so i would bring a sign that I hung on the front of the cabin informing everyone of this...she was usually with her team but there were always kids from other gyms who were generally cooperative. We used to split up the weeks we went and that seemed to work better for us that going all at once.

The cabin moms I knew were always busy but the little kids have to be in bed by 9:30 or 10 so you are not up all night...I know the cabin moms used to bring decorations for the cabins (one year i remember one cabin having a jungle theme) , markers,stickers, stampers and construction paper or colored index cards to make name tags for the kids' bunks, push pins, little candy treats for the girls and the cabin inspectors (your cabin will be inspected every morning); Windex, paper towels (there are never enough of these) ; a Softsoap dispenser for the cabin; and a can of Febreeze air freshener. I also liked to throw one of those Ty-Dee bowl blue things in the toilet tank, a package or 2 of the wooden spring type clothespins for hanging all the towels on the clothesline behind the cabin...the clothespins make sure the stuff stays on the line. I also brought a little fan and a power strip..the cabins are air conditioned so it's up to you...I think the power strip would help because all the girls are going to want to charge their phones/IPODS etc and I don't think there are a ton of plugs.

For myself, I always made sure that I had a fly swatter (sounds gross but you'll thank me later) , 2 bath mats ( one for inside the shower and one to step out on to...you can buy them cheap at the Dollar Store and just leave them there or throw away). The food is decent enough for camp food but I always brought my own soda and snacks and a cheap box of disposable utensils (forks/spoons/knives). Also make sure your daughter brings a T shirt for tye dying...we used one of the many white meet shirts or Woodward shirts rather than buying one there. Make sure you bring THIN towels because the thick beach towel looks nice, but it never dries.

Her workouts won't be affected by not being with a team..sometimes I liked it better when we were there without the team..the coaches weren't always watching you like a hawk. And bring warm clothes...we've been there when it's been 100 degrees and we've also been there when it rained for a solid week and was 60 degrees ..so I usually keep a separate bag of warm clothes in the car...if I needed it for myself or my daughter, I went and got it, if not, I just unpacked it when i got home.:)

Last edited:
Yeah I went to Woodward (ca) last year and bookworm got everything right!! From the sign on the door to decorations! One girl at are gym went last year at the age of 7 and had a blast!! She was in the mini cabins and was in a different skill level, we barely saw her but she didn't want to leave. When we walked her into the mini cabin we were immedately greeted by the mom, and she felt confortable right away.

Bookworm was right about the signs and decorations, because they love that! Also they have to be back to the cabins by 9 and in bed by 10. They way cabin arrangements work is the try to put all the gymnasts/cheerleaders in one cabin and then like skating and bmx in a different cabin. Make sure when you get there if you do have a skater make them feel welcome in the room of gymnast, and tell the girls not to leave her out!! And don't steryotype them, we had a skater in are cabin everyone thought we would hate her,NO were we wrong!!! She was awsome. So, everyone shouldn't be going in a diffferent direction. Camp is soo big the most of the time they want to stay with you, because there is just way much to do and they het over welmed. So plan trips to the arts and crafts, pool, and whatever other things they have. I don't think she will be inpacted by no teammates. She will probably be in the same gym group as the girls in her cabin. So if she likes those girls eveything will be good!!

My dd's are both nine (twins) and this will be their first year at Woodward PA. They are so excited to go. I thought about being a camp mom so I am anxious to hear about your experience. I have heard allot of positives from other girls at our club who have gone numerous times over the past few years so I am hoping my dd's have a great time. Good luck and have fun. I am worried about what to take and not to take, any other packing suggestions from those who have been would be really helpful.

Thanks everyone. I am so glad I asked because I had no idea about needing to decorate. You gave me wonderful tips and if anyone has anything to add I would love to hear it. I want to make this a positive experience for the girls and have fun too. I am glad it won't matter that we are unaffiliated. We thought about having Emma switch and go to the camp that the new gym goes to, but she really wanted me to go to and if she switched then I couldn't go so we opted to stay and go by ourselves. I am anxious for it all to work out well. Thanks everyone.

Jennifer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back