WAG Can she be serious?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
My dd will be 7 in a couple of months from now. During one of her practice coach said that she is gaining a little weight and she can see it in my dds belly. She has had bigger belly than other kids even before she started gymnastics. She is short and stocky and very muscular. She eats like any other kids her age. She weights about 48lbs and about 48 inches tall. Her coach told me and her that she needed to eat healthier because she cannot make her a good enough gymnast if her body continues on how it is right now. My dd is not fat at all. She just has the belly and has wide ribs. :( not sure what to think about this.

To add, my dd doesn't really eat that much. I control her portions, but she eats anything she wants. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.

Um, holy cow! That was completely out of line for the coach to say that, singled out, to your dd. One of my dd is the heaviest at her gym and her coaches would never suggest a diet or anything of the sort. I would be MAD.

I would schedule a meeting with the head coach and explain that this talk would not happen again EVER! Her physician says she is fine. It is not up to the coach to say if she is a "good enough" gymnast. The coach does not know what your dd eats and unless she a registered dietitian she does not get to give that opinion.

I would be livid...they are self-conscious enough. Certainly don't need a coach to tell them these kinds of things. Those are kinds of words that can stick with them forever, especially from a figure like a coach.

Like other posters have said, I would either schedule a meeting with the head coach or consider moving gyms. That is not acceptable in my book.

I hope your DD didn't hear the coach say that?? :mad::eek:

The way that you describe the coach said this sounds very inappropriate. I can understand if a coach does see noticeable / ongoing weight (fat) gain in a gymnast, that there might be real concern about being able to keep up the required strength to safely execute moves. And if a gymnast was indeed falling behind, a sensitive discussion privately with the parent only could be OK to gauge if there were any medical reasons or other concerns regarding the weight gain. But to 'accuse' a parent of bad nutrition based on a (as described) small kid belly that is very normal for 6-7 year olds, and to predict limited performance to boot, is out of line, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if you yourself are not sure about the proper nutrition for your child athlete (since you mentioned 'you don't know if her current diet is a good or bad thing'), then by all means seek nutritional advice. Not all children have the same exact needs, and athletes have special needs. I'm guessing you're not letting her eat donuts, french fries and cheetos every day. But whatever her diet, if you're concerned it's not optimal for her, then seek advice. For example, I have increased the protein and good fats for my 2 gymmies as their hours have gone up, and added an extra snack time.

You should definitely do as others have said and bring this up with the HC or owner. That coach should not be disparaging little girls for their physique.

Best,
s

She eats whatever food I cook. And yes she does snack but I do watch over her portions. I'm not feeding her donuts or ice cream every single
Day. She eats what we as a family eats. With occasional treat.

Is the head coach also the owner? If the owner is different schedule an appointment with the owner. At the very least I would schedule a meeting with this coach and explain that your dd is healthy and you will not tolerate any additional comments about her body. My nephew was in 3rd grade when his school teacher decided to make a chart with all of the kids weights and hang it up in the classroom. At the time he was a little heavier than he had been before ( family move, not finding new group sports yet). My sister had a meeting with the teacher and the chart was pulled. It is simply unacceptable for anyone to talk about a child's body unless they are a physician.

I would be livid! I would schedule a meeting immediatly and address the issue head on. Especially if your DD heard this comment from the coach.

Now with that said, our coach would NEVER address how much a child weighs. But there is a considerable amount of literature available in the gym on healthy snacks, staying hydrated, etc.

My DD had two coaches basically say the same thing about her. One was the owner of the gym and the other was the coach for her level. Her coach even wrote out a list of acceptable foods for her to eat. She was eight. I didn't know any better and thought that was a normal part of gymnastics coaching at the time. I obviously didn't have ChalkBucket to turn to. The owner went so far as to say that my daughter would never progress past level five and would never even make a good level five. I told the coach that I thought her body would completely change when she hit puberty and I was correct. Luckily we left that gym and My DD went on to be a level 5 and 6 State champion and is now competing level 8. Don't let someone else limit your daughters options or affect her self-esteem.

When she said this, she said it in front of me and my dd with 2 other
Coaches and some girls practicing. My dd and I didn't take it personally at that time as coach said it nicely. Dd listened to her very carefully because she looks up to this coach more than anyone. I wasn't bothered about it then until I got
Home and had the time to think about it. I don't want my dd to have any self issues at all and I try very hard to complement everything she has and does. I'm not a very fit person nor does my husband but our 4 kids are all fit and active.

Dd listened to her very carefully because she looks up to this coach more than anyone.
It was completely irresponsible for this coach to mention this in front of your daughter. I'd be livid. It doesn't matter if this coach is right or not, it should never have been said in front of your daughter. Discreetly maybe - giving you the control on how to handle it. But as mentioned prior, it is quite normal for a girl to gain weight right before a growth spurt-especially in the belly--She's SIX for goodness sakes!!. I would start by working on undoing the damage done by this coach by having a discussion with your daughter regarding whats healthy. And then think long and hard if this is the kind of influence you want around your impressionable daughter - I've fired a beloved pediatrician of 12 years for something similar.

Last edited:
right now, I really don't know what to do but to just assure my dd that she is perfect. I have asked her if anything is bothering her about what was said and she just shrug her shoulders. :( but these couple of days, she has been asking me if the food she's about to eat is healthy or not. I didnt change anything on her diet, and I explained to her what is healthy and not. She's a smart girl, I know she understands. With the gym/coach situation, I don't know... we love the gym and this coach.

Have a talk with her. If this talk continues it would be a deal breaker for me, but give her a chance after you talk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back