cartwheel help (4 y.o)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

son started learning cartwheels lately. At his gym coaches dont really help them - just letting them jumpo over the mat. Then I am wondering how are they going to learn it?
Shell i help him at home?
If so:
1. Should I support him by holding him a bit?
2. SHould i let him practice at home by himself?
3. How soon did your kid learned that?
4. WHat is the best way to learn cartwheel?
5. How long a day should we practice?

so many questions...

PS we have that cartwheel mat by the way....

Well...i would love to help you but i can't remember not being able to do a cartwheel but i will try.

-first of all i think leave it to the coach they know what they are doing.
-he is 4 they generally want to have fun so although that means training as well he still wants to muck around
-another piece of advice don't pressure him no kid likes doing things they are pressured into and will quit early if you push them.

Don't push it at home. He's 4. Most 4 year olds can't do a cartwheel.

Jumping over the mat is a common, effective drill for learning to get the hips up & over the hands with weight on the hands, & it's especially helpful for kids who don't have a cartwheel direction yet--most 4 year olds don't.

It'll come.

Don't push it at home. He's 4. Most 4 year olds can't do a cartwheel.

Jumping over the mat is a common, effective drill for learning to get the hips up & over the hands with weight on the hands, & it's especially helpful for kids who don't have a cartwheel direction yet--most 4 year olds don't.

It'll come.

I agree completely. You could let him play around with handstands with his belly facing the wall or his feet on the couch. There is a chance he'll fall sideways more that once. Along with the drills he's doing at the gym, he might just decide to put his feet down instead of falling.
I actually learned a cartwheel while trying to do handstands when I was little. I kept falling over :).

Cartwheel - Progressions and Development

the basic drills of jumping over the mat with both feet at a time and one feet at a time.

some beginners may need to just work on the upper body strength and ability to not have their arms collapse.

again, at that age, it is probably best to work most things in the context of "play" rather than work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back