Parents Child Interested in TOPS Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

nillz

Proud Parent
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that this is posted in the right place. I have a child who is urging us to let her be tested for the TOPS program. Has anyone's child gone through the testing? I feel like we almost need a separate coach to train her for this.

I looked online and saw the requirements. My child is currently in level 4 and can do advanced skills. It seems to me that she should have someone training her for the TOPS requirements because this is not something I am comfortable with her practicing on her own. Her gym is not focused on training the children to move ahead. How do you address this with the gym/coaches? How do you find a gym focused on TOPS program? Any kind of insight is appreciated.

I can only offer an opinion based on my personal experience. I do know that an individual's experience can vary depending on location and gym. Its been about 5-6 years since mine participated in TOPS. TOPS with the right coaching staff and gym can be a very productive experience in developing a young gymnast in strength AND proper technique and form. We were fortunate to have a gym like that and it really laid the foundation for the future success that she is having now. BUT, many gyms use TOPS as another revenue stream that serves as a gateway to additional hours and tuition.

Is TOPS worth it? I don't believe it is a requirement for success. All the gyms that produce elites do not generally participate in TOPS. And while a few that have done TOPS have gone on to elite success or DP success, I believe the majority have either left the sport or just didn't develop on the trajectory they thought.

Similar to a girl pursuing elite, I would only pursue it if your child is the type that wants that challenge, even though logically there is very little extra benefit to being elite or TOPS (some might argue its overall negative). I certainly understand and appreciate personal desire to say "ya I climbed that mountain".

And yes, there should be specific coaching to work towards TOPS testing. If you must find a gym, obviously you need to talk to coaches, I would be wary of gyms that allow anyone to join a TOPS program (not to sound elitist) since it might indicate they are not serious about success. It's not an easy thing, and its a big commitment at an early gymnastics age. So you want a coaching staff that has a proven eye for talent and evaluation of talent. The gyms that I saw that had success with TOPS gymnasts when we went through had only 1-3 gymnasts that they were coaching. Good luck!

How old is your daughter? I find that most people interested in TOPS have missed the cut-off. My 10yr old daughter is scheduled to go to TOPS National Testing in June. I can't imagine getting her prepared for this without specialized coaching. The skills needed for the skills test are pretty far above level 4.

How old is your daughter? I find that most people interested in TOPS have missed the cut-off. My 10yr old daughter is scheduled to go to TOPS National Testing in June. I can't imagine getting her prepared for this without specialized coaching. The skills needed for the skills test are pretty far above level 4.
My daughter is 8, and will be 9 next month. Would love to hear more about your experience with the process so far.

My daughter did it 8 or 9 years ago or so. Great experience... very hard. She made it to TOPS A camp. She started her 9 year old year and worked very hard... 10 year old year she made it to TOPS A camp. She was a L7 her first year and a L8 her second year. She ended up being a L10 at age 11 (7 years) and is now in college doing great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

NEW COMBO for Suni Lee? 🥇

Back