Parents Checking in

• Thread starter Thread starter Mariainlv
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
M

Mariainlv

Well, things have been interesting! We moved to back to California and while I am grateful, man has it been a struggle! My DH has a job now(hurrah) but his hours are tough. As a result we had to make a tough call. At one point we thought about putting Js gymnastics on hiatus but were able to come up with a workaround. We moved from the super gym in the area, about 40 minutes away, to a gym very close to the house. There just was no way around it, while still being a responsible, available parent to our two other kids. In classic J fashion, she is OK. I feel bad that she got used to the new coaches and then we had to make the change but such is life. I am so lucky and grateful that J is a happy, easy going kid.

This weekend they had a low key meet and J attended. The coach that takes the kids to the meet is not one that works at the gym (whole other story) so J had never really met her. Less than ideal but worked out OK though I think. It was a "cash bash" so instead of medals the girls got "money" based on scores to spend on stuff. J was thrilled with the necklace, earrings and nail polish she "bought". I was thrilled she was happy and had fun.

This gym is very small (5 girls on the team) and does not compete in the fall when compulsary "season" is going on, they only go to 3-4 invitationals in the spring per year so definitely something different.

I am sure you are thankful your husband has steady work, but it is hard when the hours are tough and make it hard to really be a family. My DH is working out of state for the next 2 months and it is hard, but we are thankful.

Glad that J is still able to do gym! Hope that she likes her new gym. I definitely couldn't drive 40 minutes a day to gym. I can't imagine having to stay and the cost of gas would not allow a drive back and forth, so we would have to do the same thing and find whatever we could closer. I don't think my other child should have to grow up in the gym and be there constantly. All the family has to be taken into consideration when gymnastics comes into play, at least in my opinion. I am sure that J will adjust and probably just be thankful she can still DO gym! I know my kiddo would be happy doing some gym than no gym. Hang in there!!

Glad your daughter is doing well with the change. Do you plan to keep her at this gym or change if your husband's job situation changes?

40 mins each way is definitely a rough commute even under good circumstances! I'm glad your daughter is adapting well to her new gym.

Mariposa, yes above all else I am grateful we both have jobs and a home for our family. When put in the correct perspective, its crystal clear. I hope the two months pass quickly for your family.

Cathiann, Im not sure where this path will lead. J is happy and for now thats good enough. DH just asked me the same thing. What are we going to do when/if things settle down? The real issue for us is that there are no other options that are closer than 30 to 40 minutes away with no traffic. Couple that with the desire to not move her again and we are left in limbo.

I'm glad you found something that works well for your family. We drive 40 minutes or so to gym and it's rough. Really it's more than 40 minutes because I have to drive to get her the opposite direction from the gym, so it takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes to go get her after work and then get to the gym. At that point, there's no way I'm going to turn around and drive back home and then back to get her and then back to the house. I don't want to be in the car that long and I can't afford the gas. So I definitely feel your pain.

So nice to hear from you Marianlv. I was wondering if things had settled down for you guys! Glad that hear that J is adapting well to the new gym! I am grateful that my DD's gym is only about 10 min from the house. There were definatly other options here but like you I was not willing to drive 30 min to get her there. The cost of gym alone can break you and then to add gas money on top of it? YIKES!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back