WAG Cartwheel Official Hand position: T-Hand or 45-45 degrees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

michellethomas

Gymnast
Reaction score
What is the ideal hand position for a Cartwheel?

In Round off , they teach the T-Hand position below. Should I also do same for cartwheel, or use 45/45 degrees hands?

What do most professional Level 10 and Olympic Gymnastics do? I am guessing, beginners use 45-45, and professionals use T-hand for Cartwheel.
I am hearing different things from colleagues and coaches. Looking for USA gymnastics or judge's thoughts also.

1641249175496.png

also, what gives the most points or is optimal in judge's eyes on floor routine cartwheel?

Score-wise, it makes no difference; there's no deduction for hand position in a cartwheel or roundoff to the best of my knowledge.

I generally have a mild preference for the T-hand position, but really it's whatever's comfortable and effective.

Score-wise, it makes no difference; there's no deduction for hand position in a cartwheel or roundoff to the best of my knowledge.

I generally have a mild preference for the T-hand position, but really it's whatever's comfortable and effective.

Hi statistically what percent of male and female gymnasts use T vs 45 in your experience ?

Hi statistically what percent of male and female gymnasts use T vs 45 in your experience ?
Can't say I've bothered to keep track. T-hands seem to work better on beam, since the hands fit a bit more comfortably in that position, but otherwise I don't think it makes a real difference.

Generally I start off by teaching T-hands, but I don't bother enforcing it past the very beginning stages. Athletes intuitively adjust from there to whatever feels comfortable.

Last edited:
I teach T hands for cartwheels, once they are ready.

It’s just easier for them to transition later on and be in the habit of Y hands when it’s time to turn their cartwheels into round offs and when they take their cartwheels to beam.

It also promotes a good turn out of the cartwheel, which is useful when we teach them side aerials.

I do not teach the hands in either. I actually don't teach anything unless there is some sort of issue.

Also don't teach the hands in a straight line. I teach a slight overturn.

Wrist injuries at our gym have gone down greatly now that we use "natural hand position".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Best Of All Time: Layout Jaeger

UPDATE: The Liukin Club

Back