WAG can backbend cause injury?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twistingmia

On my team there is a girl who couldn't really train for the last 2 months. She is constantly rubbing her back and she says she injured it a year ago. I don't know what it is exactly, but she said it happend from bending over repetetively. This girl is really sad, because she says she can do nothing without pain.

I am pretty scared now this might happen to me too. I already had some injuries that kept me out of training for weeks, and this is really nasty. As I am already 17, I do not want to be careless with my body, because I want that tumbling/sports will always be part of my life, at least for the next years!

I often do backbends as I am really flexible in general. I can do a front limber easily, and I have just learned a backbend rollover. It is no problem if I am warmed up properly.

So I actually wanted to improve my back flexibility in the future. I wanted to perfect the backbend rollover and practice on needles and arched handstands/elbow stands.

But if this puts me on a big risk for injury, I will just strecht my shoulders and don't stretch the back anymore, or just a little bit.
I know that back walkovers can be bad for you, but what about static stretching like backbends? Are they also bad?

I hope somebody has some advice!

how old are you? backbends can be done "static" but they must be done correctly. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back