Parents Can you shed some light for newbie please?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Busymum

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My daughter's coach came to me at the end of her session today and said they think she is incredibly flexible and shows a lot of promise and that that they are keeping an eye on her for development squad ---- she kind of said this and ran as she was super busy so I was hoping you guys might be able to tell me what this means for her exactly?

I'm assuming it isn't the team as she is only 5 and has only been going to gym for 2 months ish.

Thanks!

our development squad is the equivalent of the US pre-team, its to improve their condition and shapes so that they can develop into competitive gymnasts, start looking for a part-time job to feed the gym habit ! ;)

Thanks Iwannabemargo. Am slightly worried about the cost....

its alright, it will only increase by a few pounds a month, its the old boiling a frog thing, then you turn round and the car drives itself there !

Hmmm just been speaking to my auntie --- I was telling her what Millie's coach had said and she thinks it is too soon. That I should wait at least a year. Her daughter was on development squad at a similar age and dropped out as it was too much for her and she ended up hating gymnastics.

I would hate for this to happen to my girl as she LOVES it right now. Is 5 (6 in Jan) too early to be considering development squad?

it depends where you are and the hours/ child.

Mine started gym after she was 6, went a term of rec then moved to the development squad about 5 months after starting, but it was only twice a week, then three times, then four times so the hours gradually increased. For her we skipped the Friday as she couldn't do the 8.30 finish ( way past her bedtime by the time we got home) but the gym accommodated that.

As long as she is coping and eager to go every week then I would say go for it.

If you are concerned then there are UK coaches on here who may be able to give you the low down on your club - some nurture and there are some who have a reputation for breaking small girls, you can always PM them and ask.

Both of my girls started preteam at 5 (just-turned 5 for one, about five-and-a-half for the other). They both loved it and are still going strong. I guess the question is, what level of commitment does the development team require? My five year olds did 4 hours, two hours twice a week. That was enough hours to get them strong and ready to join team the following year, but not so much that they burned out or felt like they couldn't do anything else. It worked out fine for us, you'll have to determine if your daughter is ready for a few more hours of gymnastics and if you're ready to follow the path to team if it turns out that she loves it and wants to continue. If you are not ready for the financial and time sacrifices that the team will require a year or two down the road, I'd keep her in recreational gymnastics.

@Firefly gymnastics over here, whilst not cheap, is nothing like as expensive as it is for you in the states.

If she's not 6 until january she can't compete in formal comps/grade/levels until 2017 (she could do invitationals), so I think there would be no harm in keeping her in rec until she's begging to go to gymnastics more. Im sure most coaches would understand and by saying no to development now shouldn't close that door.
It sounds like she's doing great!

Thanks guys. I know it is a steady progression -- 2 1 hour sessions to start with then builds slowly from there I think. She is telling me she wants to go more than once a week and never ever seems to tire. Complete ball of energy ---- guess we'll just see how it all pans out!

My dd started at the gym shes at now when she was 5, went straight into the development squad doing 9 1/2 hrs over 3 days. By the time she was 6 she was doing 14hrs (she has an afternoon of school every week to go) she turned 7 last month and does 16 1/4 hrs a week. For her its not enough, she'd be there everyday if she could. I worried it would be to much for her, but she copes really well with it.

I think it depends on the kid, my youngest moved into a 4 hour a week preteam before she was 5. She moved to 6 hours A week at 5, and 9 hours A week 5 and A half. Level 3 team, she just turned 6 and is competing now. She loves gymnastics and even after 3 hour practices comes home doing more. I think if your daughter loves it she is at a great age for pre-team :)

its alright, it will only increase by a few pounds a month, its the old boiling a frog thing, then you turn round and the car drives itself there !
This is so totally true. Busymum, welcome. Your at the beginning of a journey. Hope your little one is having fun.

It also depends on the type of training they do in the hours.

At this age it should be a lot of conditioning, basic body shapes and basic skills. Pushing difficulty too fast is just as likely to cause "burnout" as high hours. It needs to be fun. It needs to be paced so your child is desperate to do skill x on beam, rather than being shoved on a beam and told to do it or else.

Thank you sce. She is loving it! I am loving watching her do something she clearly enjoys so much :)

If she's not 6 until january she can't compete in formal comps/grade/levels until 2017 (she could do invitationals), so I think there would be no harm in keeping her in rec until she's begging to go to gymnastics more. Im sure most coaches would understand and by saying no to development now shouldn't close that door.
It sounds like she's doing great!

I know at least 2 regions which have a level 7 from the year you turn 7 so she could begin competing regional levels from 2016. There is also at least one region that allows grades a year earlier so allow grade 14 the year they turn 7 also. Still no rush though. A couple of hours a week would be a good starting point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back