WAG Cartwheel on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

I think my least favorite skill ever is a cartwheel on beam. I had it very consistent and good throughout the summer, but since I have taken 2 falls that required time out/doc visit and seen 1 fall. I split the beam and somehow landed on my head, had a concussion was out for 3 weeks. Then at open gym I watched a girl miss her hand (don't even ask she forgot to put her contacts in....) and she shattered her elbow/broke her arm. About a month ago I 'almost fractured' my ankle but just had a pretty bad sprain. Some people might remember-it was originally possibly a growth plate thing-but they diagnosed it as a close to fractured ankle (next to growth plate). I did that by doing something on LOW beam and rolled my ankle and landed on it or something... I truly don't know what happened, it all was so fast.
Anyways, now that I can start some beam again I'm terrified. Mostly for my cartwheel, but my handstand, dismount, etc. I am fine with bwo, bhs, etc. Any tips for cartwheels? It isn't so much I can't do it-I'm just really scared. Please help, thanks in advance (P.S. I need it since I have states next week!)

DD coach says make sure you finish with your hands over the beam and you won't fall. Basically arms next to ears above head and once you are steady hands out to finish.

That may or may not make sense to you since I am just a mom that happened to hear that comment at a practice and have seen it work. Guess it works for all beam skills.

Anyway, good luck. Dd hates that cartwheel.

I agree with gwenmom. When I watch my daughter do these I can tell almost immediately if she will stay on or not. She, like you, is not a fan. When she tries to control the motion at all....such as slowing it down or bending her legs..she is not centered nor are her arms and she falls off. But when she does it normal speed with legs straight overhead and keeps arms in tight by head she lands them! Seems so simple but fear kicks in and makes you do things you think are helping your efforts but are actually hurting your efforts. I tell her I'd rather see a pretty cartwheel with good form and a fall than a bad cartwheel with bad form that she miraculously lands. In general if she sticks to those guidelines she makes it 85% of the time! Best of luck to you!!!!

Any tips for cartwheels? It isn't so much I can't do it-I'm just really scared. Please help, thanks in advance (P.S. I need it since I have states next week!)

Hello, good luck with getting your cartwheel working again! I'm just a Mum and watching my DD start to learn these in her practises - they do look tricky but so nice when landed well.

If I were you I would confess how you feel to your coach, and ask for some help. Your feelings are SO normal after an injury that they must suspect you are at least a bit worried about doing this skill after hurting yourself. You could try going back to basics: working them on a line on floor, then roll-out floor beam, low beam with blocks on the sides, then take them away before moving back to high beam with a spot? Visualisation can be a help too. The baby steps approach would help you to build back your confidence :)

Best of luck - If you have done it before you know you can do it and you will get it again! Try not to put too much pressure on yourself :)

Always try and kick over the top. It's easier to get hurt if you chicken out and do a baby kick around the side. Work on alinement, and pucks hong through you shoulders!! Good Luck!!

You might want to try to going from the lowest beam in your gym and then gradually move up as you feel more comfortable with it. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back